Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 17:28   #1

Boat: PSC Orion 27
-2 foot itis

Hi, first time poster but I've followed the advice from these forums for a few years. I hope this is in the proper forum.

Here's my situation; my wife and I bought what I consider the best couples PNW boat we could find (in our price range) a 34' Tanzer 10.5 pilot house. It's in excellent shape and has a lot of 'blue water' attributes; center cockpit, 100 gallons water capacity in separate tanks, solid fiberglass hull, tons of storage, deep fin lead keel, skeg/transom hung rudder, 13000 lb disp seakindly and good capsize ratio. Perfect for sailing the southern gulf islands and the San Juans. However I now find myself alone, two years from retirement and thinking of a more adventurous retirement. I'd like to cruise to Mexico once every couple of years (from Vancouver Island) and at least once to Hawaii. Some things that bother me about taking the Tanzer offshore are the curved pilothouse windows, furling mainsail, and almost too many creature comforts. I don't need a microwave, two T.V.s, bowthruster, hot water on demand, two helms, sleeping for whatever number of guests, etc.

Here's my question; Do I strip the pretties out of the boat, beef up the rigging, frame in and add flat plexiglass widows, get custom curved ones made and 'run what you brung' or start with a proven smaller boat and outfit it over the next two years.
I like the looks of the Tartan 31 and the Westerly 34 but don't mind going smaller. Some other cruisers I've ruled out because I don't like having the mainsheet traveller in the cockpit at shin level, great for access but painful, or blocking the companion way. I'd prefer a wheel over a tiller but could go either way. Island packets look good (and Jeff_H endorses them)but I can't help but think of sliding off the helm seat directly onto the wheel shaft.
Anyway just looking for random thoughts and suggestions. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this rambling thread.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:40   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: -2 foot itis

That is a question nearly impossible to answer as it comes down to preferences. It sounds like you are pretty close to what you want in a boat, and a 34-footer is fine to singlehand. Myself, I'm trying to downsize from my Finnsailer 38 motorsailor, which is sort of a big brother of your Tanzer, and I want something that is a sparkling sailboat, that will put a smile on my face, and one I will truly sail everywhere. Don't get me wrong, my boat sails very well, but in a heavy, cruiser sort of way. I miss the simple, small, and tremendous sailing boats I've owned at times. However, if my boat doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time and at a decent price I will probably keep her and be very happy too.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:44   #3

Wow, I used to drool over the Tanzer 34 with the centerboard. I dont think many were made. From what I've seen of the smaller Tanzers they a little above the Bene, Hunter, Catalina build wise. You can take the TV's off as you can the microwave. Keep the hot water heater!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:55   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Goat! Do not strip out anything that is still functional. Much of what you want to remove has been factored in, in the load distribution equation. One day, you'll want to sell this boat. Everything that you are considering removing, is a plus in improving on the asking price; do not dispose of anything. You have a great boat, so get used to it! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

You already have the perfect boat, aside from the roller furling main. As you are still referring to your former wife in the 'present tense' it might be good to wait until you get used to being single before you force yourself to decide. A lot could happen in two years besides making yourself busy fixing up another new-to-you boat. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: -2 foot itis

If everything is bolted down and secure... TV's/Micro.. leave em.. the rigging will be fine without 'beefing up' if the conditions good.. leave it till it needs replacing.. don't worry about the windows to much either.. if you've any sense you'll be sailing away from bad seasons.. not towards them..
Unless 'memories' of past times on the boat bother you I'd keep her..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:23   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I strongly suspect that the amount you spend converting your boat to be what you want will be significantly more than the amount you spend selling your boat and buying a boat that already has the features that you want.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 00:28   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Of course you guys are right. Once I upgraded everything I needed to for resale and paid brokerage fees, I'd probably be paying more for a boat of less 'value'. I'll strip everything out that wasn't put in by Johanne Tanzer and see if it will suit me. She is a very easy boat to sail single handed and does strike a chord with any of the female persuasion that have seen it.
I definitely will be sailing towards good weather, and may actually get to appreciate hot water on demand and refigeration. T.V.s? Well one of them is bolted in, I guess I can live with that.
Oddly enough I saw a Tanzer 22 advertised for sale in Hawaii. I suspect it was shipped over.
I'll see how this summer goes.
Thanks again,
Goat
Old 12-04-2013, 00:56   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

As you seem to like the boat I would keep her. Somethings you might not need, but nonetheless could end up being useful so I would not strip her of the "Toys". Maybe stuff like the Microwave could go, but even that only if you need the room and you don't actually use it.

But on a practical note, even if she is not perfect then you very likely have a very good handle on her plusses and minuses - that will be a learning curve you get to have again with another boat, including surprises!

Rigging, no need to "beef up" - just what was designed, if of unknown vintage (or more than 7-10 years old - pick own timescale!) then prudent to replace. Not sure what your pilothouse windows look like, but plastic windows have come a way since 1976 - could simply replace with new stuff, create a couple of blanks (just in case), add some weather/storm boards when needed or simply not bother........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Goat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:42   #11

Once again thanks to all. It's hard to believe there are so many people who offer free advice to others. I've been following this site for a few years, and it's amazing how much time you guys put in.
I've decided to sell my boat. I still owe on her, and while I could easily pay it off before retirement time, she doesn't fit my minimalist life style.
Any advice on selling a boat? Full fledged or DIY yacht broker, Craigslist, Ebay? Do brokers take trades? CF classifieds seem like a good start.
I put some pictures on my profile, they're from the PO's broker (so don't throw me on the 'worst for sale pictures' thread please).
I won't be able to get to the boat until late June when I'll be putting a new set of sails on her, getting her in order, and taking some better photos, so I've got some time to hear any advice, criticisms etc.
Promise I won't keep bugging you guys after this (until it's time for the new boat) :^)
Thanks again,
Goat
Old 30-04-2013, 21:30   #12

Your boat would be great to take to Mexico. And with that experience to Hawaii. Go with what you have. Go now. It is easier than you think.

Furler? No problem. Unfurl the main once. When you hear Mariachi music roll
It up and toss over the anchor.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Which is the "best" route to sell will depend on her value - but I am guessing that she is above the $10k and project boat / doer upper mark.

You will probably be better off with a Broker locally (Google up similar boats for sale in your locale and see which Brokers have the best online footprint and has full boat listings - and then interview them, not all Brokers created equally!). Also an old fashioned "for sale" board on the boat still works - folks on boats locally are nosey and like to gossip, which spreads the word as well as might spark some interest. "Every little Helps".

I would also create own "boat for sale" website (lots of free stuff around - Webs.com worth a look), does not have to be a polished website (it won't be!) as potential buyers after facts and pics not gloss. The website is not to sell the boat direct (if you have a broker) but to include all the info that a buyer will want, sooner or later (pretty much everything!) you putting all the info in one place online means that when queries crop up you do not have to repeat self endlessly (and for new queries you simply update the website). Much of what you will inlcude will be a duplication of the Brokers listing - but will also be more.......you can include a Link to the Broker in your website.........it also means you can spread the link around the internet (including a for sale ad on CF!).

Unless the sails are blown (or have holes in them!) I would not replace before sale - won't get your money back. If needed send them in for a "service".....would be better off knocking the cost of new sails off the asking price.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35   #14

Thanks Daddle, I just blew coffee all over my keyboard. Mariachi music, good one.

Thanks for the gold David, good stuff there.

I've already ordered the sails, I don't plan on getting my money back for them but I personally couldn't sell a sail boat without sails, and if it takes a couple of summers to sell I'll get a lot of use out of them. The ones that were on there were old timers, the foresail blew apart coming from Blaine, Washington to Nanaimo when we caught the end of a gale this winter. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: -2 foot itis

Personally I'd sell privately... I find the 10% commission offensive considering how little Brokers are prepared to do if your boat is below a certain value..
You can easily create as much coverage yourself on the net with sites like Apolloduck.com which allow free ad's with pictures.. sure you've got to deal with some tyre kickers but they're easy enough to weed out.. I've never used a Broker and only bought through one once.. having that extra 10% to haggle with is well useful..
Average selling times for my previous 13 boats were between 5 days and 18mths..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote