Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 11:31   #1

34 Ft Aloha sailboat

Last fall I was given a 34ft 1977 Aloha sailboat. To date I have put 2k into the boat but it still needs the keel repaired because it was grounded and has crack in it at the bottom. It also needs the Volvo Penta looked at because it hasn't been in the water for 2-3 years. I'm looking for opinions/ feedback if its work putting more money/elbow grease into the boat? Thanks
Markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:58   #2

Re: 34 Ft Aloha sailboat

Sure , if you are going to use it. A free boat is a good deal. The Aloha is a not a high end boat but fine for local use I would think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 16:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markis View Post
Last fall I was given a 34ft 1977 Aloha sailboat. To date I have put 2k into the boat but it still needs the keel repaired because it was grounded and has crack in it at the bottom. It also needs the Volvo Penta looked at because it hasn't been in the water for 2-3 years. I'm looking for opinions/ feedback if its work putting more money/elbow grease into the boat? Thanks
Howdy Markis.

Your post topic came up just as I was writing something about a related topic. So, I am adding a bit to your thread. I have not owned an Aloha 34, so cannot give you advice based on personal experience with one, but I like the design of the ones I have seen online. But, since you are asking for opinions, here is another, and I assure you it is all written in a friendly tone of voice to try to help you:

1. The condition of any boat is what matters.
Old boats can be in remarkably good condition. On the other hand recently made boats can be in "trashed" or damaged condition. So, we need to see more about this particular boat.

2. We don't know the condition of your particular boat. It was given to you. It could have been in pristine condition, or a derelict. We don't have much info to go on and no visual clues.

3. To know the condition of any used boat, a professional survey of it is a very good start. Since you were given the boat, it is likely you did not have a professional survey the boat.

4. Have experienced boat buyers, owners and sailors, and an engine mechanic look at the boat for you.

Using the internet and the forum:

5. Post some current photos of the boat's condition (including the crack and engine) to help others form their opinions and to notice things you might have missed.

Numerous good photos of it can help others with more experience (as there are many experienced owners, buyers, and sailors here on CF) look at the boat's current condition.

It is not a guarantee that the opinions will be accurate, because photos only show superficial things, but it can help others form opinions, and that is what you are asking them to do now blindly and with very little information.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 03:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you were “given” a (free) Aloha 34, I’d say it’s worth considerably more investment.
Aloha 34 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 04:51   #5

Boat: Ontario32

Aloha built a pretty nice 34. Yes it has an encapsulated lead keel but it is repairable. Throw some type writer keys in there to add weight. (Just Kidding). There is a well known 34 sailing Georgian Bay, named Queen's Ransom. When M& LL bought it around 2000 it was a derelect hulk in a lot of people's eyes. They restored her back to exceptional condition. I believe they are still enjoying her to this day.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 05:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 34 Ft Aloha sailboat

I will also agree the boat is worth investing more elbow grease and funds in if she was free..
If she's not already on the hard get her lifted out and grind back the encapsulation at its lowest point to drain any water that may have entered and leave to dry.. while its drying turn to the engine.. not being used for 2-3yrs is no biggie.. try turning by hand first to see if anything's locked up.. then charge the batteries and turn her over to see if she fires.. maybe best to hire a mechanic for a morning to do this.
Suggest you use a 10litre can of fresh fuel run direct to the engine fuel pump for the testing as the state of any fuel in boats tank will be dubious.. if all's well with the engine then drain and flush the fuel tank before filling with fresh fuel.
then re-glass the keel where you created the drain point and repair the crack..
Good luck.. nice gift..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 08:41   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Everyone knows there is no such thing as a free boat. Some are a better deal than others and hopefully yours is one! Follow Boatman's advice and then you will know or at least have a better idea.
Old 26-04-2017, 08:56   #8

Boat: Tartan 34C

I agree with most here that any boat is worth saving...as long as you can work on it yourself...If you are not handy, then hopefully you have a good amount of money to pay someone to do it...

Otherwise, if you are broke and handy, you can still manage to work on things little by little...

I am still working my Tartan 34 and realistically with regular life (wife, toddler, house), it makes it tough to work on my restoration in a timely manner...

I have heard of people working on their boat full time and getting it fully restored within months...Doable...Just focus on what is important first then focus on "upgrades" after...the upgrades are the expensive parts on boats...even if you are patient and keep a lookout for these upgrade parts and buy them used, they are still pretty expensive used...

I have a accumulated things used little by little and once done, I should have the boat that will be around for most of the rest of my life hopefully...I really don't want anything bigger or smaller in foreseeable future...Launch date will be euphoric for me...2018 I think...2017 is out of the question at this point...
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:40   #9

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

I think the Aloha was featured in this month's Good Old Boat magazine. They had two in there - each brother had one. They looked like a pretty nice boat.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:16   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Adding to Boaties advice. Before trying to fire the motor I would also change all the oils and the raw water impeller.
Old 26-04-2017, 19:10   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Adding to Boaties advice. Before trying to fire the motor I would also change all the oils and the raw water impeller.
Good advice!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat