Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Yanmar Parts in the West Indies

I need some engine parts for a 2GM20F Euro 18 HP engine. Ive talked to Budget Marine in St Martin but they are responding very slow and saying they have to order them in.

Ive searched and found most suppliers are in the UK (Euro engine?). Ive found one supplier in the US, but they only ship to the North East US, evidently some agreement with Yanmar....

Any suggestions? Worst case I guess I can ship to a friend in the US North East and reship......
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
The Yanmar dealer in St. Martin is Simpson Bay Diesel, located up the road from Island Water World. I bought my diesel from them, and it was shipped from the East Coast of the US, no problems.
I found that Island Water World was more helpful for serious boat maintenance issues, partly because they give better discounts to contractors and are staffed by more former/current boat owners.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58   #3

Thanks. Do you have contact info for them? Their website is currently reporting "Service unavailable", ie the website is offline completely right now...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:28   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've used Simpson Bay Diesel a few times. They are next to Island Water World. They were prompt, efficient, and reasonable. By the way, Bobbiy's new boatyard will open in the lagoon, Cole Bay in the next few months (before hurricane season) and the yard in Great Bay will close and become a megayacht hub.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 14:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Thanks. Do you have contact info for them? Their website is currently reporting "Service unavailable", ie the website is offline completely right now...
I'm not surprised, this is Sunday and the office is closed with the computer turned off (island-time). This is a very busy time for them as the mega-yachts prepare to scoot to the Med for the Caribbean hurricane season.
Trust me on this. It's far better to visit their office and get your name on their list of things to worry about.
Old 11-04-2010, 18:28   #6

Websites are not connected to desk computers, and it is responding, its just giving an error. Do you have a phone or other contact so I can see if they have the parts before I make the trip? Im not in St Martin.
Old 11-04-2010, 20:22   #7

My information was based on several visits to St Martin from '02 to spring of '09. I'm currently in Vancouver, Washington. Perhaps someone in the area could offer assistance. If you've talked to Budget Marine in St. Martin, maybe they could provide a phone number.
At that time the staff numbered about 6, which included a manager, an office person and the rest were in the field, and their focus was on generating revenue by providing a service rather than dinking around with computers.
Schedules, appointments, and general commerce move at a different pace in the Bahamas and Caribbean.
A side note, several of the established boat vendors at St Martin have a two tiered priceing system, one for those who display wealth and one for those who don't. Guess who waits?
Simpson Bay Diesel is closed for the month of October, due to the lack of business in the middle of the hurricane season.

Tags
yanmar