Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 13:06   #76

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft
Re: 65ft aluminum mono vs 50ft cat

If your budget is $1 million USD then I would do a new build steel expedition boat to your specifications. Build in the far east, Turkey or India.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:38   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
If your budget is $1 million USD then I would do a new build steel expedition boat to your specifications. Build in the far east, Turkey or India.

But would it not mean waste while you can have a Dutch one built for half that money?

You get a lifting keel, alloy boat with a pilot house. Quite a something expedition-wise. Eh?

https://www.kmy.nl/

barnakiel
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:23   #78

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But would it not mean waste while you can have a Dutch one built for half that money?

You get a lifting keel, alloy boat with a pilot house. Quite a something expedition-wise. Eh?

https://www.kmy.nl/

barnakiel
Half the money?

Matt
Old 17-08-2020, 15:46   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Half the money?

Matt

Much distrust I sense in you, my young padawan ... ;-)

I remember reading German Segeln where the 45 (?) 'Pure' model was listed at 500k (give or take).

I reached to my pocket but it was too shallow.

b.
Old 17-08-2020, 16:09   #80

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Sorry but $500,000 buys you one hull of a catamaran. Builders of aluminum sail at this length in mono..it’s a pretty small world. I know what it costs them to build. Boatbuilders do talk to each other. Conversations quite different from that with designers and clients.
Nice, not workboat but very simple..two million.
Used, tired but can be refinished...one million. I just don’t see 1/2 million unless it’s like a beautiful boat like Kiwi posted earlier. Not exactly the easiest boat to sail. Mast at 85’ above water ? It’s fast but if something goes wrong, you’d wish Paul Bunyan could chop the mast down and Popeye could chuck it overboard.
Lastly, drop keel, centerboard...whatever you want to call it has three things not going for it. One, takes up a lot of interior space unless your cutting the boat into mini cabins for elves as passengers. Two. In the up position, the weight is way up that’s not including all the weight you added constructing and reinforcing the case to the hull. Weight not under the waterline. Third, potential jam. Sorry potential disaster. Try fixing a drop keel yourself in this size vessel.
With twin keels you pay a wetted surface penalty. It costs a lot to build correctly. A lot more than center boards, lift keels or whatever you call them.
What you gain is well documented in performance, tracking, stability and the ability to dry out on a sand bar for a look see or serious repair...sufficient to say lots of designers, builders and owners are willing to pay the additional costs. Aluminum yacht and workboat builders know a lot about each other’s work, costs and markets. There are few bargains for quality boats. I don’t follow the catamaran world so I will not comment.
Well one of my best friends owns a fast cat and believes my half-a-cat, beer can without bottom paint is only a sinister ploy to get free propulsion. He accuses me of training manatees and feeding them all they can eat from the bottom and all they can drink from the water maker. Not true. They get broccoli cookies .
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee friends.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 16:22   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. Sorry but $500,000 buys you one hull of a catamaran. Builders of aluminum sail at this length in mono..it’s a pretty small world. I know what it costs them to build. Boatbuilders do talk to each other. Conversations quite different from that with designers and clients.
Nice, not workboat but very simple..two million.
Used, tired but can be refinished...one million. I just don’t see 1/2 million unless it’s like a beautiful boat like Kiwi posted earlier. Not exactly the easiest boat to sail. Mast at 85’ above water ? It’s fast but if something goes wrong, you’d wish Paul Bunyan could chop the mast down and Popeye could chuck it overboard.
Lastly, drop keel, centerboard...whatever you want to call it has three things not going for it. One, takes up a lot of interior space unless your cutting the boat into mini cabins for elves as passengers. Two. In the up position, the weight is way up that’s not including all the weight you added constructing and reinforcing the case to the hull. Weight not under the waterline. Third, potential jam. Sorry potential disaster. Try fixing a drop keel yourself in this size vessel.
With twin keels you pay a wetted surface penalty. It costs a lot to build correctly. A lot more than center boards, lift keels or whatever you call them.
What you gain is well documented in performance, tracking, stability and the ability to dry out on a sand bar for a look see or serious repair...sufficient to say lots of designers, builders and owners are willing to pay the additional costs. Aluminum yacht and workboat builders know a lot about each other’s work, costs and markets. There are few bargains for quality boats. I don’t follow the catamaran world so I will not comment.
Well one of my best friends owns a fast cat and believes my half-a-cat, beer can without bottom paint is only a sinister ploy to get free propulsion. He accuses me of training manatees and feeding them all they can eat from the bottom and all they can drink from the water maker. Not true. They get broccoli cookies .
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee friends.

Sorry but you 1 million two-piece of white plastick does not even buy the annual dusting off service on my wedding ring.

Boats, also very good boats and custom ones, do not need to cost millions.

Some people are after spending X money and bragging about it. Other people are about getting specs and value.

b.
Old 17-08-2020, 16:35   #82

Barnie, when you build a boat you can set the price. My yacht is not for sale.
I’m discussing boat design and costs, not jewelry.
The O P stated his budget. I’m responding.
Please avoid venting . It’s against forum rules.
Manatees off gas enough.
Mark
Old 17-08-2020, 16:53   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Barnie, when you build a boat you can set the price. My yacht is not for sale.
I’m discussing boat design and costs, not jewelry.
The O P stated his budget. I’m responding.
Please avoid venting . It’s against forum rules.
Manatees off gas enough.
Mark

Look, no bad intent here. I did not understand the brief is for the boat to cost X.

With that ring I meant to say anything can cost as much as we are ready to pay for it. A boat, a ring, anything. But no reason to pay that much when equivalent item available at half the price.

My apology again for writing fast and carelessly, please forgive and forget.

Truly yours,

barnakiel
Old 17-08-2020, 17:07   #84

Nothing to forget. Behind manatees float biscuits . Biodegradable.
All good with me . All good between us. Your very much a gentleman.
Thank you for reply. May have been my bad as well.
Happy trails. Mark
Old 17-08-2020, 17:27   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
I would agree that best value for a steel boat would be in some of those places. I used to live in India and visited many shipyards there. I would focus more on a wooden boats, not steel, unless a very rough workboat is what you're looking for. Oh, and powerboats, not sail. I know that's a general statement but I believe it to be accurate.

Also took 3 trips to Turkey. Excellent stuff. Prices are slightly better than Europe, but not a huge discount. You can find top quality there also.

Just some feedback.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum