Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 11:12   #61

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: 65ft aluminum mono vs 50ft cat

Can we just make other suggestions instead? If so, I'd 100% go this route if I had the cash. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...rr-63-3685169/

At least a 2 mil boat when launched... now just $550K
Old 16-08-2020, 11:24   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
I second the point about size-fun curve being like the income-wellbeing curve. Beyond a certain point more of the former just decreases the latter. However, the correct measure of size in the boat world is displacement rather than length. The perfect size of yacht for a cruising couple to my mind is in the 8-15 ton range. The great thing about cats is you can get a lot of real estate for that displacement. But I also know some ultralight displacement monos in the 60-65 ft range within this bracket as well. Any of these would be a lot of fun. However, I have extensive experience of a mono in the 20ton range And I can safely say that it’s a lot less fun for a cruising couple than my present boat (11 ton lightship)

So our 3 ton cat doesn’t cut the mustard?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 11:30   #63

Neither does our 4 ton tri!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:21   #64
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Neither does our 4 ton tri!

Guess we are both outcasts........or live a less rewarding lifestyle! [emoji23]
Old 16-08-2020, 13:29   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Can we just make other suggestions instead? If so, I'd 100% go this route if I had the cash. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...rr-63-3685169/

I wonder how far you’d get on your circumnavigation before that keel breaks off like a twig after hitting anything harder than a jellyfish?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:38   #66

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Guess we are both outcasts........or live a less rewarding lifestyle! [emoji23]
Me too, only 4 tons.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 14:02   #67

Boat: Regina 43

I would say that when couples cruising a 3-4 ton lightship multi is going to be suboptimal.

1 the stores most couples will bring aboard will severely impact the trim of such light craft.

2 I know from personal experience that very light multis have quite a lively motion in a seaway.

Such craft can be exciting race hounds of the sea and a lot of fun to sail, but I would hold fast that they do lie outside the sweet spot for fun and comfortable sailing. Of course you can choose to have such a boat just as you can choose to earn well under what is conducive to wellbeing. Or as the OP you might go the other way just like someone choosing to earn well over what maximizes wellbeing. The world would be boring if everyone did the same thing. But I still maintain that the sweet spot is about where I said it was.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 14:27   #68

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Kiwi Spirit is a beautiful vessel by a first rate builder at a fraction of its replacement cost. Like all boats there are trade offs. Carbon fiber electrical conductivity. Repair. Fast hull and fast motion. What kind of hit can it take from a reef or lightning and where can it be correctly repaired. At what cost. Is she comfortable in nasty weather. You can’t outrun them all.
I’ve built in everything from wood to infused carbon, major oem to custom, traditional to cutting edge. There is no perfect design, builder or material.
Lyman Morse will build you whatever your heart desires for 2 million.
She is a very pretty vessel. Diametrically opposite my boat. Which is to say... what a dull world it would be...if all looked the same.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a boatbuilding manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 14:41   #69
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
I would say that when couples cruising a 3-4 ton lightship multi is going to be suboptimal.

1 the stores most couples will bring aboard will severely impact the trim of such light craft.

2 I know from personal experience that very light multis have quite a lively motion in a seaway.

Such craft can be exciting race hounds of the sea and a lot of fun to sail, but I would hold fast that they do lie outside the sweet spot for fun and comfortable sailing. Of course you can choose to have such a boat just as you can choose to earn well under what is conducive to wellbeing. Or as the OP you might go the other way just like someone choosing to earn well over what maximizes wellbeing. The world would be boring if everyone did the same thing. But I still maintain that the sweet spot is about where I said it was.

The lightweight multi may be suboptimal to you but not others.
We have to watch our weight but with full cruising stores onboard we still glide over the waves rather than through them. Of course our full stores don’t include a washer/dryer, ice machine or 4 heads.....but it is a sailing vessel?
We treat our lightweight multi as a sailing vessel first while others treat there’s as a shoreside residence first, nothing wrong with either choice.
Old 16-08-2020, 18:07   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

I too will affirm displacement is very important and often overlooked. LOA is a fine proxy, but only a proxy.

Maximum sail area will be dictated by displacement to achieve some performance point. And sail area will limit how much of a boat we can handle, whether manually or else with hydraulic or electric crutches.

65ft mono is a hell of a boat, no matter which displacement bracket you are in. A 50ft cat can be a handful too, but may be the easier boat. (Assuming we want to drive them to full potential).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 18:28   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I had a friend of mine pull up on a cat not so long ago....doing a delivery....about a 50' cat.

Climbing aboard, I noted, that to hoist the battened mainsail required a two-part pulley system and an electric winch to get the damn main up the mast...at which point I lost interest in everything else.......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 11:43   #72

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Here are some stability calculations which might prove useful. I’m using Principles of Yacht Design by Larsson and my own vessel, details at Ted Brewer .com / Shenanigan. I’ve got to increase sail area to equal the catamaran ratio.
Now if I heighten my mast I might be able to keep up with my friends catamaran. Yes. So I’m using the air draft of Kiwi Spirit at 84 feet. Now as a 200 pound manatee, I climb to the masthead to get an idea of proper backstay tension...oh my TODO...glug glug...we seem to have capsized.
No perfect design, construction nor material. Nor, number of hulls.
Happy trails to you.
Manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:16   #73
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Here are some stability calculations which might prove useful. I’m using Principles of Yacht Design by Larsson and my own vessel, details at Ted Brewer .com / Shenanigan. I’ve got to increase sail area to equal the catamaran ratio.

Now if I heighten my mast I might be able to keep up with my friends catamaran. Yes. So I’m using the air draft of Kiwi Spirit at 84 feet. Now as a 200 pound manatee, I climb to the masthead to get an idea of proper backstay tension...oh my TODO...glug glug...we seem to have capsized.

No perfect design, construction nor material. Nor, number of hulls.

Happy trails to you.

Manatee

Mr. Manateeman, would this be your friends catamaran?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	221487
If so you may have a fighting chance of keeping up! Not sure how they will reef their sail in heavy weather, but I’m sure your manatee powered vessel may be able to out paddle the electric trolling motor. Hopefully you will be cruising in a grass bottomed area to keep your manatee motors fueled up!
Old 17-08-2020, 12:20   #74
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You mentioned around the world so the search term for that is “Sundeer”. Only a single 60’ listed now but I know who to contact for more options incl. 64’[

what he said. unless you want a trawler then Nordhavn.
Old 17-08-2020, 12:23   #75
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
what he said. unless you want a trawler then Nordhavn.

The Sundeers are really pretty monohulls but from my limited experience they appear to roll at anchor. Must be the skinny beam?

Tags
aluminum