Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 14:06   #1
cruiser

90 Day Decal Leaving FL??! HELP

Does anyone have experience with the cost of a 90 day permit when you buy a boat in FL?

FL has a 10 day grace period to leave the state, excepting that vessels over 5 Net Tons are allowed a 90 day stay, if they get a "decal" from the broker.

My broker is charging $300 for this little sticker and I only need about 30 days of its use.

So, does anyone know if there is another way to get this sticker before I have to cough up $300 for nothing?

Thanks.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 14:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Sean, here is what the Florida DMV has to say about that:

Out-Of-State Reciprocity

Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting vessel owners by other states for a period of 90 days.

An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector. However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable period of time.

Out-of-state vessel owners who plan to remain permanently in Florida must notify the county tax collector. He/she will receive a Florida registration certificate number to replace those issued by the state of former residence. The out-of-state registration and certificate of title, if issued, must be surrendered to the tax collector.

Out-of-state registration certificates and numbers for vessels owned by military personnel on active duty in Florida are valid in Florida until the expiration date, after which the vessels must be registered by the state of Florida.

------------ Otherwise, you have 30 days to register (and pay taxes). --------

You might also be interested in: FL Dept Rev - Learn about specific taxes

Which had THIS TO SAY:
Boats Sold to Nonresidents
A boat may be purchased tax-exempt if it is sold by or through a registered boat dealer or yacht broker to a nonresident who will remove the boat from the state.

The following requirements must be met:

The purchaser must sign an affidavit stating that he or she has read the law and rules regarding the specific exemption claimed and agrees to remove the boat from Florida.
A boat of less than 5 net tons of admeasurement must leave Florida within 10 days of purchase or immediately be placed in the care, custody, and control of a registered repair facility for repairs, additions, or alterations. The boat must leave Florida within 20 days after completion of the repairs.
If the boat is 5 net tons of admeasurement or larger, the purchaser may obtain a set of Florida Department of Revenue boat decals, which authorize the boat to remain in Florida waters up to 90 days after purchase. The decals can be obtained from the selling dealer or broker. This 90-day period may not be extended for any reason.
Within 5 days of the date of sale, the dealer must provide DOR with a copy of the invoice, bill of sale, and/or closing statement; and the original, signed, removal affidavit.
Within 10 days of removing the boat, the purchaser must furnish DOR with proof that the boat left Florida. Receipts for fuel, dockage, or repairs purchased outside Florida are acceptable proof, if they identify the boat.
Within 30 days of removal, the purchaser must provide DOR with written proof that the boat was licensed, titled, registered, or documented outside the state; or provide evidence that he or she has applied for such.
This exemption does not apply to a Florida resident, an entity where the controlling person is a Florida resident, or a corporation where any officers or directors are Florida residents.

Foreign Flagged Vessels
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:12   #3
cruiser

Thanks, Thomas. I am aware of those codes.

The problem is the broker is charging me $300 for this little sticker.

I wanted to see if anyone knows what they go for normally, or if I can buy one through the state myself, maybe?

$300 ($10/day) seems outrageous to me.

I think it would literally be cheaper to go straight to the Bahamas and wait it out there, paying a foreign country's entrance fee!

This is insane.
Old 20-02-2008, 15:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
That's ridiculous!

What's the fine?

Can you delay the closing date? i.e. pay the last dollar the day you leave...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:33   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
That's ridiculous!

What's the fine?

Can you delay the closing date? i.e. pay the last dollar the day you leave...
I read that the fine was $1000 and up to 1 yr in jail in the same laws Thomas pasted in above.

I'd love to delay closing, but I can't refit the boat while I don't own it. There are a couple of items I need (batteries and windlass) in order to move her from the dock. I'm screwed, I think...
Old 23-02-2008, 19:46   #6

90 day Florida sales tax exemption

Sean: You require an Affidavit for Exemption of Boat Sold for Removal from the State of Florida, plus a $20 fee. This is a straight forward 2 page form.

My broker provided the Affidavit form for free. I completed the Affidavit form and had my signature Notarized (Florida requires a Notarized signature).

I mailed the original, Notarized Affidavit to my broker in Florida. My broker delivered Affidavit for free too. I provided the 20 bucks ...

This Affidavit MUST be filed with 5 days of final closing or Date of Sale.

You must provide the Florida Department of Revenue written proof within 30 days following removal of the boat from Florida that it has been licensed, titled, registered or documented outside of Florida.
Tourmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 20:09   #7

Boat: Brewer 44, 44 LOA - "Lady Hawk"
Sean, Our broker (Bollman Yachts) did not charge us to prepare or file the form for us. Couple of things the Bahama fee is around $300 and when proving you left Florida within the ninety days must be somewhere other than the Bahamas for I believe 180day period if you are trying to avoid Florida tax. You are asked to provide fuel and dockage receipts.
Lady Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 00:01   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Sean,

Are you planning to register the boat in another state? If so, then just register the boat now. Since the boat is registered in another state, you should be able to stay in FL as long as you like since you plan to leave. I have my boat documented. I had to pay $500 to the documentation service up north even thought I live in FL. The documentation letters and numbers are on my state registration card.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 01:26   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Florida Department of Revenue
Tax Information Publication #TIP 95A01-28
https://taxlaw.state.fl.us/view.aspx...%20Publication

SELLERS' CRITERIA FOR EXTENDED EXEMPTION:

1. The selling dealer must be registered with the Florida Department of Revenue.

2. The qualifying boat must be sold to a nonresident purchaser.

3. The selling dealer is responsible for purchasing special 90-day decals from the Department, validating them, affixing them to the boat, and placing the decal i.d. # on the removal affidavit (sample attached).

4. The removal affidavit must be completed by the nonresident purchaser. The selling dealer must provide that affidavit and a copy of the closing statement and bill of sale to the Department within 5 days of the sale and keep a copy of the removal affidavit for at least 5 years. This is also a requirement of the 10 or 20 day exemption period.

Request an Application for Boat Decals (DR-42A) by calling the Department's Boat Enforcement Unit at 904-488-3821.
Limit your initial order of decal sheets to the number of sales of qualified boats to nonresidents made in the prior year.
The decal sheets cost $20.00. There are two decals per sheet, one for each side of the boat.

If you have questions or need assistance please call Taxpayer Services, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, at 1-800-352-3671 (in Florida only) or 904-488-6800.
Address written inquiries to: Florida Department of Revenue,
P.O. Box 7443, Tallahassee, Florida 32314-7443.

Florida Department of Revenue Form #GT-500003
Affidavit for Exemption of Boat Sold for Removal from the State of Florida by a Nonresident Purchaser.
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2001/GT-500003.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 02:11   #10
cruiser

Thanks, guys. The broker is charging me $300 for this.

That's a 1500% markup. WTF?

It's The Catamaran Company, in Ft Lauderdale. I won't even go into the details of the service or treatment I have received from these people through this sale, as I'm not sure could get it down in writing without it coming across as an attack.

Monday is the day I take delivery. I need to figure out how to get this decal and not pay $300 for it. Better call the dept of revenue and possibly register the boat in her home state right away.

I can't believe some of you got the sticker for free. These people at the Catamaran Company are unbelievable!!
Old 24-02-2008, 03:11   #11
cruiser

AND... they charge you a $25 fee to recieve your closing money into their account!!

I'm angry (again) with these guys.
Old 24-02-2008, 03:43   #12
cruiser

I think I'll be calling the FL Dept of Revenue to report this. If the selling broker is responsible for obtaining and distributing these $20 stickers from the state, and is the only source for these stickers, a 1500% markup might be illegal? I'm calling first thing Monday on that.
Old 24-02-2008, 04:32   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Sean, try this first: Contact the Broker and confirm with him that he will provide you with an official receipt from the Florida State for $300.00 for the Decal. When they eventually tell you it costs $20 say nothing…..stony silence until they start defending it…. Again stony silence then inform them that you have documented proof that other brokers provide this mandatory documentation as part of their commission and a free service other than the $20.00 fee itself.

Ask them if they would like this outrageous mark-up to be made public because that is the direction you will take with the authorities and the boating community if they continue with this blackmail.

Good luck fighting the parasites!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 04:57   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
The selling dealer is responsible for purchasing special 90-day decals from the Department, validating them, affixing them to the boat, and placing the decal i.d. # on the removal affidavit (sample attached).
The dealer is charging you 20.00 for the decal, and 280.00 to order the decal, store the decal until the boat is sold and writing down the ID # and sticking the freaking decal on the boat. Talk about nickel and diming.
That blows !
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 07:55   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
When purchasing our Solaris we used The Multihull Company. Free sticker and great service! The listing broker was the Catamaran company, in my opinion THEY SUCKED.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote