Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 10:48   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: 43ft Ketch for New Sailors

No one seems to have mentioned how stable that bigger boat will be in open waters versus the 26' you have. That extra water line will really make a difference in the sailing comfort while at sea. Two people who know the boat should be able to handle anything up to and perhaps beyond 60'. It just takes some conservative practice. Go for it.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 10:58   #17

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

With me on the helm my ketch is Very happy at 35 degrees off the apparent wind. Closer if i want to motorsail.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 11:58   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

In 2016 we sailed Hampton Va. to Virgin Gorda. 25 - 35 NW winds and 16-25 seas from behind. We flew staysail and mizzen and made over 500 miles over our fastest two days. We made the transit in 7.5 days. 9.5 up the waves and 12 down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C7DDBA0-847B-4284-8712-1F392081B1B9.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	219419   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E81B619-5EDD-45A5-A36A-A036C5920D69.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	219420  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 13:09   #19

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
In 2016 we sailed Hampton Va. to Virgin Gorda. 25 - 35 NW winds and 16-25 seas from behind. We flew staysail and mizzen and made over 500 miles over our fastest two days. We made the transit in 7.5 days. 9.5 up the waves and 12 down.
Nice boat, looks gorgeous under sail.

What is the sail between the main and mizzen called? And how is it rigged? Won’t it interfere with tack/jibe?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 13:30   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Nice boat, looks gorgeous under sail.

What is the sail between the main and mizzen called? And how is it rigged? Won’t it interfere with tack/jibe?
It is a mizzen staysail and it is struck and re-set for each tack or jibe, right Nicholson58?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3009-Spinnaker Takedown.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	219425  
Old 15-07-2020, 13:41   #21

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I’ll never go back to a sloop. Wait until you start playing with r
That mizzen and see what kind of control you have. I have more success sailing into my slip than motoring. I like what Rbrazil posted.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 14:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
It is a mizzen staysail and it is struck and re-set for each tack or jibe, right Nicholson58?
Correct. It’s easy and even can be done by one person. We only fly it in wind below 10 apparent. Tack lines go to cleats on port and starboard. The tack can be moved according to the wind direction. Like a blooper, faster when you put it up and faster when you take it down.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:15   #23

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Big boats are also heavy so have more inertia. That means they take longer to anything like heel, stop or change direction. In some ways this actually makes them easier to sail. The downside is that if you do get it wrong the consequences are that much worse, you don't nudge a pontoon going in or out of the slip you tend to destroy it!! Also the weight of a mainsail on a boat that size may well take 2 or 3 people to lift, same for anchors so more planning is needed. My advice would be go for it, you will quickly get the hang of it BUT get a sailing instructor to give you some lessons in close quarters maneuvering.
There is a downside to bigger boats. They may have a higher top speed but need lots of wind to get there. In light winds they can be slow and frankly boring to sail, depends on the boat. Make sure she is still fun to sail and has some performance in winds under 15kn or you may have a boat that is only fun to sail on the days you don't really want to be out there!!!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:57   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Make sure she is still fun to sail and has some performance in winds under 15kn or you may have a boat that is only fun to sail on the days you don't really want to be out there!!!

We have a friend with an Adams 15 they built. It is a "performance cruiser," of some antiquity now. They bought an assymetrical kite for it and also a Code 0, and now they specialize in light air sailing. They go out on warm, light breeze days and zip around having a very fine time!

Yes, good quality light air sails ARE important, Dorothy.

Ann
Old 15-07-2020, 16:43   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Roxy is 40 tons, 58 LOA, 47.5 LWL, 16 beam. Main 80 feet, mizzen, 47 feet. Winds in the Caribbean are 15-25 nearly all of the time and East. We look for anything less than 20 for passage between islands. Between islands the sea is typically 5-8 feet. You will find most cats reefed all of the time. We sail full main and staysail the majority of the time. I get my AS kite and code zero out about once per season. Our main is in mast and motorized. The mizzen is in mast manual. The staysail and Genoa are roller furl.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:53   #26

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
43ft Ketch for New Sailors

Don’t worry about the big boat thing. It’s not that different- just a lot more comfortable! Up to a point, bigger is better offshore. Definitely not around the docks, but you’ll figure that out.

And don’t worry about the ketch vs cutter vs sloop debate. They’re all good. Certainly good enough.

If the boat is sound, has a good survey, feels and smells good, has decent gear and makes you smile, then what are you waiting for?!

...heh heh... kinda like picking a girlfriend isn’t it?!

[er- edit- sorry- should have said ‘partner’ not girlfriend... yikes. ]
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 03:31   #27

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful and the consensus seems to be there is no need to fear the size which is great to hear. A few people raised the point about it depending on planned cruising grounds and that is a cause for concern. Our initial plan with the cat was down through the French canals to the med, then potter around for a season or two before possibly crossing to the Carribean.

Being narrow beam and shallow draft the cat would suit the canals perfectly, hell, we could just stay in the canals and go right across Europe if the urge took us. Plus it would afford more anchoring options, including drying out for hull maintenance, so potentially much cheaper than constant marinas.

On the flip side, being potentially too cramped could spoil the whole trip, not to mention lack of load carrying ability for kayaks etc. We could take everything including the kitchen sink on the Wauquiez. Plus the romantic notion of driving her through the waves on long passages really tugs are the heart strings!

Right now it feels like a head vs heart decision but we have a viewing next week on the Wauquiez so we’ll see how she stacks up.

Thanks again
Pugcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 04:52   #28

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I have to point out that you will have a very very serious problem if you fall in love with Wauquiez

Two boats!! - my worse nightmare.

Hope it goes well.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 07:44   #29

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugcat View Post
Thanks for all the comments, very helpful and the consensus seems to be there is no need to fear the size which is great to hear. A few people raised the point about it depending on planned cruising grounds and that is a cause for concern. Our initial plan with the cat was down through the French canals to the med, then potter around for a season or two before possibly crossing to the Carribean.

Being narrow beam and shallow draft the cat would suit the canals perfectly, hell, we could just stay in the canals and go right across Europe if the urge took us. Plus it would afford more anchoring options, including drying out for hull maintenance, so potentially much cheaper than constant marinas.

On the flip side, being potentially too cramped could spoil the whole trip, not to mention lack of load carrying ability for kayaks etc. We could take everything including the kitchen sink on the Wauquiez. Plus the romantic notion of driving her through the waves on long passages really tugs are the heart strings!

Right now it feels like a head vs heart decision but we have a viewing next week on the Wauquiez so we’ll see how she stacks up.

Thanks again

I suppose the boat type should be based on size and intended purpose. I was thinking that the 43' ketch would have been better all around for extended world cruising, but if the plan is to do the canals then hang out in the med for awhile, IMO that changes everything.
If the cat is almost ready and you still want to do the canals, wouldn't change boats. You can easily make do w/the cat for the canals/Europe adventure.
Don't let the emotion of a new boat take control of logic. A "cheap" boat (well below market price of others) usually = work needed. This means more time rebuilding, possibly new sails and the bigger boat will cost more.

If you have a boat already that works for your adventure use that one instead of buying another.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:57   #30

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

hi our first large boat is a 42 ft ketch 1 child and 2 large dogs , we find her great for space and handling, sometimes not putting the main up and running genoa and mizzen , great sailing and fun to mess about with the sail plan,
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, new sailors, sail