Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 17:07   #31

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: 50+gallons of water pouring into boat..are we going to sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff3nebel View Post
If you close the cooling water">engine cooling water seacock and unclip the hose, you can use that, with the engine running of course, as an auxiliary pump
Only if you bring salt water into the boat for engine cooling. Those of us with keel coolers (or other ways of cooling the engine coolant without salt water and a heat exchanger) have no such pump. Saves no end of grief - except in this very specific situation.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 18:08   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Our 1985 Catalina 30 has the head sink drain sharing the seacock with the head input. This way, if we want to flush with fresh water we close the seacock and fill the sink. When the head flushes, it pulls from the sink and Voila! No worries about the head contaminating the fresh water supply.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 18:53   #33

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: 50+gallons of water pouring into boat..are we going to sink?

Sailing from St Croix to Cay West and first night out of Green Cay Marina small water under the motor of my Bene 51. Second night more 2-3 gallons per hr. Tried to hail Puerto Rico but Covid Nono it was may 2020. The water was coming in from the Volvo dripless on the shaft. Manually bailing for 11 days and sailing only made it to Cay Sal where the USCG Cutter USS Manatee showed up after calling them on the Iridium and towed us to Stock Island Robby’s boat yard and saved us and the boat. I think in this mishap that I emptied less than 100 but more than 50 Home Depot 5 gallon buckets. I am a living witness that a frightened sailor with a bucket is better than any electrical bilge pump.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 19:11   #34

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Mine was a loose through hull fitting above the water line. After I switched to sail power, the heeling was enough to splash water through the opening. The leak temporarily stopped on its own when I doused the sails, except I hadn't tracked it down. When I hoisted again, I was on the opposite tack and didn't take more.

The safety regs for racing often require a 5 gallon bucket with a line on the handle. The line was certainly useful.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 19:26   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

First I am so glad I intalled a second bilge pump. It is unacceptable that a sailboat like this comes with one little pump that pumps out 300 gal per hour on a flat grade...
Second... angry I did not not check out the manual pump. ..another project.
Third.. I will feel better to add a second Rule 3600..just got to figure out placement and whete to drill another hole.
I sail solo some times and I do not think my petite wife would last more than 10 minutes with a manual pump or bucket.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 19:31   #36

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

15 miles offshore was far enough to feel scared when the Cal 29 started to feel slow and sluggish and looking below we saw water over the cabin sole.
Tasted very salty so we knew we had a problem. We had been beating into steep seas for several hours on this ocean race. Lots of solid water on the foredeck. Someone got smart and noticed that the anchor rode access plate on the foredeck had been left open.
A huge sigh of relief for all on board!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 19:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Also ensure that the bilges are clean. Sinking because the pump is blocked by dirt would be hard to rectify with oneself.
My bilge is always clean but when the leak is from 15 ft away it brought with it all the crap the builders left behind. Mqy not be a bad idea to flood the subfloor with a water hose and see what other crap is in there.

abe
Old 04-11-2021, 02:23   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

No. Fresh water leak from tanks will not cause you to sink. You aren't taking on any additional water just moving it to another place.
Not good, of course.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 16:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
No. Fresh water leak from tanks will not cause you to sink. You aren't taking on any additional water just moving it to another place.
Not good, of course.
.....but i did not know it was fresh water at first. thank god the ice in the icebox didnt melt or it would have added a few xtra pounds of water

abe
Old 04-11-2021, 17:57   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
.....but i did not know it was fresh water at first. thank god the ice in the icebox didnt melt or it would have added a few xtra pounds of water

abe
Not really. Same principle applies. Although a given amount of water weighs more than the same amount of ice It is not much (9% I think). The volume would increase a bit but has nothing to do with adding to the boat weight.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 21:12   #41

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That happened to us years ago, so I made a timer circuit with a relay, resistor, electrolytic capacitor and a 12 volt buzzer.

When the pump runs continuously for more than x time (depending on the resistor/capacitor selection) it shuts off the pump and causes the buzzer to alarm.

Simple fix.

Personally I don’t want anything turning off my automatic bilge pump but me
Old 08-11-2021, 07:08   #42

Boat: Bavaria 36'

You would be surprised what a good manual pump can accomplish. We took some water aboard back through the bilge pump outlet which was covered whenever we went through a wave (not my design!). This was not noticed until the water was over the floorboards. Then the pump was reluctant to work unless primed by putting a hand over the outlet. Then it worked for 10 pumps or so and then needed reprising. On investigation I found a couple of feet of rope in the pump with an end protruding at both inlet and outlet. It was mainly on the outlet side and only a knot had stopped it going all the way through. The rope had obviously allowed a reverse flow by defeating the exit non-return vale.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:08   #43

All useful info. Suggest a little effort be directed at finding out why the valve split and also suggest a reason.

He notes that "the one way valve the I installed between a T at the faucet and the head before the solenoid valve had split in half". The probable cause was hydraulic pressure from water expanding between the 2 valves. with the head solenoid closed a slight temperature change in the water between the 2 valves can cause hundreds of pounds of pressure.

Never install valves so that water can be isolated between them without some means for relieving thermal expansion
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:22   #44

That was an educational post. I think a good bucket is something to have onboard besides backup pumps. If you ever hit something a square piece of heavy-duty plastic would be handy. Tie lines at each corner and slip it under the boat and pull it tight like a bandaid over the hole. I read about doing this many years ago, They also recommended stuffing a rag or wad of cotton in the hole also. let's hope this is never needed by anyone reading this.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:59   #45

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I am happy this ended well and I learned a lot from reading the posts. I have seldom used my manual bilge pump but now I test it every so often. It seems the rubber stuff inside rots out and needs replaced. In any case to avoid such a scenario as described I have installed a flow switch at the out let of the water tanks, when the flow exceeds the flow capability of my water pump it automatically trips a solenoid valve and closes the outlet of the tank...this works great as I actually used it once when a water line under the galley came apart due to improper installation.
Tdadisman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water