Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 06:01   #1

20HP Merc, Honda or Yamaha for Highfield 310 CL FCT dinghy

Hi
I am buying Highfield 310 CL dinghy for my 47ft NautiTech catamaran. Would prefer larger dinghy, but that is all that fits between the hulls. Questions are twofold:

1. Anno 2020, should new 4-stroke Merc, Honda or Yamaha 20HP all be ok (I know everybody has brand preference). I definitely want 4 stroke. Intended use Florida and Bahamas, should be sufficient dealers in all those regions.

2. We are thinking about the FCT version, in essence, the Highfield CL with the steering console vs just the tiller system. Good idea, or not good idea?

Thanks a lot! Enjoy the cruising life!
Joweyenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:45   #2

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: 20HP Merc, Honda or Yamaha for Highfield 310 CL FCT dinghy

You will no doubt be inundated with opinions on these questions, so here is mine.
We have an AB 10VL, which is basically the same size boat as the Highfield 310CL, and have a Yamaha 20hp. We transport 2 regular size adults (125 lbs and 160lbs) and 2 medium size dogs regularly, (4 adults occasionally) and have no problem getting up on a plane. If we have 4 adults we have to be more cognizant of where everyone sits, in relation to weight, to be able to plane. Planing may or may not be important to you, but we generally want to get where we’re going in a reasonable amount of time and not be slogging through messy choppy water every trip away from the mothership. Just because you have an engine/dinghy combo that will plane doesn’t mean every time you get in it you have to go as fast as you can, but it sure is nice to be able to get up and go when you want/need to! We have had this particular dinghy and engine for the last 8 or 9 years now and it works great for us. We certainly wouldn’t want a smaller dinghy or engine! We have enough room for our snorkel gear, cooler, groceries, etc., depending on what we may want to throw in there and where we’re headed. There are times though when we miss the 12’ Caribe we had. You will have to assess how and what you intend to use your dinghy for to be able to make these choices. It isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ choice.

Just my opinion
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 17:37   #3

Re: 20HP Merc, Honda or Yamaha for Highfield 310 CL FCT dinghy

We purchased the 310 CL this year with a Tohatsu 20hp EFI and could not be happier. Came with electric start, navy lights, bilge pump, bench seat cover, foot pump, and Orr’s store inside not on top. The steering wheel console is perfect for us, very easy to handle and there is leg room. If my wife and I are in the dinghy and she sits on bow seat we get up on plane quickly, if we both are on the seat at the wheel it’s a struggle to get on plane I need to stand and lean far forward, same if it’s just me I’m 180. I’ve been told adding fins to the engine will fix that issue, will add them next season.

I would like to have jumped one size up to get a little extra space in front of wheel but I’m towing behind a Beneteau 343 was trying to keep weight down. Weight was a big reason we went with the Highfield and some good reviews from a few owners.

If you have specific question I would be happy to help.
windward34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, honda