Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 10:59   #76

Re: Advice for relocating the family (USA)

So are you saying the ocean water temps get warmer as you head north?

If so is that true all the way up to Vancouver?
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 11:37   #77

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
So are you saying the ocean water temps get warmer as you head north?

If so is that true all the way up to Vancouver?
Good lord no! The E to S flowing Humboldt Current out of the Aleutians cools the entire W coast, just as the Gulf Stream on the E coast warms the coastal waters and across the N Atlantic ocean. I would guess that San Diego waters are about 10-12 deg. warmer than Seattle's in the summers, and more in winter.

The further N, the colder it gets - probably in the mid 50's in the Puget Sound area in the summer, but its been 25 years or so since we spent two summers there, leaving southbound in early Oct. with first ice on the docks. Although we love the area and people, the high latitude long, wet, cold, dark winters would be too much for us.

The warmest spot I know of up there is Squirrel Cove which might reach 65deg. F, but its only after going N inside Vancouver Is., past the narrows and reversing rapids. High tides, fast currents up to 12 kt, whirlpools, etc define this area, and timing is everything.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 11:45   #78

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
I have to say Port Townsend is sounding better and better.

If only it was on the more Seattle-accessible side, but then by now it would no longer be so nice eh?

My only qualm is so much grey cloudy/wet weather, but I guess can't have everything
Hi Paul,
Just another tid bit.
The PNW, Oregon, Idaho, have a climate that supports off grid, similar to Livaboards lifestyles.

The Trick with the Weather... Stay Active, And go outdoors even if it's cloudy, you get sunlight, and it helps a lot.

And, you might consider purchasing a temporary structure, possibility a Yurt, or something like that to pitch upon a piece of land, or on someone's land.

As these are easily acquired in the reasonably local area, are not expensive, can be outfitted off grid friendly, and if planned right, the equipment used can be readapted to the vessel you'll eventually purchase.

You wouldn't need a livaboard situation right away, you would have room to work on stuff, and a relatively comfortable situation.

I lived off grid over 10 years, and see it as a great opportunity to size up your interest in where and what your doing without getting in too deep financially.
When your ready to move onto your vessel, the Yurt can be resold quite easily.

Even a travel trailer works but not near as warm and inviting as a Yurt.
Find a situation is pretty easy if you put it out there, possibly Craigslist in that are or post your interest online on another social platform.
Good luck!

Let me know if I can help you out.
I live about 60 miles from Port Townsend.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 14:22   #79

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The Sound and Pacific nearby water temp rarely gets above 50. San Diego will get above 70. I swam, surfed and body surfed there without a wetsuit for that 6 week window. FWIW a lot of the west coast gets the June Gloom. It's overcast and kinda foggy the entire month.

SoCal is extremely crowded. On the other hand the Olympic National Park has a string of beaches on the Pacific side not connected to the main Park body. Nuttin there except your footsteps. You can walk for miles and rarely see any development. There's even some spots where you can backpack and camp on the beach which is truly unique. Further south and out of the Park there's spots where you can drive on the beach.

Something for everyone.

Where are you Boatyarddog?
Old 14-06-2022, 15:41   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The Sound and Pacific nearby water temp rarely gets above 50. San Diego will get above 70. I swam, surfed and body surfed there without a wetsuit for that 6 week window. FWIW a lot of the west coast gets the June Gloom. It's overcast and kinda foggy the entire month.

SoCal is extremely crowded. On the other hand the Olympic National Park has a string of beaches on the Pacific side not connected to the main Park body. Nuttin there except your footsteps. You can walk for miles and rarely see any development. There's even some spots where you can backpack and camp on the beach which is truly unique. Further south and out of the Park there's spots where you can drive on the beach.

Something for everyone.

Where are you Boatyarddog?
Just under the bridge from you in Olympia.
We usually stop in GH when we transit North or coming home.
Boatyarddog
Old 05-09-2022, 15:27   #81

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The entire inland waterway area of Washington State meets your requirements, in my opinion. It's a boating rich area (plus they service much of the Alaska fishing fleet) so marine stores and services are plentiful. Marinas are everywhere. Public transportation is good. I think the schools are good. Tech jobs abound. Walking trails, etc.

Prices are high is Seattle proper, but within a hours drive, not so much.

We lived aboard and refit our vessel there, and sailed all year around. Destinations for summer cruises are infinite.

Is it still a great place? We left to go cruising 20+ years ago but recent visits, and word from our friends and relatives who still live there, say it is still great, a lot better than reported in some fringe media places. Just a dynamic and busy place with great restaurants, music, and terrific sailing.

Well, we're from Seattle so I guess we're prejudiced.
Old 11-09-2022, 22:10   #82

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:

So far thinking Chesapeake region, or between Northern Cali and Seattle.

No. Unless you dont mind not seeing the sun all year. PNW is cold, and miserable. And the politics in Cali are a disaster and its expensive.

Go east coast or Florida.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:37   #83

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
No. Unless you dont mind not seeing the sun all year. PNW is cold, and miserable. And the politics in Cali are a disaster and its expensive.

Go east coast or Florida.
My wife and I grew up in Seattle. We sailed away as young adults, but go back for a month or two every other year. We have lived and sailed on the east coast of Florida (Jacksonville), and we live on the Chesapeake now.

The PNW is wet, but not really cold, and you do see the sun, in the summers, for a bit. You can sail, dive, hike, climb, ski (our hobbies) and so much more, all within an hour or less of Seattle. The Puget Sound and coast to Alaska are beautiful. For the most part it's really just housing that's really expensive. The politics are pretty wacky.

We found Florida to be hot and humid half the year. You can boat. The Keys were underwhelming, but you can go to the Bahamas. Florida is often antagonistic to cruisers. The politics are pretty wacky.

The Chesapeake is hot, humid and buggy a third of the year. You can sail and hike, and sort of climb. The water is murky. Lots of gunkholing, but they're kind of boring. Waterfront property is still relatively inexpensive. But, the beautiful Maine coast and the Canadian Maritimes are a short sail away. We presently have divided government, so the politics are not too wacky.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:18   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
My wife and I grew up in Seattle. We sailed away as young adults, but go back for a month or two every other year. We have lived and sailed on the east coast of Florida (Jacksonville), and we live on the Chesapeake now.

The PNW is wet, but not really cold, and you do see the sun, in the summers, for a bit. You can sail, dive, hike, climb, ski (our hobbies) and so much more, all within an hour or less of Seattle. The Puget Sound and coast to Alaska are beautiful. For the most part it's really just housing that's really expensive. The politics are pretty wacky.

We found Florida to be hot and humid half the year. You can boat. The Keys were underwhelming, but you can go to the Bahamas. Florida is often antagonistic to cruisers. The politics are pretty wacky.

The Chesapeake is hot, humid and buggy a third of the year. You can sail and hike, and sort of climb. The water is murky. Lots of gunkholing, but they're kind of boring. Waterfront property is still relatively inexpensive. But, the beautiful Maine coast and the Canadian Maritimes are a short sail away. We presently have divided government, so the politics are not too wacky.
Wacky Politics?
Funny!
This always depends on personal choice.
Politically, a Great Place for exchange of ideas.
We Aint Texas!!!
Boatyarddog

Tags
Advice, family