Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 19:34   #16

Boat: Watkins 29'
Re: Advice

Hank what about your return trip or are you leaving the boat down there? I personally think you are a little light, unexpected things happen all the time and rarely is it cheap. I would have a decent emergency fund in case you get in a bind and I would definitely have a Boat US unlimited towing plan, also it would be a good idea to carry spares and supplies to keep the boat going.
Old 11-02-2014, 19:41   #17

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Hank....you have started a great Thread of ALL positive comments....you will have a lot of support and encouragement on this journey. If your schedule permits, when you swing this way through Jacksonville and you don't mind coming "up" the St. John's River 3-4 miles, we have dockage across the street at Metropolitan Park (city owned) that you can stay 72 hrs for only $8.75 nightly including water and electricity. There is also Free Pump out available. They have the necessary connections for you do to it yourself. The negative is that there are no stores of any type within walking distance.

You could also go about another 3/4 mile to "The Landings" and stay the night for Free but no hookups/facility of any kind. However, plenty of restaurants, entertainment just a step off your boat.

You'll have also passed Arlington Marina(a full service marina) just before you get to Metro Park. Also, across from "The Landings" is a Marina that has overnight dockage,fuel and a nice restaurant.

I'm sure others will come on board and off a lot of good suggestions as well. I'm sure you are familiar with the website/app "Active Captain"....great info with input from cruisers.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04   #18

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yes I have a BoatUS card...I had talked to NAS Jax at one time about pulling there for a day or two but that they are some 26 miles up the St. Johns...I do like u r suggestion fjwiley1 and dully noted...as for final destination..I was offered a slip at Boca Chia last year but had to decline but i am expecting to get the same offer this year..I am retired air force so its at the NAS in keys...someone emailed from around charlotte and lake norman but i have missplace it so if u would send me a way of contacting u...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:17   #19

Boat: islandpacket

A few thoughts.
Get towing insurance,
Make sure your batteries are good and you have a large enough bank. Your motoring all the way might as well have the juce.
Unless you have to be there by a certain date and you should be very flexible, take your time why rush. Lots to see and its good to get a few days rest along the way. I have done this trip several times on other's boats and it took 20-30 days. When I do this on my own boat I will do it in 2-3 month's. I anchor out mostly but after a few long days I need a beak.
So enjoy your trip take your time whats the rush. The only cost to a longer trip is food and your going to eat anyway either on boat or land. Also the days get short and its hard to be out that long and you do not want to be out after dark. Go for short days, take your time. Bring books or use the extra batteries for tv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42   #20

I have all new agm batteries plus new changer...and will have solar by then...I have packaged up spar parts..belts/impellas/thermostates/injectors/anods...the engine only has 450 hrs since total overhaul...all new standing rigging from bow to stern...all interrior lighting is LED. All new bottom paint and inspection....what am i missing...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:46   #21

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
How about a good tender. If you have one with a motor you can use it to hip tow ( putting the dingy along side at the stern) I also find when using two anchors it's easier to set the second anchor from the dinghy.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It's a fine boat. Was my first sailboat. The weak part is the Volvo 2002. You'll do fine but you might not have ten hours of daylight and the anchorages will not be exactly ten hours apart so you'll have to be flexible. If you manage to average 50 miles (these are land miles) a day you'll be fine. It's a great trip. A few fuel and water jugs and you won't need to go into marinas. Plan on taking a bit more time. Getting up early and weighing anchor everyday can be a pain. If you're in a nice anchorage, take a day off and enjoy the sights. Or when you're in Vero Beach on a mooring take a break. Free bus service etc.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12   #23

Yea the 2002 vol is something else but u know it has given me good service...kinda costly to maintain but so far so good...yes i do have a tender with a 5 hp 2 stroke...I know everyone say why am i putting that much into a 30 footer...but yourself knows the CS 30 is a hell of a boat...I am so impressed with it...would i like to have bigger..oh yes but that cs 30 keeps drawing me back. Mine is probably the most cared for as i dont skip when it comes to maintenance..Its the only CS 30 in NC and I have had offers and admires of it..its handling is beyond what one would expect...lots want to race it...
Old 12-02-2014, 10:21   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Hank....you have started a great Thread of ALL positive comments....you will have a lot of support and encouragement on this journey. If your schedule permits, when you swing this way through Jacksonville and you don't mind coming "up" the St. John's River 3-4 miles, we have dockage across the street at Metropolitan Park (city owned) that you can stay 72 hrs for only $8.75 nightly including water and electricity. There is also Free Pump out available. They have the necessary connections for you do to it yourself. The negative is that there are no stores of any type within walking distance.

You could also go about another 3/4 mile to "The Landings" and stay the night for Free but no hookups/facility of any kind. However, plenty of restaurants, entertainment just a step off your boat.

You'll have also passed Arlington Marina(a full service marina) just before you get to Metro Park. Also, across from "The Landings" is a Marina that has overnight dockage,fuel and a nice restaurant.

I'm sure others will come on board and off a lot of good suggestions as well. I'm sure you are familiar with the website/app "Active Captain"....great info with input from cruisers.
Can you still get into the stadium marina free? Haven't been up that way for ten years or so but a friend was asking.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:40   #25

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

dockage is free for 72 hours. $8.75 is for water and electricity.......

Also, pump out is free/self service........kinda a good deal.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 14:40   #26

Boat: Watkins 29'

Hank what solar panel are you considering? I stumbled on these at Home Depot and wondering if they are any good..
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar...5?N=5yc1vZbm18
Old 12-02-2014, 16:40   #27

I am looking at 2 -100w with all the wireing/mounting brackets and controller for $298.00...final decession has not been made....may increase to 125 or 150 watt...a lot will determine where i mount them..
Old 12-02-2014, 17:21   #28

Since you are going to be motoring for many hours almost everyday, I dont think you need to worry about solar panels for the trip. By the time you have arrived in Florida, you will know much more than you know now, and can make a better decision on how much power you need. You will also have a better idea of where to place them, so that they dont interfere with your sailing. I have done parts of the ditch in 2 different boats and had a great time, but it will keep you on your toes. Have a great trip!!!______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 17:44   #29

Yea motoring most of the way I would not need the solar but its when i get there and plan is not to sit still...i will use Boca Chia as a jumping off point...out for days and then back in to re supply...so the panels will come in handy...and the high cost of everything down there its more cost effective to install them up here...and who knows with any luck at all maybe on the way back go outside and use that long pole that stick up in the air out of the middle of the boat...i hear that can be a lot of fun...
Old 12-02-2014, 19:08   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Thanks for your service. I don't know military facilities on the east coast but most on the west coast welcome military eligible visitors.
kind regards,