Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 02:56   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 30 footer for a family of four to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I would be less likely locked into a particular brand and more into finding one that is well equipped and in good shape....all at the right price. Just like cheechako's example. Lots of boats can make the trip. Decide on some basic parameters and start hunting.
+1

At 30 foot most boats will be capable (with Skipper having half a brain etc)...none will be ideal (all boats are like that ).

I would limit the search parameters as little as possible, say on draft and number of berths / sleeping areas - anything else (that suits your exact wants) being just a bonus. The key on a tight budget will be buying at a good price, in sound condition and with as much equipment (as you want) already onboard (it all takes time and cash to fit - even DIY).

To my eyes the good news is that with the kids still small they a) fit into a smaller boat better and b) largely do what the bloody hell they are told .......and, if all goes well on the intended trip, this boat is unlikely to be the last (next likely to be bigger - as family grows in size) - so you don't need to find "a keeper" now nor over equip her.

Therefore, personally I would keep an eye on resale - and unless you stumble on a real deal / steal on a Thingymajig 30 then I would stick with something brand name / mass produced as always a market for them (price acheived being a seperate matter! - but some boats are hard to pretty much give away ).

Anyway, let us all know how the boat search (and trip ) goes.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 07:29   #17

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht
Re: 30 footer for a family of four to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
JoeDiver,

Thanks, I new it was a lot. Catalina's seem to hold their value well to.
Actually we sold ours for $10,000 more than we paid for it 9 months later.
C30's are one of the best boats of the sailing world....Sailboat Hall of Fame 2001....I'd love to have one, just not in the budget for my first sailboat.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 08:40   #18
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta
On the subject of the Catalina 30, I am not really worried about the sea keeping ability, as that has been talked about in a hundred other threads. My question is about the wear and tear aspect. For those for those of you who owned or own them, how do they hold up to use day in and day out? Thanks again.
We've had ours for three years, and it's held up great to the wear and tear of my seven year old boy. I did have to replace a fiddle on the dining settee that he cracked with his head while trying to swing on the ceiling handrail. Heh, he only did that once...

The best part of the Catalina 30 as a first/ beginner boat is the support from the Yahoo mailing list. There isn't any issue that hasn't been solved there at least twice. Those folks are invaluable to someone new at boat ownership (and prevented a lot of calls to my Dad for help).

Too bad you're on the wrong (or right) side of the country. My Catalina 30 is for sale and she's in great shape, and with electric propulsion to boot. Those young kids grow up quick, and they seem to take up way more space. We're upgrading to a bigger boat, but I'm sure I'll miss the Cat 30 when we do...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, family