Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 11:32   #16

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Advise & Recommendations: 42'-50' Cruiser

We have a Hunter 42 passage, here are a few of the reasons we picked this boat:

Center Cockpit
Center line Aft berth = don't have to crawl over one another to use the restroom
Shower\tub in aft head
2 heads
nice galley
Fridge & Freezer
Sloop rigged
4'8" draft
Very little teak on the exterior so less maintenance
Spare Parts are easily available

One downside is our air draft is 60' but I don't like the ICW anyway so it hasn't been an issue yet.

We've lived aboard since Dec of 2017 and haven't second guessed our decision to go with this boat.

Of course you may look at it and think we are crazy for the choices we made, but to each there own.

Good luck!
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 11:49   #17

Boat: Hunter passage42

I have the same model. I agree...great boat. Almost perfect. What else could you want. Mine is a bit older 1990. Added the staysail which gives more options.
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 11:51   #18

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Dufour 12000 CT if you can find one?

Neighbors scored a Beneteau 510 duel helm cheap, cost them as much as they paid for yacht in yard fees/contractors fixing major issues and they’re still under $50K on market bearing six digit yacht...gossip is they’re gonna flip it when they say they’re gonna cruise?

Dufour 12000 CT better investment and boat for your desires/intentions IMO...
I saw one in Myers when I got to Florida I missed out on, people who bought it listed it 14mo later selling it for what they paid and of course I missed it again...little outta my budget to maintain properly so no kicking rocks here...I have the boat I want, happy as I can be.

Come to Florida boat shopping in apr may jun July...mega quality boats cheap much like shopping NY/NJ/RI/MA in dead of winter...off season shopping and inconvenience or personal problems of sellers make for great boat deals...
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 11:55   #19

Boat: Stevens 47

I looked at yacht world, and there's what appears to be a nice Stevens 50 listed. Here's the link: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/stevens-s-s-50-3100100/?refSource=enhanced%20listing

Have a look!
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 12:52   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy Seas View Post

Again, thanks so much. I look forward to your thoughts and feedback.
Have a great day, hopefully on the water in warm weather.

///
https://www.yachtworld.com/advanced-boat-search/

shop till you drop
Old 21-02-2019, 12:58   #21

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you go center cockpit look hard at the size. I had a CSY44 and I was absolutely spoiled by the room. All CC boats are not created equal. Some CC can be pretty skinny.

I switched to aft cockpit two helms and we love it. Not that we didn't love the CSY. It was heavy and stable and could sail relatively fast 7-8 knots. Just depends on the wind. We did not like the "walkover"aspect or split cabins.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:24   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

gulfstar 50 -- look for a book by Jon Kretschmer on sailboats - cant remember the title but her review 10 boats he would take around the world and has some good insights.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:31   #23

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
gulfstar 50 -- look for a book by Jon Kretschmer on sailboats - cant remember the title but his review 10 boats he would take around the world and has some good insights.
Kretschmer's book is "To Sail a Serious Ocean". Yep, its a goodie and does have a good discussion about what makes a good water sailing">blue water sailing vessel along with specific recommendations.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:53   #24

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner

My wife and I live on our 52 ft schooner but will probably start listing it in the fall. Cruising systems and equipment all work fine. All sails roller furl (main is electric) from the cockpit with total enclosure. 30 tons, seaworthy. Vast assortment of gear. Vessel has sailed to the Med, then back to the Carib. Great offshore. Great master stateroom. Draft is 6.5, full keel, and air draft is 65. Built in ‘83, but she’ll meet your desires and more. Too much to list here, but she’s ready to go. And the 100k you save on your budget will leave you with a nice cruising fund. For more info email gwbull@gmail.com.
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 16:05   #25

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
gulfstar 50 -- look for a book by Jon Kretschmer on sailboats - cant remember the title but her review 10 boats he would take around the world and has some good insights.

Last built in 81.. most of the ones I looked at were pretty tired.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 16:11   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

If your willing to go a little older these were built till 1985 to 1987. Good fast boat, very stable, a pleasure to sail. Cocktails for 12 dinner for 8 ( tight). Mine only sleeps 2.

You could not lay the hull up for what they are asking for this boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...nced%20listing
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 19:04   #27

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Do a Yacht World. com search
put in what you require and see the choices.
Best of luck
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 05:54   #28

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by degouwb View Post
I have the same model. I agree...great boat. Almost perfect. What else could you want. Mine is a bit older 1990. Added the staysail which gives more options.
Mine is a 1990 as well, how do you like the Staysail? I've considered adding it and a third reefing point to help in heavy winds, but honestly I'm a live aboard if the winds are too high, I wait. Not like I have to sail to a schedule.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 06:58   #29

regarding the Hunter 42...a friend, his wife, and baby lived on one for a year. They loved it. I went over several times for dinner, and fully agree with you - great live-aboard layout. To your point about waiting for weather, is the reason I'm looking for something with a more moderate displacement. They never took her off the Chesapeake.

I've been watching for Gulfstar 50s - seen them pop up a lot in my searches for good family cruiser. A few interesting ones on yachtworld.

I'm only trying to stay newer than '99 in hopes of keeping replacement/maintenance costs down for the first 1-2 years. Please correct me if my train of thought is wrong.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and preferences on boats...believe me, I've been on yachtworld for some time, and ready to get off it and onto the water. Thanks again.
Froggy Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 12:33   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41

As far as I'm concerned, with some exceptions, the older (quality) boats were built better. As long as they're well maintained, age shouldn't be that much of an issue. Mark it as 'tested' and issues resolved. As an example, there was a brand new <<well known and popular brand>> in our harbour a few summers ago, mid to high 40's size range, and the owner had more issues with the boat than I've had in the 8 years I've owned mine. It's an 82 model and she's far from tired. Maybe I'm the one that's tired. I've currently got two boats, so maintenance takes more than a little of my time. I should probably let the Sceptre go and downsize to the smaller (and even older) boat. Been thinking about that for a few years now but just can't commit myself to posting an ad.
bobfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, men