Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 09:13   #1

Boat: Cornado 25
AICW Closed at MM 579.9 Causton Bluff Bridge

Causton Bluff dual bascule is out of service and in the closed position until at least Monday Nov 28, 2016. Causton Bluff Bascules are old, cranky and have a local rep for breaking down. Delay could be long depending on issues.

Alt route for vessels in excess of the 21′ clearance. (Southbound):

At “Fields Cut” / Savannah River Junction (R-50) proceed East along the Savannah River (outbound). Be aware this is a high traffic, large ship channel.

Follow the marker chain out through Tybee Roads Inlet. After clearing G-3 proceed SSW aproximately 9 miles to 31 53.771N 80 52.434 W.

Proceed West to Wassaw Sound Inlet markers R-10 / G-9. Be aware this entrance is shoal to the north up to 3 miles out. It is however regularly used by large (up to 250′) yachts traveling to TBI yard in Thunderbolt. Excellent water after you enter the marked channel.

Proceed along marker chain up the South side of the sound and into the Willmington River. Proceed North to ICW junction at Skidaway River (R-40) or continue on to Thunderbolt.

Used the Wassaw Sound channel for years while I lived on Turner Creek with boats drawing 6′-7′ without a problem. As an area of 7′-8′ tides best to cross bar at high tide, settled weather and good daylight. Plan on burning a full day as it’s a round and about way but may be worth it depending on time for bridge repairs.
Old 26-11-2016, 20:39   #2

Boat: 1968 Pearson P35
Re: AICW Closed at MM 579.9 Causton Bluff Bridge

Went into wassaw sound inlet early morning(3:30 a.m.) after getting pounded by 12-14 ft seas on our way to Fenandina Beach earlier this summer. Breakers to the north on your way in and very sketchy with big following seas. Made it in and threw the hook once out of the wind and slept in the cockpit waking up covered in salt. What a crazy ride it was but it can be done. It was our first time using that inlet and I must say I wouldn't want to do it again I those conditions.Sitting in Key West enjoying the warmth and beautiful weather now in the mooring field!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mayhemdog75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw