Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2022, 04:20   #16

Re: Abandoned schooner in Queensland Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Little Wing whatever happened to ENZA?
Cheers
Well, Tracey Edwards did buy her from Peter Blake for her all-women attempt at breaking the round-the-world record.

They got as far as somewhere off Cape Horn, if I remember correctly, and were dismasted. That's where I lost track of her (former ENZA, I mean). The details are hazy, but as I remember it, the team did not have to be rescued and were able to jury rig and/or motor into a SA port. That's the last I followed that boat.

ENZA was worth a lot, so I imagine Tracey would have sold her to another syndicate - but that is pure speculation on my part, as we've not really heard from that boat since.

Hm. Maybe the insurance elected to write her off (ENZA, I mean) since she was so far South and dismasted...? Maybe it was less expensive.

Anyway, the person who would have the straight story would be Tracey.

Fair winds, Fore and Aft
Tracey, if you happen to read this, please correct my sketchy recollections,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“A sad sight” ~ by Elaine Bunting [2012]
This forlorn hulk is all that remains of one of the greatest ocean beaters in sailing history [“Enza/Maiden 2”]
https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/...sad-sight-4191

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:22   #18

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
I also sailed one of our America's Cup 12 meters when she went tourist day tripping.
That I find quite interesting. I always thought of a 12 meter as being the ultimate daysailor.
Although, a French sailor took a retired Bich 12 meter from France to Tahiti singlehanded and said it "was a good sea-boat", and I suppose he had no trouble going to weather, (I imagine it was a wet ride).
Yes, your comment about clearing a lee shore is apt.
As his designs progressed, even Colin Archer started reducing the forefoot of his boats to increase windward ability.
Alden did the same, increasing the "drag" of the keel, with less forefoot.
Perhaps I should use the term "pointing ability", as in closer to the wind.
L. Francis did refer to his 73' Ticonderoga as a "Gentleman's daysailor".
Right, a "daysailor", now that's worth a laugh.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Well, Tracy Edwards did buy her from Peter Blake for her all-women attempt at breaking the round-the-world record.

They got as far as somewhere off Cape Horn, if I remember correctly, and were dismasted. That's where I lost track of her (former ENZA, I mean). The details are hazy, but as I remember it, the team did not have to be rescued and were able to jury rig and/or motor into a SA port. That's the last I followed that boat.

ENZA was worth a lot, so I imagine Tracy would have sold her to another syndicate - but that is pure speculation on my part, as we've not really heard from that boat since.

Hm. Maybe the insurance elected to write her off (ENZA, I mean) since she was so far South and dismasted...? Maybe it was less expensive.

Anyway, the person who would have the straight story would be Tracy.

Fair winds, Fore and Aft
Tracy, if you happen to read this, please correct my sketchy recollections,
LittleWing77
Follow-up info from Tracy Edwards below. (Apologies for having spelled her name with an "ey" . For some reason, that's the way I'd remembered it.) Please note: Tracy's info would be more current than the link posted by Gord May, as that article was from 2012.
Thank you, Tracy!

"Royal SunAlliance sold the cat to Tony Bullimore who raced it around the world in the Oryx Quest coming in 2nd.

He then sold her (not sure who to); the crew managed to flip her in the Atlantic and she was scrapped.

She was then bought and completely converted. French skipper Victorien Erussard pilots the self-energy producing multihull "Energy Observer," off the coasts of Saint-Malo, western France, on June 23, 2017. The Energy Observer, an autonomous boat powered by hydrogen and renewable energy, is in preparation for a world tour in six years."
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Abandoned schooner in Queensland Australia

Nice one Little Wing.. good to know she did not come to an ignominious fate..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:24   #21

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Follow-up info from Tracy Edwards below. (Apologies for having spelled her name with an "ey" . For some reason, that's the way I'd remembered it.) Please note: Tracy's info would be more current than the link posted by Gord May, as that article was from 2012.
Thank you, Tracy!

"Royal SunAlliance sold the cat to Tony Bullimore who raced it around the world in the Oryx Quest coming in 2nd.

He then sold her (not sure who to); the crew managed to flip her in the Atlantic and she was scrapped.

She was then bought and completely converted. French skipper Victorien Erussard pilots the self-energy producing multihull "Energy Observer," off the coasts of Saint-Malo, western France, on June 23, 2017. The Energy Observer, an autonomous boat powered by hydrogen and renewable energy, is in preparation for a world tour in six years."

https://wavetrain.net/2020/02/14/ene...ailboat-again/

Her latest guise.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockster1059 View Post
Hi everyone, re the disused Laguna Quays resort near Yepoon in Queensland... does anyone know the name of the abandoned schooner on the hard stand, and it's history? Cheers Jim.Attachment 253493
Don't know the name, but would likely call it Rust Bucket.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:23   #23

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
"Hulls/rigs such as that plied the world over", Bowdrie.

Yes indeed Bowdrie, because the hull shape is an efficient cargo carrier, but so is a rectangular box.

I have sailed a few things like that, & it is not anything that could be called a pleasure. I have even sailed an ex US coast guard buoy tender, but it was not a nice experience.

There was a very similar thing once in Gladstone, with a broken motor, & a crew without enough money to repair it. They needed to get to Sydney but were not game to move the thing without a working motor.

We offered to tow them out to sea, & then in fact showed them that the thing could be handled under the front main, [it was at least not gaff rigged], but they were not game to try. Probably a wise decision on their part.

I guess you & I have different ideas on what is acceptable sailing characteristics in a pleasure boat.
I quite agree
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 13:18   #24

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's OK. I misspelt Proserpine
Are you ware that Proserpine itself is only so named because they could not spell Persephone at the time. Not certain if the clerk mis spelt it of was too afraid to ask the Captain, that bit of the story was missing when told to me. No spell check or Google available on board!
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 06:51   #25

Hi Folks, got some feed back from my Australian Friend David Venning who at one time ran Whitsunday Sailing Charters. I asked him to research the topic. Copied below:

Further to my e-mail of 5/3/2022. This arvo I had confirmation of my report that the FLYING CLOUD remains (on the hard) a derelict at Midge Pt. (Laguna Quays). Laguna Quays Resort went bust 3 years after it opened in 1992. Cheers dv

Sent: Sunday, March 6, 2022 8:01 PM
To: David Venning
Subject: Re: Abandoned Schooner - Post Script

Dave, it looks like an interesting story. I’ll pass it on if/when you get more news. Best, Hugh

Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 8:00 PM
To: hbacon_99@yahoo.com
Subject: Abandoned Schooner - Post Script

That vessel looks a little like the FLYING CLOUD ? She once (v-briefly) traded amongst the back-packer fleet. d

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: David VENNING marlyb@bigpond.com Sent: Saturday, 5 March 2022 11:43am To: Hugh hbacon_99@yahoo.com Subject : Abandoned Schooner

Hi y’there Hugh : re Abandoned Schooner

I don’t recognise that schooner.. Abandoned schooner.JPG BUT… retain a number of v-good friends (eyes & ears) up and down the eastern seaboard of OZ.. so will put-out a request esp. to several in the Mackay to Bowen region.

It’s a few years since I went into Laguna Quays… and we had 3 v-good friends with much more than a passing connection to Laguna Quays… 1 bought an investment property in the Resort (without first running the proposal passed me), a second bought a stand-alone 2 storey house at Midge Pt. (adjacent to The Resort) and a third who lived aboard his East Coast 31 in the marina. But Laguna Quays is now derelict..

Laguna Quays pontoons.JPG Laguna Quays.JPG Hugh, I shall get back to you as soon as I have some news on this…

Cheers from dv

Date: 5 March 2022 at 6:50:31 AM AEDT
To: "David Venning" <imipl@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Abandoned Vessel in Queensland

Hey David, I belong to this yachtie palaver group. Ref the latest per the below link: anything ring a bell? Hugh

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...m_medium=email
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, queensland