Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:13   #1

ABYC Standards

I am looking for a copy at low cost of course.

toocool
toocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
To order the ABYC “Standards & Technical Information Reports for Small Craft”, you must be an ABYC member ($245.00).
< American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) - Welcome >

Goto:

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) - Standards & Technical Reports

See also:
https://www.americanboatandyachtcoun...m?printPage=1&

Here’s the Web-STIR* version:
http://www.web-stir.abycinc.org/File...troduction.pdf

* A basic internet accessible option includes all the information contained on the ABYC CD-ROM and may be accessed from any location with a DSL or better connection. Web-STIR has a modest annual renewal fee ($149.00).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You could also burn the PDF file to a CD and have Kinko's print you a paper copy in manual form. I recently got a price quote from Kinko's for a 250 page manual. Kinko's wanted $44 for a black and white and $250 for a color version. I don't know if printing out ABYC's PDF is legal or not. Check with ABYC first. My guess is they want to sell you their expensive manual.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 16:10   #4

The following is what drove the search for the standards.
I have a 1989 65' Stardust Houseboat that I purchased in 2000 and installed an inverter and batteries in the hold under the living area. It was surveyed 2 years ago with no major problems. The same surveyer inspected the boat next to mine. It is a 1991 model with self installed inverter system in the same location. Now the surveyer says the batterys are unacceptable in that location and must be move from under the living area to the hold area under the front deck.

Opinions?
toocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 16:39   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Well, surveyors do strange things sometimes just to impress on folks how important they are. The question should be, Why did he suggest this? I have looked at my copy of the ABYC Standards and there are lots of areas that could cover this and none that specifically cover this. About the closest I could find is

"Adequate ventilation should be provided to the bank of batteries to limit the temperature rise during the charging.
Sealed valve regulator batteries do allow escape of hydrogen gasses during overcharging; therefore, SVR batteries
require the same precautions for ventilation as wet (flooded) batteries. During the charging process, fully enclosed
battery boxes will result in a greater temperature rise than with an open battery box."

So what does that mean? I am not sure what your concern is but perhaps you may be expending a lot of effort for naught. As a certified tech and having done and serviced a lot of electrical systems there could be any number of reasons for this or none at all and none may apply to your installation.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 18:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool View Post
The following is what drove the search for the standards.
I have a 1989 65' Stardust Houseboat that I purchased in 2000 and installed an inverter and batteries in the hold under the living area. It was surveyed 2 years ago with no major problems. The same surveyer inspected the boat next to mine. It is a 1991 model with self installed inverter system in the same location. Now the surveyer says the batterys are unacceptable in that location and must be move from under the living area to the hold area under the front deck.

Opinions?
Call the surveyor and ask why. You paid for the survey.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 19:00   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Well, it is hard to understand. Did the surveyor say this about your boat after he already surveyed it or did he say this about the OTHER boat he surveyed like yours?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 20:00   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Gee...you mean all those high priced sailboats with the batteries in the salon's are illegal or the powerboats with the engines under the salon and the starter batteries right next to them?

O >>>>MY>>>>>GAWD>>>>>>What were these designers smoking????
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote