Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 08:08   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40.3 Sun Odyssey - Devante's Dream
Wintering in Bermuda

Hello All,

I am considering repositioning Devante's Dream (a Jeanneau 40.3) to Bermuda for the winter (Nov-May). I'd be staying aboard occasionally for a few weeks at a time.

There is a company there, Bermuda Yacht Services, that can provide a mooring ball,l check on the boat and perform maintenance.

It appears from what I have been reading that the govt welcomes transient vessels and is flexible in extending the amount of time that the boat and crew can stay, etc..

My question is directed to somone that has wintered in Bermuda, I'd like to hear about your experiences, docking/mooring, weather, customs issues, etc..

TYIA,

Eric
S/V Devante's Dream
Lying Marblehead MA
elangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 08:56   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Born, raised and live in Bermuda.
Our Custom and Immigration people are very receptive to your type of plan.
Due to some alledged incidents in the past, of yachties working illegally (we have VERY strict rules about that), one does have to prove that one is above-board financially generally.
I have no financial interest in the company you named, but I do know the owners well, and can tell you they are highly regarded around here. The young man who owns the company, has global experience as captain of large sailing vessels.
Old 21-06-2010, 12:38   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40.3 Sun Odyssey - Devante's Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Born, raised and live in Bermuda.
Are you keeping Blue Stocking in Bermuda full time? Which harbor?

Eric
elangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 12:57   #4

Eric,

I am a Bermudian by birth. I keep the boat in front of my house on a swinging mooring, at the western end of Ferry Reach, one bridge west of St.Georges harbour.
Old 15-12-2010, 08:39   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
As a son of the limestone myself and nearing a time where I will be moving my boat back home for a couple of years I was happy to see Blue Stocking on the Forum.
I was an RHADC and Jews bay mooring buoy guy some 11 years ago when I left and have asked around some old friends for info on renting a buoy either in Jews Bay ( Marisol is a little big for the bay ) or close the the RHADC. Not much info returning from them. I was wondering if you had any contacts for rental buoys near either the RHADC or the RBYC?
I still have about a year and a half before I will be doing my Bermuda stay as we are doing the loop to Grand Cayman, Grenada, Antigua, BVI then BDA.
I have often been told I plan to far ahead ..... ha.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisClipper View Post
As a son of the limestone myself and nearing a time where I will be moving my boat back home for a couple of years I was happy to see Blue Stocking on the Forum.
I was an RHADC and Jews bay mooring buoy guy some 11 years ago when I left and have asked around some old friends for info on renting a buoy either in Jews Bay ( Marisol is a little big for the bay ) or close the the RHADC. Not much info returning from them. I was wondering if you had any contacts for rental buoys near either the RHADC or the RBYC?
I still have about a year and a half before I will be doing my Bermuda stay as we are doing the loop to Grand Cayman, Grenada, Antigua, BVI then BDA.
I have often been told I plan to far ahead ..... ha.
Sending a PM
Old 15-12-2010, 14:55   #7

I would add to what Blue Stocking said that you will owe duty if the boat is in Bermuda more than 180 days. Last time I looked it was 55% of the value ofp the boat (add 1% if you bring it in through Hamilton).
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:20   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Hannah, Is there not a hurricane season extension to the 180 day rule?
Doh! but then I read the months he wants to be there and yep that won't apply and they will start chasing him for duty in Feb.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda