Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 22:21   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Some Bad News

So sad but obviously avoidable.

Excuse my cynicism, but what quality of investigation will be done by the owners lawyers? (Hill Dickinson)

I would urge the parents to insist on an independent enquiry re the safety procedures they had in place for high work on a superyacht and specifically what part of that procedure failed?

The Owner and his captain are responsible and should be prepared to offer more than just condolences to the family IF the accident was not a result of the young crew's actions alone.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:34   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: 18 year old girl dies in mast fall

As a dad also, what a nightmare for the family. My heart goes out to all of them and my condolences.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 23:02   #18

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
As a dad also, what a nightmare for the family. My heart goes out to all of them and my condolences.
It definitely hits home when the kids are involved. Here's a girl chasing and catching her dream and in awe of her surroundings and lifestyle and her future gets cut short beyond belief. In a NY minute. Hope the parents make some peace thru it all.
Old 17-03-2017, 02:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Some Bad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Excuse my cynicism, but what quality of investigation will be done by the owners lawyers? (Hill Dickinson)

I would urge the parents to insist on an independent enquiry re the safety procedures they had in place for high work on a superyacht and specifically what part of that procedure failed?

The Owner and his captain are responsible and should be prepared to offer more than just condolences to the family IF the accident was not a result of the young crew's actions alone.
Considering her alleged lifelong experience being more or less raised on boats my suspicion would focus more on deck level than any knots she may have tied on her bosuns chair.. I know I double check when I use one.. also a bit strange the safety line also failed (if one existed) to stop her fall.
Could it be as simple as a careless wrap around a self tailing winch while someone answered their mobile phone..??

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 02:28   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My thoughts also boatie, but even if the mistake was in her own tackle, this was a professional yacht requiring professional standards of safety checks and procedures.
On big yachts, it is a lot easier to kill someone, thus requiring a much tighter supervision of junior crew
As employee's that responsibility to provide safe work practices, rest with the employer.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 02:49   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

My deepest sympathy is extended to family and all who knew her.

Angela

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 04:01   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Very sad, such a young person whose interest was so close to our own.
Can only hope she enthusiastically took on this job.
I go aloft commercially, but ONLY with MY trusted colleague at the base.
Condolences to the family and Mark's community.
Old 17-03-2017, 07:03   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I agree with you totally.

In recent years Workplace Health and Safety has chucked the idea of operator error out. The person doing the task is expected to make errors and the safety system must take that into account and still protect them.

One would think that any roofing contactor has a failsafe so if his knot comes undone he doesn't die. It can't just be 'clip on and hope'.

Up a mast I always have a safety line. I always enforce anyone going up my mast to have one. They go up the halyard and the safety line is another halyard so if the first breaks they only fall a foot or so.

I think this tragedy needs a proper investigation. If we can enforce better,safer working conditions for all people up masts then that's great. And about time!

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:05   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Bethany would have turned 19 today.

Happy Birthday.

How her parents must be feeling.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:58   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

In recent years Workplace Health and Safety has chucked the idea of operator error out. The person doing the task is expected to make errors and the safety system must take that into account and still protect them.

One would think that any roofing contactor has a failsafe so if his knot comes undone he doesn't die. It can't just be 'clip on and hope'.

Up a mast I always have a safety line. I always enforce anyone going up my mast to have one. They go up the halyard and the safety line is another halyard so if the first breaks they only fall a foot or so.

I think this tragedy needs a proper investigation. If we can enforce better,safer working conditions for all people up masts then that's great. And about time!

Mark
Incredibly tradgic. Such a young person. The poor parents, I just can't imagine that kind of grief.
Who knows whos responsible, often a number of things (distractions ) occur that can lead to tradgety, but I agree there really is no excuse, the cost in this case is just to great. I see people put to much faith in one line and the operator on the winch, I know a rigger here that always gets pulled up by people he doesn't know on lines he dosent know. Often we just hurry to much, I know I have been stupidly guilty at times.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:28   #26
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Mark
At work I am responsible for weight handling and crane lifts. Interesting how folks go up a mast without much thought as to the gear they are using, and most of this gear being used is not designed or rated to lift humans (it may not meet the required safety standards), and human lifting has more stringent requirements than lifting just weight. Some people trust a self tailing winch to hold them while up a mast, what if the prawl breaks or slips? What if the external halyard sheave breakes? how degraded are your halyards? What is the condition of your shackels? If a back stay, forestay or shroud breaks while your up the mast, what happens and what is the condition of your standing rigging? Just some things to think about before going up the mast...
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:04   #27

Boat: Mason 44

My deepest condolences to the girl's family and what an unfortunate accident.

When I go up the mast, I always have a prusik knot on a safety line which I tie down firmly on the mast cleat. Once I stop to do any work, I would use another short line / sling and clip onto a firm anchor point or wrap it around the mast.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 18:30   #28
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'

Like MarkJ I know the family, and took a call Tuesday PM from the distraught Dad, in Europe at the time.

The picture isn’t her last - she went up the mast many times as part of her work.

There’s an appeal thing, run by another family friend....

https://www.gofundme.com/the-bethany...-memorial-fund
mct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast