Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 09:38   #1

Boat: jeanneau 44i
Wilkerson (Walter B. Jones) Bridge-NC

Has anyone had recent experience with the Wilkerson (or Walter B. Jones) Bridge at Mile 125.9 in the ICW?
I have a Jeanneau 44i (45' monohull) that has a vertical draught of somewhere between 63' and 65', plus whip antenna. I am trying to get a more precise measure on my boat, primarily because of this bridge. I am going north from the BVIs/Caribbean next spring and may choose to go outside around the Outer Banks just to avoid this bridge. Any recent experience with it would be appreciated. Looks like tidal change in this area is so minimal that it won't be of any help.
tombriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:02   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Wilkerson (Walter B. Jones) Bridge-NC

Unfortunately, the clearance at that bridge can be difficult to anticipate in advance... Although the water level fluctuations through there are typically wind-driven, in my experience they don't always seem to follow any predictable pattern...

What is your boat's draft? You should be able to carry at least 6.5' - or a bit more by playing the tide at Oregon Inlet - through the Pamlico Sound route and passage to the E of Roanoke Island... IMO, that can often be the preferred way to go anyway, combining a stop in Ocracoke with the possibility of some nice sailing on the Sound, can make for more pleasant trip than motoring up that part of the Ditch...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:49   #3

Boat: jeanneau 44i
Re: Wilkerson (Walter B. Jones) Bridge-NC

Thanks for your reply. I've just decided I'm too close to make it worth it, and I was already prepared to go around the Outer Banks. It's more or less the same distance, and admittedly the OB has its own issues, but with a professional captain and 3 experienced crew we'll do fine. A little money for the captain, but could have been more for mast damage, etc. from the bridge.
My draft is 6'8", by the way.
tombriggs is offline   Reply With Quote