Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 03:08   #211

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: 2015 Another bad year in the Azores..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You're two weeks out from a great circle route crossing and you haven't bothered to investigate the ice conditions?

To each his own. Like last year it is at or past the mean maximum on the pilot charts.

FWIW on our crossing last summer I noticed all the container ships skirted the iceberg limit as did we. I suggest you do the same.
So… what's your point? It is a dynamic system. Would I choose my route based on ice positions now, or two weeks ago, or a month ago, or what? Really, what is your point? You think that it is impossible to evaluate a route in TWO WEEKS!!?? What? Do you suggest I did i it last year? Your use of "bothered" is pretty offensive and also silly, frankly.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 03:11   #212

Okay then, have a nice trip.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 03:12   #213

Quote:
Okay then, have a nice trip.
Well… what was your actual point? Or did you not in fact have one?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 16-06-2015, 03:26   #214

My actual point is that I knew the great circle route was a bad idea last year months before our planned departure by studying the ice patrol chart archives.

Sure it's a dynamic system but if you consider that the past two winters in the northern hemisphere have been some of the worst in recent memory it kinda makes sense that ice would be at a thirty year high. Doesn't it?

You may think you're invincible but take a hint from the container ships which make money off fast trips, they go around the ice because of their precious cargo, which is basically a bunch of consumer crap.

How much is your boat, family, or own life worth to you?

Study the archives. Make your choices. In July of last year the ice was almost as far south as it is today, which is about where it was last year in June. Which is about where it is today.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:34   #215

Quote:
My actual point is that I knew the great circle route was a bad idea last year months before our planned departure by studying the ice patrol chart archives.

Sure it's a dynamic system but if you consider that the past two winters in the northern hemisphere have been some of the worst in recent memory it kinda makes sense that ice would be at a thirty year high. Doesn't it?

You may think you're invincible but take a hint from the container ships which make money off fast trips, they go around the ice because of their precious cargo, which is basically a bunch of consumer crap. How much is your boat, family, or own life worth to you?
Well, it isn't my boat, but I am professionally employed to sail it. The ice is of course a consideration that will be taken into account. I am perfectly aware of it as such, but current conditions are assessed in a contingency basis, as normal. I am beginning to look at the actual weather and conditions at this time because it is realistically as far out as one may go, beyond bland generalisations. This is more than adequate.

Your tone is approaching weird. What made you think that I would opt for a great circle route at all? What makes you think I think myself, the boat in question, or my crew "invincible"? And I am still waiting for the point you were trying to make to me, specifically.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:37   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Thanks for that. Heading out in 2 weeks on that route. Surprised to see so much still around.
This is why I think you are taking the great circle route, because you said you were.

But hey, you're a pro and have it all figured out don't you? You obviously don't need my help, or Jimmy Cornells for that matter, so have a nice trip.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:48   #217

Quote:
This is why I think you are taking the great circle route, because you said you were.

But hey, you're a pro and have it all figured out don't you? You obviously don't need my help, or Jimmy Cornells for that matter, so have a nice trip.
Well furry muff, but I meant the North Atlantic Eastbound. I see where you may have been confused. The GCR is one among many possibilities and certainly not the likeliest given the characteristics of the boat in question, though of course it remains the ideal for simple distance.
Old 16-06-2015, 04:14   #218

Haha. As far as why I thought you thought you were invincible...

...I wasn't gonna say it but, who the hell route plans across the Grand Banks in June and doesn't bother to investigate the ice conditions well in advance?
Old 16-06-2015, 04:20   #219

Quote:
Haha. As far as why I thought you thought you were invincible...

...I wasn't gonna say it but, who the hell route plans across the Grand Banks in June and doesn't bother to investigate the ice conditions well in advance?
Yes I see I was misleading in my original comment. Apologies for that. Though it is part of the transatlantic race so we will likely not be choosing the most conservative or comfortable route, either!
Old 16-06-2015, 05:16   #220

Well that's different, good luck! I hope you have a great ride.

I have a friend sailing on a turboed 50 footer and will be watching. Funny though, I never really thought about the course. As a general race strategy I would be inclined to get as far north as early as possible.

Makes me think about Team Vestas in a way. People so caught up in a race they miss critical details. I wonder how many are planning on going north without considering fishermen, fog, and ice?

Or the fact that the ice limit essentially becomes a lee shore at sea when a gale rolls through and the breeze is from the south?
Old 16-06-2015, 05:40   #221

Quote:

I have a friend sailing on a turboed 50 footer and will be watching. Funny though, I never really thought about the course. As a general race strategy I would be inclined to get as far north as early as possible.

Makes me think about Team Vestas in a way
. People so caught up in a race they miss critical details. I wonder how many are planning on going north without considering fishermen, fog, and ice?

Or the fact that the ice limit essentially becomes a lee shore at sea when a gale rolls through and the breeze is from the south?
I broadly agree though the boat in question has a tricky polar. And… I really hope not! Well, I'll make damn sure of it!
Old 16-06-2015, 05:49   #222

Quote:

Makes me think about Team Vestas in a way. People so caught up in a race they miss critical details. I wonder how many are planning on going north without considering fishermen, fog, and ice?

In any case, as with the 2011 and the VOR as standard, there will no doubt be an ice gate established with positions TBA.
Old 16-06-2015, 06:25   #223

Right you are, to be announced at the skipper's meeting. Point Charlie to avoid Right Whale breeding grounds off Cape Cod and Point Alpha to avoid icebergs.

http://www.transatlanticrace.org/ima...s1-2_clean.pdf
Old 16-06-2015, 06:31   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
In any case, as with the 2011 and the VOR as standard, there will no doubt be an ice gate established with positions TBA.
So a GCR actually beginning at Newport is pretty much out of the question anyhow (not even technically possible in fact without driving the boat through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Southern Ireland and Cornwall), so a route as close as possible to a later calculated GCR once past the ice gate will be likely, weather dependent of course.
Old 16-06-2015, 09:40   #225

Boat: Gib sea 43

One dead giveaway of southerly icebergs is a patch of fog as it cools the air around them. A sudden patch of fog = dead slow!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, azores