Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 15:25   #1

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
A Feel-Good Story

Ok, here is a little story that might be enlightening, especially to those who are trying to cast off the docklines. It is a true story but the names have been changed to protect the heroes.

Three months and two days ago there was a bloke called Jack living quietly in his suburb in a US city, going to work each day and basically living the life of a good citizen paying his taxes to keep Obama happy. But, deep in his soul, he felt he was being strangled by society. He dreamed of buying a boat and sailing off. But he had commitments and couldn't get away. Ho bloody hum, how many times have we heard THAT story??

And then one night, he received a phone call about an asset he had for sale. The potential buyers checked it out over the weekend, made an offer and it was readily accepted by Jack. He jumped on the internet, saw a vessel for sale and made an offer subject to a survey. He moved fast.

The survey showed a sturdy, but poorly maintained, craft which even had plants growing up out of the foredeck. You see, this boat had effectively been abandoned by her previous owner, cast away in a foreign land and left to languish in a boatyard surrounded by a tropical jungle for three years. Sure, she looked like she needed a machete to clean up the foredeck but she had the important things - a couple of strong hulls, decent sails, working rudders, running engine, stereo, working plumbing, half-working electrical system, tools, etc.

Jack saw the potential, recognised that he was handy enough and would be able to either fix the issues or learn how to fix them. So two months and two days ago, he caught a plane to a distant country and moved aboard. He even brought along a hired skipper to help with maintenance and to teach him how to sail! The skipper got sucked into the cheap vices of the 3rd world and Jack realised that he could learn by himself without having to babysit a drug-addled skipper at the same time. So the skipper was fired and sent home. And Jack buckled down to some serious work.

A month of work later, the basic systems were shipshape and Jack headed off. Only one day later, he was anchored off a tropical beach in paradise, drinking a rum while watching the sun set, playing his guitar and already writing out his lists of WORK TO DO. Each day he ticks off another two jobs, adds another one, learns something new about his boat and its systems and adds another verse to his new song about his new life. Some days he catches or spears a fish, other days he gets drunk with fellow yachties around a fire on the beach. He has a new woman in his life, another expatriate found in the jungle.

We teach him a little about his systems, Amps in, Amps out, why he doesn't need a vang, how to organise his reefing lines, etc. He is paying another sailor sometimes to assist with some work. And Jack soaks it all up with incredible enthusiasm and intelligence. The next activity is to go salvaging on a couple of wrecked yachts with his SCUBA gear.

He has some way to go yet but he is already slipping into the life. When people ask him where his home is, he already answers "where my boat is anchored!"

From his previous life to where he is today, it took 3 months, 2 days and $38 000. Total.

How far off are you? Are you still keeping Obama / Julia / David happy?
Old 11-04-2012, 15:56   #2

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Re: A Feel-Good Story

Cool story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Sure, she looked like she needed a machete to clean up the foredeck but she had the important things - a couple of strong hulls, decent sails, working rudders, running engine, stereo, working plumbing, half-working electrical system, tools, etc.
I'd never consider a stereo one of the "important things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Some days he catches or spears a fish, other days he gets drunk with fellow yachties around a fire on the beach.
Let's hope he doesn't become an alcoholic!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 11-04-2012, 16:00   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Great post.

Juliar does not sound a happy person thesedays. Sad
Old 11-04-2012, 17:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
Cool story!

I'd never consider a stereo one of the "important things."
He plays the guitar and loves his music, so I guess it is important to him!
Old 11-04-2012, 18:13   #5

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

My Sea Day is June 1st this year, if everything goes to plan,,then i move to San Rafael to meet her(My Trimaran) for the first time and the union will commence.
Like Jack i will be a raw newbie with a ton of enthusiasm and big dreams, but with one leg firmly planted in a bowl of jello..hahaha

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 11-04-2012, 18:23   #6

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Good story!

I'm not sure about a boat that comes with it's own jungle though.
Old 11-04-2012, 18:47   #7

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Jen and I are 30 days away from retirement. 30 days till we set sail from Mobile, AL to Panama and a new life.

The boat was moved just yesterday overland from Lake Martin, Al to Mobile, and today I drove down to inspect for any delivery damage and get the yard started on getting her ready to go.

First thing, I met two guys working on their boats. Actually, they were sitting in the shade under one of the boats and having a beer. They offered me one, but I guess I'm still in land-mode. Too much still to do and not eough time to get it all done, so I had to say 'no, thanks'

I can feel it coming, though.
Old 11-04-2012, 18:53   #8

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Best wishes you guys,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Jen and I are 30 days away from retirement. 30 days till we set sail from Mobile, AL to Panama and a new life.
First thing, I met two guys working on their boats. Actually, they were sitting in the shade under one of the boats and having a beer. They offered me one, but I guess I'm still in land-mode. Too much still to do and not eough time to get it all done, so I had to say 'no, thanks'

I can feel it coming, though.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 11-04-2012, 19:19   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

The problem I have with your story was the comment about paying his taxes to keep Obama happy. Whatever to that crap.

Now Jack is a boat bum. He has enough money to partially rehab a derelect boat. Then he gets sick, or old, and doesn't have a pot to piss in. So what does Jack do - why go home with his hand held open of course. No one wants to pay into the system but they all sure feel then should get it back when they need it.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm paying my taxes, keeping a pool going for Jack to come home to someday. It's unlikely I'll ever need that assistance, but I don't complain. I thank God I was lucky enough to make enough to pay them. Tell Jack not to worry, we'll still be here when he needs us.
Old 11-04-2012, 19:31   #10

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The problem I have with your story was the comment about paying his taxes to keep Obama happy. Whatever to that crap.

Now Jack is a boat bum. He has enough money to partially rehab a derelect boat. Then he gets sick, or old, and doesn't have a pot to piss in. So what does Jack do - why go home with his hand held open of course. No one wants to pay into the system but they all sure feel then should get it back when they need it.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm paying my taxes, keeping a pool going for Jack to come home to someday. It's unlikely I'll ever need that assistance, but I don't complain. I thank God I was lucky enough to make enough to pay them. Tell Jack not to worry, we'll still be here when he needs us.
Aww man, for a minute there I was feeling so joyful and hopeful. Dude, totally wrong vibes for a feel good story.
Old 11-04-2012, 20:07   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Ahh, some see the glass half full, some see it as half empty

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 11-04-2012, 20:56   #12

Ha Ha, you´re making some huge assumptions there, Far Wanderer Palarran! Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed and realise it wasnt a bunk? Or the traffic was bad today? Cheer up, mate! You will be down in St Martin before you know it and the glass will be half full again!

Maybe Jack has paid more taxes than you over his lifetime? Maybe he lost a leg rescuing an FP sailor while he was a chopper pilot? Maybe he will sell his first boat next year for a profit and change to another boat once he understands more about the whole lifestyle?

Maybe you will die in a traffic pileup on the way to work tomorrow? Maybe Obama will drop all taxes, hand the USA over to Canada and then sing "God Save the Queen"?

Ha Ha. Assumptions can be dangerous....

Jack just sold a decent asset and put a little of that into his first cruising boat. He reckons he has enough to cruise comfortably with his toys for the rest of his life. YMMV but that is probably the way to go for a first boat! Wouldn´t want to over extend on your first boat purchase, would you now? Better to be an independent boat bum than a tax slave, right?
Old 11-04-2012, 21:02   #13

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Geeze, I agree, it was one little side reference trying to be funny or sardonic, lighten up dude.
Old 11-04-2012, 21:10   #14

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264

Good story. My cast off day is real soon as in this month.
Old 11-04-2012, 21:18   #15

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:

Give us all a break... Have a couple drinks and go to bed, maybe you'll have a dream someday of your own. I'm a boat bum myself, lost all my investments and retirement because of corupt goverment and greedy banks. I still sail, they can't take that away from me... Michael..
Closed Thread