Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 15:35   #1

Acquiring a slip for my future boat

Hello
I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm not annoying anyone with my newbie questions but, I need a bit of help from folks with experience. I'm getting back into sailing and that means finding and buying a boat. My question is: would it be a good idea to shop for a marina slip before I buy a boat? Maybe even rent the slip in advance. Is that ever done? Would marinas even entertain renting a slip for a boat to be disclosed later?
I plan to buy a mono haul 32-34 feet so at least I have that information.

Thanks for any help you can offer...
xcfranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: Acquiring a slip for my future boat

Good question but a lot depends on where you are. In Vancouver, it is usually a good idea to have a slip lined up before buying a boat, or find a boat that comes with a slip. This approach avoids buying a boat and then not having anywhere to park it.

We have had to wait 8 months to 1.5 years to move a new to us boat closer to home. The boat range that you have in mind is easier than a bigger boat but as a minimum I would check with several marinas in a preferred area regarding slip availability and the length of the waiting list, if any.
Old 30-04-2021, 16:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Dana Point the waitlist for a 35' slip is down to only 6 years.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 19:20   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Acquiring a slip for my future boat

Marblehead harbor the mooring wait list is 15-20 years. Around the corner in Salem it’s 0-2 years.
No slips in Marblehead. Very few in Salem.
Plan ahead!
There are thousands of moorings between the two harbors.
And club or not, the town and city run the wait lists.
And you do not need to own a boat to be on the lists.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 19:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcfranko View Post
Hello
I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm not annoying anyone with my newbie questions but, I need a bit of help from folks with experience. I'm getting back into sailing and that means finding and buying a boat. My question is: would it be a good idea to shop for a marina slip before I buy a boat? Maybe even rent the slip in advance. Is that ever done? Would marinas even entertain renting a slip for a boat to be disclosed later?

By all means, have a look now for the places you'd most like to keep your boat at. Get quotes, ask about whether there's a wait list, etc.

Do you want to end up in a yacht club or a marina? If it's a yacht club, generally the best idea is to join ASAP, and get on their wait list for slips. While waiting, you can participate as a social member, crew for other members, etc. You might even fall across a great boat for sale at the club, or get some good leads. (yes I belong to a club. Our wait time has varied from 6 months to 4 years, and changes quickly)

For a marina, you simply have to ask at the office.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 19:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

In SoCal you better have a slip lined up or you're going to have to leave the boat anchored off a lee shore and swim to it. I put my name in at Oceanside Harbor expecting a couple year wait so began a leisurely look for a boat to put in the slip. Strangely got a call from the Marina after 6 months that a slip was available and I had a week to come in, sign the paperwork, start paying the monthly fee, and 2 months to get a boat to put in the slip. Leasurely looking turned into panicked search but all worked out in the end. Ended up paying for an empty slip for 4 months as winter weather didn't allow me to move the boat from SF to Oceanside for two months. Harbor was kind enough to let it slide but finally gave me an ultimatum to get the boat in the slip by x date or lose the slip. The weather made for an interesting delivery under duress.

In private marinas you normally can just pay for a hole in the water while you're looking for a slip. Municipal marinas almost always require you to get a boat in the slip in a limited amount of time. Some marinas will allow a boat you buy to stay in its slip if that works out for you. There are creative ways to be able put a boat in someone else's slip but you'll need good advice on how to do it. Usually boat brokers in the area keep an eye on the slip situation and may be able to help you find a way to get a slip
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 19:56   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Good advice upthread. The situation does vary regionally. I would suggest making some calls to marinas before making a decision on a boat. Your situation is not unusual and they should be able to give some good advice.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:53   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.............My question is: would it be a good idea to shop for a marina slip before I buy a boat? Maybe even rent the slip in advance. Is that ever done? Would marinas even entertain renting a slip for a boat to be disclosed later?............
Always shop for a marina slip BEFORE you buy the boat but try to agree on starting rent/lease immediately after you take possession of the boat. Rarely does that happen in my sailing area of San Francisco Bay because slips are first come first serve. So you may likely rent the slip in advance. But I would not rent the slip until you know you are going to buy the boat that will fit in that slip. In my area marinas require an application with a description of the boat (manufacturer, length and year) boat photo, insurance coverage naming them as an additional insured.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:56   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Where are you located, and where are you thinking of keeping the boat? Keep in mind that while finding a slip in a marina that you are happy with may take a while, there are other options.

One option already mentioned is a mooring. Some marinas also offer moorings. An advantage of this is that it gives you a foot in the door AND a place to keep you dinghy.

Another option is a yacht club. They usually have launches which make the mooring a whole lot more convenient.

Good luck with your hunt for both the marina and a boat.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:43   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hello

Tell us where you're at or want to be as this situation changes drastically based on location. Here in So Cal, finding an open slip is nearly impossible and while your plan to get the slip first is sound, the nicer marinas will want to see what you're planning on putting in there (this is not a place for boat hippies). You should plan on a long wait list or opt for a mooring ball until a slip becomes available.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:07   #11

Could he just buy the slip and rent it out via snagaslip until he finds a boat?
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:08   #12

Boat: 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch

Regardless of the order of your acquisitions, make sure the boat fits the slip!
bioandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:57   #13

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

If you enjoy the camaraderie of a yacht club I suggest you investigate the ones in your area. If you find one you like join and immediately get on the slip waiting list. Clubs sometimes have different fees for Regular and Flag (boat owner) member. Usually there is an initiation fee but then slip fees are somewhat lower and more predictable than private marinas. The wait list gives you some idea when a slip your size will be available. Of course you will not be paying slip fees until you have a slip. When you get near the top of the list go boat hunting and put the new to you boat in a private marina or on a mooring until your Club slip is available. Some clubs will allow you to use transient slips until then. An advantage of this approach is that many clubs have crew wanted lists that you can use to make friends and to learn the local waters.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:59   #14

Wow...lots of great advice. I now feel much less confident about the whole slip hunting deal..
I live in North Florida and my goal has been to find a boat in a slip that I could continue to keep. But, that's a lot to ask...on top of looking for the that "perfect boat".
I'm going to start calling around some more...I did git on a waiting list but unsure about the wait time.

Thank you all, its so nice to be able to tap into all this knowledge.
xcfranko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat