Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 07:08   #31

Re: Advice for ports sailing south along the east coast.

I live and boat (sail and power) here in beautiful Amelia Island, which has the lovely Fernandina Beach city on the intercostal. The downtown is historical and friendly. John Grishahm lives here and wrote two novels about the area. "Camino Island" and Camino Wind". The anchorage across from the downtown section has great holding in most winds. There's mooring ball (new) also. There are three marinas along the island. And some fabulous sea food and fishing.

The current and tidal range is greater than I thought at first. The several rivers run full and fast. The inlet is typical in most ways but you MUST go out far before turning north or south. Check the charts. The north jetty is often submerged and runs further east than seems likely. There are two range markers that will lead you and SSBN'S into the harbor.

Anyone making passage along here is welcome to give me a shout.
Old 13-11-2020, 07:13   #32

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

The Waterway Guide has an excellent description of all the inlets on the East coast. Excellent resource.
Old 13-11-2020, 07:20   #33

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

I second the idea of stoping in Fernandina Beach. It's just across the river from Georgia and has a brand new marina downtown. City is historic with a lot of fun things to do. Enjoy.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 07:40   #34

Boat: Catalina, 380, 38 LOA
Wink Re: Advice for ports sailing south along the east coast.

DockDoc,

As a Delivery Skipper along the East Coast and ICW, I feel that I need to chime in here.

You're getting a lot of great information as per your inquiry but as I hope you are aware, (and you must be since you posted your mast height), You are also getting a lot of mis-information on locations that require a mast height of 65" feet or less.

Also, if Southport is on your list, the Southport Marina is now closed for repairs to be effected as a result of a recent hurricane this year.
They are however back up to offering fueling services if needed.

Mast height is a big deal. Especially anywhere up and down this coast and many areas are shut off to you because of this. 69' is abundant but as mentioned in previous posts, there are still many places for you to rest, relax and enjoy. Have a great trip!
Sailstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:16   #35

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Thank you all very very much. The advice is spectacular and what I have come to know and respect as a great online sailing community.

We had a family discussion the other night, or plan was to sail tomorrow south, but we have decided with increasing covid numbers, the political change that will occur in January (no politics thank you just observations), and an increasing need for ER doctors (that's me and the wife) we will winterize the boat, work thru the winter months, and plan to sail in May 2021 back to Newfoundland and then perhaps on to Iceland.

I am very grateful for all the submissions, and hope to use them in the future!

Cheers
Old 13-11-2020, 11:17   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'

Your bridge clearance is your main limiting factor. Let me cover that first because most catamaran owners of boats greater than 40'-42' have the same problem. When we purchased our 2007 Lagoon 440, she came with a 70' mast height over the dead waterline. However, all the fixed rigging ended +/- 6' lower. I worked with The Catamaran Company and the local Doyle sail loft just north of Ft. Lauderdale to un-step the mast, remove the cap on the mast, remove the "excess" mast and refit the cap and masthead electronics. Doyle then cut the minimal amount area from the top "triangle" of the mainsail and inserted the necessary angled batten and car attachment to convert the standard mainsail into what we have all become familiar with, a "square-top " mainsail. No sail area was lost in the genoa, gennaker or asymetrical spinnaker we had. Total cost was about $7,500. Well worth it for the east coast navigation options it opened up. What came as a fractional rig, became a masthead rig.

Now, regarding places to go and see on your way south. I live in the Hilton Head, SC area, so I'll focus on what I know from cruising this general area. Starting at Charleston to the north, (if, as you said, you want to anchor out as much as possible), you'll want to go to the left of the Charleston peninsula (up the Ashley River) to just short of the City Marina. Anchor opposite the main channel from the Marina and head in to the dinghy dock. I highly suggest you carry folding bikes (which will be useful just about everywhere you go - except Cumberland Island). Although most of the "sights" on the Charleston peninsula tend to be on the opposite side of the peninsula, the bike ride is incredible. Don't forget the actual tip of the peninsula.

Next is Beaufort, SC. It's a little more off the beaten path on the ICW and you may choose to skip it because if you don't do the mast treatment I suggested, it will involve one 65' ICW bridge just to the south of the downtown area. Significant portions of "Forrest Gump", "The Big Chill" and "The Great Santini" were filmed there.

Hilton Head Island is also a great place to stop. Don't miss the show under the big live oak at Harbour Town Marina, The Island has done a great job tying everything together with generous width bike paths.

You mentioned Savannah, so I won't add to it, except to say that the downtown area is relatively compact. Another great bike event. Finding a place to anchor might be a problem.

Georgia (with the help of the federal government) has done a great job of buying up and preserving their barrier islands. With the exception of Tybee Island (Savannah Beach) on the north and St. Simons/Sea Island and Jekyll near Brunswick, all the rest have been preserved. However, great anchorages area available near reasonably well marked inlets, offering great walks on deserted beaches. Cumberland Island is a must stop for nature walking on the southern end. There is a dinghy dock at the head of the path that takes you by the remnants of Dungeness, the former Carnegie estate. Don't forget to continue the path to the beach and it's incredible 40'-50' high sand dunes!!!

Cumberland Island and Amelia Island share St. Mary's Inlet (also shared by the Poseidon Nuclear Sub Base tucked in behind Cumberland). On the north end of Amelia Island is the town of Fernandina Beach. There is good anchorage space opposite the ICW from the downtown marina. You'll enjoy a great bike ride throughout the beautiful old village, as well as several eating choices as well.

Enjoy your trip!!!

P.S.: One place on the way down the NC coast you didn't list was Ocracoke Island. Stop there if you can.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 08:09   #37

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
In that case, his only option might be to go west on Barge canal thru two bascule bridges, to Harbortown Marina. But check with Harbortown for vertical clearance on overhead cables between the locks and their marina on the barge canal, not shown on charts!
The power lines are fairly well north of the canal. So no problem there.
Remember not to travel the area during a launch.
Depending on your stay, you may not need to go through the locks. (no real reasonto be further away)
Cape marina is there and so are a lot of decent restuarants along the inlet. You may even be able to tie up along a commercial [fishing] dock & reatuarant.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, ports, sail, sailing