Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 07:43   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Your Favorite Spots in the Chesapeake

We just entered the Chesapeake from the C ad D Canal and are planning to head south and would like to take some time to find some of those special places we have heard exist. We do have a 6 ft draft.
Right now we are in the Sassafras River and it is lovely here.
Thanks for your help.
We do need to anchor at Annapolis and dinghy in for dinner with school friends and are not sure about where to anchor. We are a large, heavy shrimp boat and like to be off by ourselves a bit.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Long list Baltimore inner harbor. Anchor by the light ship Lively city aquarium etc... There is a Safeway in canton a block in from the water You can see it from the channel. so good spot to provision. You found the Sassafrass love it there. Chester river any where. St michaels nice town has a grocery but not as conveinant as baltimore. Favorite anchorage is the other side of the miles river inside fairview point. Rhode river up by the smithsonian land very nice anchorage. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miles river copy.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	19973   Click image for larger version

Name:	rhode river.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	19974  

Name:	canton safeway copy.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	19979  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:32   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
for me it will always be the Eastern shore. You might want to explore the literary heritage of that area. Check out John Barth's Tidewater Tales, William Warner's Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay, and James Michener's Chesapeake.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:46   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
There are so many spots it's difficult to pick a favourite. I prefer the quieter spots on the lower western shore. Fishing Bay and the area around Fleets Bay. I guess you'll have to go to St. Michaels as everyone does, the museum there is worth a visit.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:02   #5
cruiser

There are too many places. We draw 6' too and are anchored in Solomons heading now to find dog swimming holes along the Chesapeake. The other places mentioned above are wonderful. From a trawler perspective, I'll add the following locations where we're going over the next 10 days or so (more secluded, pretty, and good dog swimming):

Solomons - we're at the Solomons-2 anchorage right now.

St Marys - our next destination.

Piankatank River (various places - we like Berkley Island).

There are too many places to go on the Chesapeake to name them in a posting. Every turn, creek, and bay provides endless exploring. If you come across us, get the dinghy down and come over for a Dark & Stormy! Our latest track and position is always current.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39   #6

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
We'll be watching the New Orleans Saints on the Magothy River this afternoon if you'd like to join us. Our dock can accommodate your boat, which we'd love to see. And since my grandparents were from Breaux Bridge and New Iberia, La. we'd love to hear more of your stories from your days of rebuilding your shrimper in Bayou Country! Because, frankly, things are different there!

Let us know!
Kitty

PS if your wife (or you) likes reading romances, I highly recommend the Nora Roberts series about boat building brothers on the Eastern Shore. Sea Swept, Inner Harbor, Rising Tides and Chesapeake Blue. Just something different.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Don't forget Oxford on the Tred Avon R. While you are ther head on up the Choptank to Cambridge. You might consider the short cut at Tillman Is. on the way.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
St Marys river anchor off Dennis point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	st marys carthegena creek.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	19989  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 16:42   #9

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
for me it will always be the Eastern shore. You might want to explore the literary heritage of that area. Check out John Barth's Tidewater Tales, William Warner's Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay, and James Michener's Chesapeake.
hi, Bash-

Any further ideas on spots on the Eastern shore?

A friend needs some data on winds along the Chesapeake, so we're trying to hit a couple of quiet spots along both shores.

thanks much!
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 16:46   #10

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Must hit Yorktown...goos deepwater public pier...Yorktown pub is on the beach..good grub..and of course the battlefield...can hit Williamsburg too..

Smithfield will be a bit iffy, you'd have to do the channel at high tide, but it would be ok...Smithfield staion has a nice restaurant/hotel, and some historic crap to see.
Old 17-10-2010, 16:57   #11

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
We enjoyed Urbana - nice little town, good restaurant right at the marina.

Also enjoyed Smithfield - we draw 5' so we didn't have any problem, I recall 7-8' all the way in. Very nice little protected anchorage at the end of the creek.
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 18:26   #12

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Golly- so many! We are really spoiled.

Annapolis, of course. Further down, the Rhode River is stunning and Galesville has an interesting general store with great apple pie.

Solomons is great for access to groceries, restaurants and a West Marine within walking distance. If you are looking for gorgeous, go a little further up the Patuxent to St. Leonard's Creek.

On the Eastern Shore- We usually visit Oxford once or twice a season. Onancock is a charming little town. Crisfield is not pretty but there is a grocery store within walking distance. Down at the bottom, Cape Charles is like a postcard from the 40s or 50s. Kiptopeke (anchor behind the cement boats) is unique.

On the Potomac, we like Smith Creek on the MD side. On the VA side, there are too many beautiful spots in the Northern Neck to count. We're fond of the Coan as a more isolated anchorage.

On the Bay, Deltaville is more marina than town and cruiser friendly. Urbanna is another charming town and worth the trip up the Rappahannock.

Those are the highlights I can think of off the top of my head.

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay