Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 11:43   #46

Re: Yellow flagging the Bahamas?

Thanks Capt C, I was getting tired of reading the post sundowner, invincibility personality complex, responses. LOL, These are probably coming from "the Georgetown mayors" who I've had to deal with in the past. After saving a dinghy for a fellow cruiser in the middle of the night. The "mayor" of the anchorage took the dinghy and returned it the next day to the owner while happily accepting a bottle of wine and saying nothing of my efforts in bad weather in the middle of the night to save the dinghy which was half way across the bay. Quality individual.

I've personally seen that some islands have different categories of visas. So, the person in St Thomas who makes statements like "Any island" is just plain wrong. St Lucia also has a provision under their laws for 24 hour stays not requiring a full check in. And, I know for a fact that San Adres has this category as well since the agent told me about it when I checked in. So, folks making these statements clearly have not been exposed to the nuances of clearance laws and have not traveled to many Caribbean islands.

I appreciate some facts being brought to the discussion.

To answer the other questions asked, yes, I wanted to island hop to try to stay in good weather and get some rest. But, given all the drama which may ensue in trying to pass through the bahamas, I may just stay north as someone suggested. I believe they call it the I65 route.

I appreciate those who took the time to reply with detailed info.

John
jhovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 11:54   #47
cruiser

Why not stop a few places? What impact could the $300 really have? You never know what weather will pop up. Have you done this before? I don't get why it's a big deal.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 13:38   #48

I'm personally revolted at the cost of a check in in the bahamas. $300 for 4-5 days of transit is just not worth it in my judgment.
Old 28-01-2014, 14:31   #49

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhovan View Post
I'm personally revolted at the cost of a check in in the bahamas. $300 for 4-5 days of transit is just not worth it in my judgment.
I like I65 route, but sometimes it is not an option either because the boat, weather and owner.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 15:05   #50

UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF THE SEA
Old 28-01-2014, 15:38   #51

Capt C,

After studying the "Right of innocent passage" laws, it appears to me that you are able to navigate through sovereign waters legally and can stop and anchor for "force majeure". My research says force majeure are unexpected things outside of your control. Thus, it appears to me that an incoming weather front that was not predicted would be a "force majeure". Thus, you would legally be able to stop and anchor as long as you didn't leave your boat or interact with third parties.

Would love to hear more thoughts from folks that are versed in this law. Mayors and sundowner warriors need not reply.

John
Old 28-01-2014, 17:01   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, San Andres is a part of Columbia and that's very different from being a sovereign nation in the Carib.

And cruise ships do pay, for every passenger on board, at every nation they make land in. Buy a cruise ship ticket and look at the "port and entry" fees that are tacked on, they're not insignificant.

"ps. I believe there are maritime laws that allow stopping for safety. ie. Single handed sailor needing sleep. "
I'd love to hear that conversation. You just try explaining, that you have been violating international laws requiring keeping a sufficient watch at all times, by single-handing for more than a day trip. One could easily argue that makes your vessel manifestly unsafe for the voyage, which gives any uniform the right to arrest the vessel. (And yes, 'arrest' is the exact admiralty term.)
It is one thing to say "We're a crew of four, we've been battling a hurricane for three days, we're exhausted. Au succours!" and quite another to say you're alone and sleepy.

Stop looking for ways to get in trouble, and just invest in some fuel bladders that can be collapsed and stowed out of the way, unlike bulky jugs. Although in some destinations, you could easily sell the jugs for more than what you bought them for, if you weren't going to need them again.

Odds are that the folks in San Andres are interested in encouraging visitors to stop by, as opposed to the Bahamas, where there are too many damned tourists and lightening their wallets is a full-time job for some people. Which is pretty much routine in most of the world. It ain't the 1950's any more.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 17:12   #53

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhovan View Post
Capt C,

. Thus, it appears to me that an incoming weather front that was not predicted would be a "force majeure". Thus, you would legally be able to stop and anchor as long as you didn't leave your boat or interact with third parties.

Would love to hear more thoughts from folks that are versed in this law. Mayors and sundowner warriors need not reply.

John
Don't think weather predicted or not would be considered "force majeure" unless you were disabled and wrecked by it or it prevented you from fulfilling a contract. Then you could argue the point. Something has to occur before you can declare force majeure. Hiding from weather doesn't seem to fit the definition. All this to avoid $300?

Mayor of Norman's Cay.
Old 28-01-2014, 17:15   #54

"Stop looking for ways to get in trouble"

Is that what trying to understanding the International maritime law means today? It's one thing to understand the laws. It's something else entirely weather an independent nation honors those rights. If you believe the Bahama government will not respect international law, then please give us an example. In fact, one boater said they honored the law when they stopped to anchor. So, not sure that someone obeying the laws is now a "troublemaker." That doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, I'm certain the boaters who challenged the Florida anchoring laws were considered "troublemakers" as well. But, there persistence has made boating better for everyone who want to anchor in Florida. The rights under the law were restored to boaters due to their efforts.

Second, that's the entire point about San Adres. There are different categories of check ins in some countries. You don't pay a full check in fee. My original request was to identify if the Bahamas had a short term check in process. It appears that they don't. Cruise ships fall under these secondary check ins.
John
Old 28-01-2014, 20:10   #55

Boat: Cornado 25

On a lighter note....

Re: San Andres
You haven't lived till you've seen a 300# Columbian on the beach in his speedo..
Call me Ishmael
Old 28-01-2014, 20:36   #56

lmao cap c
Old 28-01-2014, 21:14   #57

Cap c, I took this while in San Andres. I think it's a message for the mayors.
Old 01-02-2014, 14:39   #58

Boat: Beneteau 323

Back to the original question.

You are expected to request permission to enter and leave Nassau harbor. You can also expect to be boarded and have your paperwork checked. The yellow flag pass-through is not going to cut it there.

I say pay the $150/300 and spend a week or two in the Exumas to get your money's worth. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 14:42   #59

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Mayor of Norman's Cay.
Hey!?! I thought I was Mayor of Norman's Cay today. Don't see you anywhere to stake your claim.

svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13   #60

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Hey!?! I thought I was Mayor of Norman's Cay today. Don't see you anywhere to stake your claim.

You have permission to enter Normans Cay. Just don't anchor in the Mayor's spot!! And here's the spot, there is a reserved sign on the bottom. The spot is on a line between the tallest palm on Gilligans Island and the big black rock on the beach.

Mayor of Norman's Cay, with chains of office around his neck, cleaning conch for the New Years Day Levee.

Tags
Bahamas