Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 14:44   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Advice for relocating the family (USA)

Settle down kids, here I'll pour you a Makers.

Yup right or wrong the Sound is just about all the saltwater in Washington east of the Pacific.
Old 12-06-2022, 15:11   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thread closed for a short period while you all enjoy Sand crab's generous offer of a Makers and the mods consider a deep reef of the political jibs.

Go below and enjoy your break. We will let you know if the thread remains afloat or if all sails are struck.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 18:40   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Eighteen posts have been deleted for mostly political propaganda or quoting it reasons; two were for being not nice. This thread may be allowed to continue. The issue is still under discussion.

Please use the report post button when you find a political post, rather than responding with your own point of view. All of us agreed to follow the rules when we joined, and all political posting must relate directly to sailing or cruising, or it will be removed. There are many other venues for political discussion.

Thanks for your cooperation. It makes the forum more pleasant for everyone.

Ann/JPA Cate, moderator
Old 12-06-2022, 19:04   #49
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Finish your drinks, mates. Come up on deck and sail on with trimmed rig.

Steer clear of the political shoals, steady on the helm and enjoy the voyage.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 20:00   #50

Thank you
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 20:05   #51

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

If you are looking for IT work in Seattle you might want to look at Bremerton, WA

Kitsap transit has 30 minute/$2 each way high speed ferry to downtown Seattle M-F
during work hours.

Washington State ferry for walk on is free going into downtown Seattle and $7.00 for the return. It takes 1 hour but runs all most 24 hours a day.

Bremerton Marina is 500 ft from the ferry terminal. With the new Orca public transit card it's good for all the public ferries, trains and bus systems.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 20:18   #52

Re: Olympic Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
So what do you want? Remote anchorages? Busy developed tourist attractions? Access to marine services? Consistent moderate winds? Moderate sunny weather?
I do not yet have the boat, need to not only fit it for nomadic cruising / passagemaking but to gather lots more training and experience. I do not care so much about "fun easy pleasant" trips, no tourism, as much as challenging, out into the open sea for a few weeks at a time then come back would be fine?

Access to fellow DIY sailors, mentors, marine services is definitely most important (with good schools, social factors for the kids)

Tolerance of liveaboards is right up there, paying rent on land definitely will crimp the fitting-out budget

> A partial list of places to sail to in Southern California:

> Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, Santa Barbara Ventura, Chanel Islands/Oxnard, Santa Barbara Island, Paradise Cove/Malibu, Catalina Island/Avalon/Isthmus Cove/Cat Harbor/etc., Marina del Ray, San Pedro, Long Beach, Alamitos Bay, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Oceanside, Mission Bay, Shelter Island Basin, Glorietta Bay, Chula Vista.

Newport Beach happens to be a place that caught my eye, Orange County in general.

Would others on this list be as good or better than San Diego itself, given my original criteria?

Being so far south, nothing like Florida right?

I'm guessing crazy more expensive than Washington an hour away from Seattle?
Old 12-06-2022, 20:38   #53

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Northern California. Bring lots and lots of money.
P.S. Do you have a boat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Do you have a boat Paul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I never received an answer Paul...Do you have a boat?

There is a reason why I, at least, am asking this question. Often times a newer member is putting the cart before the horse. If you currently do not have a boat maybe you can formulate a plan to get there without uprooting your family.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 20:54   #54

I do not want this to divert topic from my OP - moving across the country is a given, regardless of the sailing.

The community we land in will not be determined by the boat, much better the other way around.
Old 12-06-2022, 21:02   #55

So 369 posts on cruisers forum.....and no boat. Sounds like never have had a boat.
But want to go out into the ocean for a few weeks.

Hope that all works out for you.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 21:04   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Olympic Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
I do not yet have the boat, need to not only fit it for nomadic cruising / passagemaking but to gather lots more training and experience. I do not care so much about "fun easy pleasant" trips, no tourism, as much as challenging, out into the open sea for a few weeks at a time then come back would be fine?

Port Townsend, San Diego, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco meet this requirement. But...SF has by far the best long season sailing.

Access to fellow DIY sailors, mentors, marine services is definitely most important (with good schools, social factors for the kids)

Imo, sailors are friendly everywhere. You can't plan EVERYTHING, life is forever getting in the way of plans.

Tolerance of liveaboards is right up there, paying rent on land definitely will crimp the fitting-out budget

Liveaboards are not well tolerated anywhere; they are perceived as "getting away with something they shouldn't".

> A partial list of places to sail to in Southern California:

> Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, Santa Barbara Ventura, Chanel Islands/Oxnard, Santa Barbara Island, Paradise Cove/Malibu, Catalina Island/Avalon/Isthmus Cove/Cat Harbor/etc., Marina del Ray, San Pedro, Long Beach, Alamitos Bay, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Oceanside, Mission Bay, Shelter Island Basin, Glorietta Bay, Chula Vista.

Newport Beach happens to be a place that caught my eye, Orange County in general.

Would others on this list be as good or better than San Diego itself, given my original criteria?

Being so far south, nothing like Florida right?

The political climate is different from FL; but also, CA is a natural desert.
It is lacking in enough water for its own population at this time.

I'm guessing crazy more expensive than Washington an hour away from Seattle?

Probably. Just Google mean incomes for the areas in which you are interested.
You have a big city perspective on cruising destinations, from my [biased] point of view. If you enjoy exploring cities, there are plenty of potential destinations. My own experiences have been mostly going to somewhere less trafficked, way rural.

Ann
Old 12-06-2022, 23:34   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
I do not want this to divert topic from my OP - moving across the country is a given, regardless of the sailing.

The community we land in will not be determined by the boat, much better the other way around.

You are being covert and pretty selective with any information you are giving out. Not really fair to the forum in my opinion. I think I'm done spending my time here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:56   #58

Port Townsend has a well regarded high school, and now the Northwest Maritime Center has started a maritime high school program for kids interested in boats, maritime tradition, trades, oceanography, etc. It's a great livable, walkable, friendly, progressive town, with boats and maritime trades galore, but housing and rentals are at a premium, though with your willingness to pay well for rental accommodations, you'd probably find something. E.g. The 70/48 race just ended here and the race to Alaska just started.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 10:02   #59

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The race to Alaska sounds exciting.
The Marine School sounds brilliant also.

Do they race outside Vancouver island. Racing on the inside sounds like a vacation
I just followed the Annapolis to Bermuda race lead by a Pogo 50 with a Navy 44 in hot pursuits.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 10:21   #60

Any boat that is wind or human powered can race, so this year boats that qualify can race outside Vancouver Is. There are plenty of singlehanded sailboats and rowing boats that will stay inside for safety. But it's still not a vacation inside with huge tidal currents, tidal gates, fog, rain, lack of places to resupply, oh, and bears and cougars if you beach at the wrong place. A tracker is available online (R2AK).
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, family