Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2020, 07:07   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Affordable storage ashore north of 41° North US east coast.

I leave my boat ashore on the US east coast each year from 1st June to october and return home to Scotland for hurricane season. Up till now Deltaville has been ok with my insurers. Now they say I must get above 41° North for hurricane season to get named wind storm coverage.

I do not have a problem going further north, but I am struggling to find a reasonably priced yard. I do not need anything fancy, just a cradle and lift out for 41ft Hans Christian.

I can go anywhere, North of 41°, including Canada, does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 07:53   #2

Re: Affordable storage ashore north of 41° North US east coast.

in my area USA MARINA is a small diy yard that can handle your boat... best prices in the area.. it is about 20 miles up the Hudson river on the west side... you will have to come in at high tide for deep draft... they have a number of 40 to 45 benes and such... (845) 429 0100... Nick is the manager...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 12:39   #3

Thank you for that I will look into it.
Old 19-04-2020, 09:30   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Sulair,

Come up to Maine. We have many small yards who will help you with any service you want and you can have some beautiful cruising before and after. I like the Rockland area because of good yards and reasonably easy access to shore transportation.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 10:48   #5

Sounds like a plan, I will look at storage rates, thank you.
Old 19-04-2020, 11:26   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I would like to add that the reason you are not getting a lot of responses because you asked for something cheap and above 41st latitude.

Those two things are mutually exclusive. LOL
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 11:44   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Nova Scotia is likely to be much cheaper than in the US but it further to go of course. There are several in the Mahone Bay/Lunenberg/Chester area. You could make arrangements there with a fallback in the US if the Canadian border is still closed. There are direct flights from Halifax to London.
Old 19-04-2020, 12:40   #8

Thanks for the ideas AiniA, i would love to sail NS and NF, so will take alook.

I know sunking, kept boat in deltaville last year $125/ month at DYC, fantastic people and yard. Curses to my insurance company, i am looking at a change to another company too!
Old 21-04-2020, 11:24   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Thanks for the ideas AiniA, i would love to sail NS and NF, so will take alook.

I know sunking, kept boat in deltaville last year $125/ month at DYC, fantastic people and yard. Curses to my insurance company, i am looking at a change to another company too!
We have only done the south coast of Newfoundland as far as St Pierre but it is an incredible cruising ground. We never found anything more interesting in a circumnavigation. Since you are from Scotland you would not find the 'modest' temperatures a problem.
Old 21-04-2020, 11:45   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
I leave my boat ashore on the US east coast each year from 1st June to october and return home to Scotland for hurricane season. Up till now Deltaville has been ok with my insurers. Now they say I must get above 41° North for hurricane season to get named wind storm coverage.

I do not have a problem going further north, but I am struggling to find a reasonably priced yard. I do not need anything fancy, just a cradle and lift out for 41ft Hans Christian.

I can go anywhere, North of 41°, including Canada, does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest and best organized place on the east coast of Canada is Souris, PEI.
It's a commercial and fishing port with a small marina and a yard for boat storage. Coming from the Atlantic (south), take the Canso canal. Canso lock is free and managed by CCG.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...!4d-62.2518341

Marina web site (there's a harbor webcam on the home page):

https://www.shai.ca/harbour-authority/marina/

Send an email to Eric Gallant, he is the manager of the marina and a very nice guy. He will help to organize everything.

Good luck.
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 12:54   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

If I were looking that far North, I'd consider Moose Island Maine in Eastport, ME. When we were there in 2016, there were a number of cruisers still in the yard doing work on their boats, and we were told that others had been there for the winter. I didn't get a quote on the seasonal storage rates, but apparently they were reasonable enough that cruisers came from all over.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 13:04   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Sounds like you need to look for a new insurance carrier instead of a new boatyard!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 13:47   #13

Thanks for all the ideas, I have changed company and will return to Deltaville which I rate highly. The thought of coming out of the new york/ boston area in mid December and heading down south is not that appetising.

Makes you wonder if the underwriters really know what they are doing, dodge the hurricanes then go out in the north atlantic in mid December/january and play frogger with the winter storms! Round cape May/ Hatteras

Thanks Scargo for the souris recomendation, sounds like my kind of place when I get up to NS NF after the virus levels off in a year or so!
Old 21-04-2020, 14:32   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'd get a new insurer and stay in the Chesapeake Bay. Anything in the northern half of the Chesapeake seems safe to me. A good New England noreaster is just as strong as an inland huricane. And you will be out of the water.

Tags
east coast, storage