Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 09:35   #46

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Boatman....not sure, I used to get their "Newsletter" but it stopped for some reason. Probably something I did unintentionally. It, Active Captain, seemed very usefull

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:41   #47

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Advice

I still get it. One came this week or last for sure.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 10:02   #48

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Advice

Put the Active Captain on one of your Nav programs. It works great. If you go to their web site you can figgure out what will work for you.

I've done the intracoastal a couple of times and loved it. Plenty of places to anchor and wonderful views.

I agree that a windlass, a big anchor on a self launching mount and all chain rode will make life easier for you. There are times the anchor takes just a little further to set than you would like and if all it takes is a push of the button to do it again you won't hesitate.

With a 6 knot cruise speed I would plan on averaging 30 +- miles a day. No sense in beating yourself up. Like someone else said. The extra time just costs food and you need to eat where ever you are.

GA requires paying attention to the tide and markers but it isn't rocket science. The currents can get vigorous near inlets so if there is a lot of tidal area served by only one small inlet be prepared for current or just pass that area at high slack tide.

Go for it but take your time and enjoy.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 10:04   #49

BC...glad to hear it. I sent them a e-mail so hopefully I'll get back on their list.

Hank...not sure what your problems may be. I hadn't had the Sam experiences. Just logged in a bit ago and looked at the comments on parts of the ICW around south of Brunswick utilizing the "Nautical" charts as reference. I really enjoy the site.

Life is Good.....

S/V Water Wings
Old 14-02-2014, 10:11   #50

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Another vote for learning about Active Captain and using it. It's starting to be useful here on the left coast but I think it is an essential tool on the east coast.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 11:48   #51

Boat: Dawson / Pro Cat

Garmin Chartplotters have the currents on the maps and when going down the IWC it would be helpful for a 6-7knt boat only making 3-4 in some places so you may whant to factor some extra in for fule. (But) not a must have Hank use you common sense instead of braking the bank for new gadgets. set out when slack tide comes your way and coast on, in some parts this will help say Oriental to Wilmington where things are tight. I just sent you a pm im in New Bern too.
shane malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:17   #52

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yeeeaaaa i got Active captain to work....looks good...going to install it on my Ipad as well....hey i cant thank all of you enough for all the good info...keep it comming i am soaking it all in....thanks again
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 16:50   #53

Hey here is another thing ...will some sort of bug screen or netting to cover the cockpit be need during the trip down and once there...?????
Old 14-02-2014, 17:06   #54

Hank...you'll definitely want some "screening''' down here in Florida as the weather warms up. When the winds die down, we'll get the "no seeums". You can always use "Deet" or something similar but that can get nasty some times. I use when it really gets bad. You can make your own screens for your companion way, hatches, port lites.

S/V Water Wings
Old 14-02-2014, 17:12   #55

Your post #45:
"I have downloaded it but not sure if its working all that well....all i get is a a chart and when u zoom in it goes blurry"

I have downloaded Active Captain "Companion" on my Lap Top and iPhone 5c after I read your post #45 and they are both "blurry"...what did you do to "fix" that on post # 52..??

S/V Water Wings
Old 14-02-2014, 18:41   #56

I went to goggle and down loaded it and filled out the reg form and they sent me an email confirming it and then i logged in and that was it
Old 14-02-2014, 19:12   #57

Thanks Hank....I had used "Internet Explorer" to download "Companion" have deleted it and now reloading via Chrome....here we go.....

S/V Water Wings
Old 15-02-2014, 05:24   #58

i tried to load active capt on my pad and it want...it says its still under development...now thats the android system...anyone else have same problem
Old 15-02-2014, 05:29   #59

Advice

I just bought an app "Skipper". It has Active Captain integrated in it. At ~$10 per year I am pleased so far. I use the Ipad as a backup and planned tool.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 07:29   #60

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We have done over 20 transits of the ICW and Georgia is one of our favorite stretches. Your draft will determine where you might have to play the tides. Be sure and get the most up to date information on the problem spots. A good source is Salty Southeast Cruiser's Net. Our anchorage book for the ICW has over 450 anchorages and free docks along the way, so the entire ditch can easily be done without marina stops. But we typically do a marina stop about every week to 10 days. That stop gives us a chance to wash down the boat, do laundry,take on fuel and water and resupply. That's just our choice and it can be done without a marina stop, but you need to know which anchorage has shore access with a grocery nearby. It will be tough getting the salt off the boat but if you get enough rain showers, that won't be a problem either. We also had a water catcher built into our bimini top making the need to fill up at the dock less. Have a great trip. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote