Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:48   #1

A boat to buy, but no where to put it, in Portsmouth NH.

I found a gorgeous little Cape Dory 25 D, in great condition, and it's even got a trailer! Yay.

But the thing is, I'm new to boat owning, and lo and behold, there appear to be no moorings to be found in the area.

I hate to give up, and like, take up golf, but can anybody suggest a way out of this? I want to cruise to Maine, and I know a guy who would put in a new mooring for me, near Acadia. So I could just splash the boat, and immediately begin my journey. Seems a little rash, so I could probably scare up an experienced skipper to come along, but it just boggles my mind that I can't find a mooring.

If I was more of an old salt, I suppose I could just head out, and pay the occasional overnight mooring fee, and find good little anchorages, as I go. I'd really like to make this work, but need a strategy. I could come back at the end of next summer to the same cheap winter storage, so that's not an issue. And the fact I have a trailer definitely seems like a plus.

With all the world's problems, it seems silly to complain about mooring availability, but I'd love to understand why supply has to lag so far behind demand.
Egilchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:50   #2

Re: A boat to buy, but no where to put it, in Portsmouth NH.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm talking about buying now, storing this winter, and my mooring problem begins next beginning of season.
Egilchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:53   #3

Re: A boat to buy, but no where to put it, in Portsmouth NH.

Buy now and keep on a trailer and get you name on waiting lists. Consider less ideal locations that might require some travel either by car or travel to open water from the mooring.

Consider getting a slip instead of a mooring.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, ports