Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2023, 10:42   #31

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: A YouTube Channel dissed my boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Not watching YouTube sailing channels is like living under a rock. Come on, you simply have to watch channels like Tally Ho, Duracell etc. for the sake of learning alone, but even channels like Delos, Uma etc. are highly entertaining and 90% of CF members would learn from every episode.

Nope, not interested. Diving under the boat to clean prop. Went kitesurfing. Rebuilding wind generator. Helping other cruisers with windlass problems. Stainless welding for another cruiser. We started before youtube, before facebook, 25 years of sailing and no reason to change. It's nice under my rock.
Old 25-07-2023, 10:44   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Nope, not interested. Diving under the boat to clean prop. Went kitesurfing. Rebuilding wind generator. Helping other cruisers with windlass problems. Stainless welding for another cruiser. We started before youtube, before facebook, 25 years of sailing and no reason to change. It's nice under my rock.

same here. I’ve never watched one in my life. Waste of bandwidth.

if you live the life every day, there’s no reason to take a double dose I don’t think ha ha. It’s like having pictures of sailboats in your boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 10:58   #33

I have never understood why anyone would "promote" any kind of material that disparages anything they own/cherish/like/admire. It's like saying: "I got something really nice but here's some idiot who trashes it."

Why bother promoting their stupidity and spreading bad news when before no one knew anything at all about the idiot post?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 11:00   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Of course, life is full of choices. But downtime for yourself, some reading and watching is something many people need and while enjoying it, this has multiplied my knowledge which is why I manage to pull of the projects that I do.

Watching and listening what a shipwright, a rigger, an experienced sailor etc. have to say is the very best way of learning, way above school and comparable to old school apprenticeship.

Of course I also have my nights of going out etc. but I make sure to catch up the next day

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 18:39   #35

I think the solution is obvious. You need to burn his house down. It's only fair. After that, it's up to him if he wants to just be reasonable and let it go, or escalate things
dwg2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 03:52   #36

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwg2116 View Post
I think the solution is obvious. You need to burn his house down. It's only fair. After that, it's up to him if he wants to just be reasonable and let it go, or escalate things
See, that's what I've been trying to say all along ! An appropriate response is required.

If someone walked up to you and your girl and said "She could sure use some cleaning up" - I would have the sudden urge to throat punch the guy !

Old 28-07-2023, 06:38   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'

We knew someone who was notorious for doing this. He was a well known ‘guru’ and touted a lot of products… for which he was paid handsomely. When we bought our boat and rebuilt the interior, we made the decision to never let him aboard because if he did his usual nonsense, Bill might clock him a good one.
Old 28-07-2023, 06:39   #38

Boat: Amel Super Maramu

Lady K Sailing!
Should be renamed “Armchair Sailing “
I’m not sure how May hours, nautical miles, maritime qualifications, or even if this guy owns a boat!?
Why worry about what other say on YouTube or Facebook etc. There are some great channels out there on YouTube but unfortunately far more from newbies or even worse people who just don’t have a clue!. So many YouTube channels giving advice, even telling people you can sail in the Mediterranean, like Greece without insurance, or a skippers licence etc. Wrong! This I find so annoying. That’s like saying you can drive a car without a license…..yeah if you don’t get caught!
My advice is ignore these guys who clearly don’t know their subject.
whuati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 06:44   #39

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
Meh, another U-tube narcissist making assumptions based on a YW or boat trader post.
Where is the "like" button
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 06:50   #40
DJD

Wink Re: A YouTube Channel dissed my boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post

It's fine I guess, some Tubers have to make up some drama. It's like watching Eustace on the show Mountain Men.

Hey, what's wrong with Eustace?
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 07:00   #41

Lady K is 8n the business of building youtube views. He looks for drama and gives his 2 cents because sheeple want it.

There is a twist you can spin on a dirty boat. Its dirty because you use and sail it, it is not some dock queen whose rigging hasnt seen over 10 kts in its life. You use all the systems all the time and they all work. Many pretty boats just sit and the owners dont know what os even wrong with them.

When i purchased my boat the bildge was nasty. The prior owner said "i could take the time to clean it, or i could sail....a sparkly builge means you are not sailing enough." What did i get out of it? A boat that shined up fine, and only had 300 hours on the 14 year old diesel....because he sailed a dirty boat rather than using iron wind to make up some time to clean the boat later.
intervivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 07:02   #42

Dear OldManMirage,
As the comments made by Lady K Sailing have obviously impacted you to the point of feeling the need to defend your girl(understandably!), I would suggest that you take a few pictures of your beautiful girl in all her glory, and post them within the comments section of the video along with adding comments to the falsehoods presented by the host of the video in regards to your beloved Endeavor 32. This would provide not only the rebuttal to the disparaging remarks, but would offer the evidence against the false narrative that was presented by the video.

Additionally this would take the issue to the source as well as the audience that witnessed the offense.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Kvetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 07:06   #43

Lesson here is if you are selling a boat don’t use pics that can be viewed negatively. If you are a buyer then this is a good tip.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 07:30   #44

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

So here is a different view:
I treat the various youtube channels as a sort of PBS show, there maybe something to learn there and it could just be a pretty show. Having previously been a single season sailor which brings a lot of on the hard time, I enjoyed watching others sail and learning from them (sometimes only bits and pieces mixed into nice scenery).

I found Lady K very informative, talking about hull design, keel types, bringing in boats outside my search window.

When I went looking for my cruiser, I had settled on an IP 380 and had looked at a couple and was building my wish list when another youtuber, Learning the lines showed a boat in Novia Scotia that looked very interesting from a builder I had never heard of Gozzard, that got me thinking outside of my IP box.

I started comparing Gozzard with IP and expanded my search and wow then I found a boat that fit all my requirements at a great price, I would have never looked that direction if it were not for that view.
I was sitting on her in St Thomas when Lady K reviewed the design as part of a interesting boats in her size range, and I found the information dead on (including his comment of the lack of good sea berths for a blue water boat which became apparent on our 1500nm sail from St T to Annapolis in the spring (which we built lee cloths for while at sea).

I learn various things from other channels, good anchorages from SGBU etc. They all have some value if you are just treating them like what they are, light entertainment and knowledge, like the stories we all tell at the bar.
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 07:30   #45

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
We used to watch him when he was out cruising. He went places we are l planning to go to so it was informative. When he got back home he did a couple videos just complaining about his girlfriend leaving him. Haven't watched since but they do pop up on my feed. Seems now he's just posting stuff to put something, anything up.
Couldn’t agree with you more , each week he is just posting something for the sake of posting , he’s exhausted his buy a boat in this range, buy this type of boat, it’s got boring and I’ve stopped watching. He complained about our type of boat in one video and then complemented it in a few videos down the line so not even consistent. Channels like this should go back to the actual cruising part and what it takes toe cruise part or full time.

We YouTube but only because we want to keep a record and look back. If people watch it great if don’t no skin off our noses. We are not trying to finance our cruising lifestyle through YouTube .

Personally I would be upset if he dissed my boat but he is also not a qualified surveyor and it’s just his opinions.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat