Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 19:53   #1
cruiser

ADMIT IT!

That the main reason your into sailing is to 'get away'. From the crowds, nasty rules, nasty people, trash along the public areas, deteriorating society, air pollution, noise pollution, money madness. I do.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:01   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: ADMIT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
That the main reason your into sailing is to 'get away'. From the crowds, nasty rules, nasty people, trash along the public areas, deteriorating society, air pollution, noise pollution, money madness. I do.
I never thought about it that way. I like to get away from crowds but for me I feel recharged from the ocean. Like it cleanses my soul and lets me face the world for a while longer.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:01   #3

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

True facts. Escaping from Chicago only takes 10 minutes if you can head due East!
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:01   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

I don't know if it's the main reason, but it's in the list of many reasons. Same reason we go camping.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:18   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I just like sailing.

I can get away from all of those other things by either closing the door or going for a 5-minute walk in the woods. Much easier.

Really, nearly all people are nice.
Old 11-05-2017, 21:31   #6

Not for me. I once saw a picture of a yacht, with a stern anchor out, in perfectly clear water, nose tied to a coconut palm, with it's bow overhanging a snow white coral beach, with people boarding the yacht with dry feet.

I always wanted to do that myself. I had to sail 2500 miles to the Duke Of York Islands, between New Britain & New Island, New Guinea to find a place with small enough tides & steep too enough beach to do it with my 7Ft draft.

The photos I took are gone, but the memory is still fresh, & boy was it worth it.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 21:53   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Naw, I truly look at wonder and awe upon the places and people around me every day: the homeless man with the tennis shoe on one foot and sandal on the other, the full moon rising after my friend's memorial sail last night, the tall ship that's been docked next to the grocery store, the small fish and birds that seem to manage despite the trash in my marina, the salty water in the pool where I swim each week. I sail because I love the feeling; I'll leave when I'm good and ready, but not because of nastiness, which seems rather rare even if it might be all around.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 23:21   #8

Boat: ‘89 Hallberg-Rassy 42

I'll admit it.
HR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 00:50   #9
cruiser

Quote:
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I never thought about it that way. I like to get away from crowds but for me I feel recharged from the ocean. Like it cleanses my soul and lets me face the world for a while longer.
Yes, definitely the other piece of the puzzle.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:30   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Naw, I truly look at wonder and awe upon the places and people around me every day: the homeless man with the tennis shoe on one foot and sandal on the other, the full moon rising after my friend's memorial sail last night, the tall ship that's been docked next to the grocery store, the small fish and birds that seem to manage despite the trash in my marina, the salty water in the pool where I swim each week. I sail because I love the feeling; I'll leave when I'm good and ready, but not because of nastiness, which seems rather rare even if it might be all around.
A great way to view the world.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:03   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I happily admit.
I also admit that I spend most of my money on the boat, the rest I waste on other stuff...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I can admit it. I can also say now that I'm a cruiser that it does really work.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:36   #13

Absolutely false for us.

While we do enjoy some time in remote areas, we aren't trying to escape the world. We want to see the culture and people. We are't antisocial.

The boat is a means to see the world. Some of our best stops have been in built up areas. We loved NYC and for the cost of 7 nights hotel, we stayed for a month.

So NOTHING to ADMIT.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40   #14

Quote:

The crusty plane of the earth gives way, at sea, to a swell that is eager to dance along with the changing moods of nature, beating out a rhythm that is far beyond the human attention span, permitting and even forcing a surrender to the infinite.

It’s ironic that inside this high risk package, a tiny sailboat at the mercy of the ocean, lies an experience of serene security that arrises from the utter predictability of a rhythmic dance.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45   #15

Boat: Currently in between

I freely admit it. As I get older I find I like people less and less.