Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2023, 04:41   #61

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: A YouTube Channel dissed my boat !

Wow, this had generated way more varying responses than I expected. It's hard to pick and choose if and how I should respond myself.

Originally, it obviously bugged me. I've said that. I'll also say it doesn't anymore. It was more of a gut reaction to an insult. I would say it was a cheap shot - and who likes that ?

Some people obviously could not figure out which boat was what. Sorry !

I don't take LadyK's opinion on my boat seriously. Like some, I did watch them when they were sailing and rarely do anymore. I watched this particular video because of the title, and the fact that I am on a similar budget. You can bet I was I was very surprised to see my Endeavour !

What else...oh, Eustace. If you watch the show then you gotta admit out of all the "Mountain Men" he generates the most drama. Have you seen the episode where the guy he's "training" breaks an old hand saw ? That was pathetic. Too many things like that. The other guys - like Tom or Marty especially - more real, no made up drama.

We've covered this in other threads but those who say they never watch YouTube because it's waste of their time. Seriously ? So much to learn from the people on there, so easy to find good information. I've fixed almost all my appliances from YouTube vids. And car repairs ? I've saved thousands of dollars because of YouTube.

So much more entertaining than television alot of the time. With just a fraction of the commercials. And music, man don't forget music. Bands I never got to see in concert. Guitar and drum videos on songs I haven't been able to figure out that I now can play. And on and on.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments in support. The rest I don't care about !

Old 29-07-2023, 07:56   #62

I don't enjoy Delos anymore.. It has always been "woo look much fun we are having!" but it has gotten more so, I guess due to declining viewers?

I do like Lady K, I'm sure he gets stuff wrong from time to time.. but if the photo on the 1st page was really your boat, he might have a point -- it does seem to need a new coat of paint.
tkalfaoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 10:04   #63

So your boat looks less than its best go clean it up and move on, he is right its dirty. he called it the way it is. and he makes a valid point, buying a dirty boat is a good way to get a deal.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 10:19   #64

Boat: Nor'West 33

This episode annoyed me so much that I did something I almost never do, gave it a thumbs down and unsubscribed after a year of watching his videos. I just don’t feel I can take him seriously anymore as he’s way too influenced by his own biases, but a good channel for someone who wants a party boat for the Caribbean!
Old 29-07-2023, 10:50   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't watch YouTube videos about boat life. If I want to know what that is like I just look across the cabin.

This whole YouTube thing kind of falls into the same category of my not caring what actors "think"
Old 29-07-2023, 12:23   #66

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I'd like my boat to look "filthy" a bit. Keeps the $$$ having some distance as well as occasional opportunist looking for extra income As a big fan of Slocum I'm considering throwing some, not carpet tacks but ordinary nails on the deck to get some rust stains on the sides..
Did i say my boat is not for sale..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 12:49   #67

Boat: Bayliner 2450 Sunbridge

In truth if that is actually your boat he points out what other folks are seeing in the add and why it isn't selling. Your "clean and scrub it all the time " isn't getting the job done and looks like about how my wife "cleans house", meaning if the top of the tables and counter cleaned off the house is clean in here way of thinking. The bottom cushions needto be actually cleaned and maybe professionally cleaned. The hull needs to be scribbed and spiffed up all the way around. I bought my power boat dirt cheap because the adult children of the gent who had owned it had passed away and they didn't want to spend a couple of days scrubbing the outside and cleaning out the inside. They cost themselves probably 2500 dollars by not spending maybe two days cleaning it up and out. I did get a lot of fishing gear and other things because of it
rob d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 15:18   #68

Boat: currently boatless and looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Not watching YouTube sailing channels is like living under a rock. Come on, you simply have to watch channels like Tally Ho, Duracell etc. for the sake of learning alone, but even channels like Delos, Uma etc. are highly entertaining and 90% of CF members would learn from every episode.
Exactly....you have to simply pick and choose your content. I only subscribe to DIY and solo sailing channels anymore. Most sailing couples channels are "WE ALMOST SANK OUR BOAT!!!!!" or "here...look at my wife's cleavage"...all the while "Support us on Pateon". Been done with that crap for years. The YouTuber in question does none of those and does some good reviews of cheaper LiPo batteries for instance.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 22:06   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxIslander View Post
Exactly....you have to simply pick and choose your content. I only subscribe to DIY and solo sailing channels anymore. Most sailing couples channels are "WE ALMOST SANK OUR BOAT!!!!!" or "here...look at my wife's cleavage"...all the while "Support us on Pateon". Been done with that crap for years. The YouTuber in question does none of those and does some good reviews of cheaper LiPo batteries for instance.
Cleavage gets views and (apparently) sponsors, so it's hard to blame a guy for sending his wife out in a two piece if she can support it, and some of them can.

Unfortunately, humans are still basically cavemen, so alarmism is what gets our attention. Look no further than our political system and media to see lots of examples of what the "professionals" do. Why formulate policy (or in cruising, talk boat fixes) when they can just push your core impulses, and get the reaction they want?

That said, there are some folks on the internet who provide helpful information. They just don't tend to get the most clicks when compared to the "selling the dream" ones.

As far as "you might sell your boat if you cleaned it", it's hard to argue with that, isn't it?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 04:45   #70

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Man, about every 10 posts I have to repeat - the boat in the picture on the 1st page is NOT my boat !

It's a zoomed-in shot of the boat that is in the slip next to me.

I do see this happen on many Threads, it probably deserves a Thread of it's own.

Ya gotta at least try and read some of the posts in between the 1st and last pages people !

Old 30-07-2023, 04:55   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Man, about every 10 posts I have to repeat - the boat in the picture on the 1st page is NOT my boat !

It's a zoomed-in shot of the boat that is in the slip next to me.

I do see this happen on many Threads, it probably deserves a Thread of it's own.

Ya gotta at least try and read some of the posts in between the 1st and last pages people !

finally someone else can feel the frustration I always feel on my threads lol

I wish there was some way to correct this but there isn’t. it’s a flaw in the human mind I suppose.

People basically read the first post and look at a picture and then go all the way to the end and post whatever they are thinking from that.

It astonishes me how few read the actual thread.

I had posted a thread about bottom paint a couple weeks back. It devolved into people advising me how to get the right paint on my steel boat and to protect my always-submerged single propellor. that hurt my brain. especially given someone can look up and to the left on any of my posts and see what kind of boat I have
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 12:19   #72

Boat: Islander 36

He is Canadian after all lol Just kidding.
I have watched some of his videos he said that a Catalina 42 has a deck-stepped mast. Im not sure if he has been on one or has it confused with another boat but I'm pretty dam sure that the big hunk of metal going through the coach top and down to the bilge is a mast so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
ibsurfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat