Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2020, 15:08   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Albany NY to Lake Michigan recommendations?

The Trent-Severn system aims to maintain a minimum 6' depth throughout the buoyed channels. But if you draft is 5' or more they ask that you check with the office before setting off. There is a max. vertical hight of 22'.

Some years they struggle with maintaining depths, and you definitely need to keep to the sometimes tight buoyed channels. But the watershed has been quite soggy these last few years, so I doubt if their are any special problems.
Old 12-04-2020, 15:12   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Marinas and boat launches may remain open only if they are for government or essential commercial operations. They are no longer permitted to operate for recreational vessels.

This is the bit that has me anxiously waiting for further news from my marina. It's a bit unclear if that means they can only support the fishing boats, CBP boats, TowBoatUS, DEC boats, etc. that are there, or if because they support those, they can operate in general. I can make it a while from the start of the season before needing any kind of services, but of course, that's all dependent on whether or not they're allowed to put the boat in the water...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 16:05   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

In the summer you can do it in under 2 weeks on a smaller boat. Long days
Old 12-04-2020, 17:35   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 345

I've been through the Erie canal three times in my Beneteau first 345 5.2 draft. It's an easy trip and can be done in 5 days. But why, there are lots of nice little towns and places to stop and enjoy. That said the Trent-Severn is just as great a trip and also not to be missed. I don't relish crossing Lake Ontario without a mast and sails though on a windless window it should be doable. Oswego Tonawanda,and Buffalo you can step the mast as well as marinas in Canada but don't know those ones.
I would suggest delaying until after Covid has passed. Canada and the United States will be on totally different and unique schedules for reopening based on their own needs. My guess is that Canada won't even think about reopening marinas until mid summer. I hope I'm wrong. Lake Erie has lots to offer, when passing Windsor Ontario get in touch and I'll adopt you for a few days. Under the Blue Water bridge stay close enough to the Canadian shore you can almost jump to land. Don't miss the North Channel, fantastic cruising area.
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 14:39   #35

Michigan marinas are closed. Most boating is prohibited.

Consider trucking it home and then only to a place where you are permitted to access it. Not allowed to visit my boat just off Lake Michigan in Boyne City on Lake Charlevoix.

Sounds like a fun trip for another time.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 16:19   #36

Boat: Hunter, 42 Passage, 42.5

4/9/2020: my marina on the finger lakes statement: "We have been instructed by the NYSDL, that there have been some modifications to the executive orders by the governor of NY.
While we are essential business, however we cannot do nonessential work, such as recreational vessel repairs or launches.
Also, boating for recreational reasons is considered nonessential activity, therefore our boat ramp is now closed until April 30th or until the orders are rescinded or changed."

Also Lady K sailing on youtube did a series on navigating the erie canal 2019 Albany to Buffalo. I am sure there are others.
Sorry AboatThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:17   #37

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Thanks to everyone who's posted. I appreciate your comments/advice.

Again, this trip will only take place if current conditions ease considerably and permit it to be done safely. One of my reasons for posting is to determine how late in the season I could safely make such a trip. I think it is safe/conservative to say I would have to be underway no later than the 1st week in August. I would naturally prefer to take more time.

I will be planning the trip as if I am doing it single-handed. That means marina hopping and layovers. As this is a 'bucket-list' item I will try and stretch it out as much as I can. Extended runs would only be made if conditions permit. I will not be taking chances weather-wise (no need to scare the crew, or myself) and will keep night sailing to a minimum - no overnight runs.

There was mention of getting a boat in my area, and not doing this at all. Unfortunately, most of what is for sale here locally are 'cookie-cutter' boats: Hunters, Catalinas, S-2's, etc. and don't really appeal to me. I like "out of the ordinary" (no wooden boats, please); the selection back east is bigger than it is here.

But the biggest attraction/reason? Just doing it, and giving my crew (grandchildren) something to remember.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:29   #38

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you would like crew, I'd be happy to join you for a day or week or whatever. I'm experienced, friendly, and lots of local knowledge. I'm in Kingston (Lake Ontario, east end). You could pick me up near Kingston, and drop me off wherever I can get bus or train home. Maybe meet in Oswego to help put up the mast? No charge. No commitment. No problems. Just looking for adventure. PM me when the lockdown is over if you're interested.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 05:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
I will be planning the trip as if I am doing it single-handed.
How familiar are you handling the boat?

The canal systems require lots of close quarters maneuvering. Plus you are docking at lots of unfamiliar marinas.

Not saying it can't be done single handed but it's not something to be taken lightly. There were times it was challenging with two of us on a boat that handles well in close quarters and we were very familiar with handling. (I believe that rules out the Welland Canal route as I believe they require line handlers)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 05:23   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
(I believe that rules out the Welland Canal route as I believe they require line handlers)

Minimum crew for the Welland is 3 when going up (Ontario to Erie), 2 when going down (Erie to Ontario). Expectation when going up is 1 at the helm, 2 on lines.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 05:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
How familiar are you handling the boat?

The canal systems require lots of close quarters maneuvering. Plus you are docking at lots of unfamiliar marinas.

Not saying it can't be done single handed but it's not something to be taken lightly. There were times it was challenging with two of us on a boat that handles well in close quarters and we were very familiar with handling. (I believe that rules out the Welland Canal route as I believe they require line handlers)
Indeed. I don't think the Trent-Severn has a minimum crew number (one, I suppose ), but the Welland certainly does. Last I checked it was two to come down and three to go up.
Old 15-04-2020, 20:56   #42

Boat: S2 9.1

Hi Gary, the Erie has 35 locks and takes at least 7-10 days for most people to get through it, can take longer. Personally I would not do it single handed, one crew would be nice. I have always wanted to do it.

Once through there at Buffalo go to Port Colborne Marina to step your mast, very accommodating and inexpensive.

I much prefer the Northern shore, Long Point is a pain, but then I am Canadian and more familiar with it.

The South shore has more cities to find a marina. Personally I would do one over night and make it a 2-3 day trip. But stopping every night and with some weather issues it could take 5-7 days.

Then the Detroit river Lake St Clair and then the St Clair River will take about 3 Days. Huron, by far the nicest lake on this planet, is a piece of cake, and then you are just about home.

I will PM you so you have my contact if you wish. Lots of local knowledge and always looking for a ride.

Good Luck
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 06:47   #43

Boat: Jeanneau SO 440

Once the travel restrictions are lifted, you'll have a great trip. My wife and I did the full Erie Canal, and documented lessons learned here - https://youtu.be/TWJ962AgU4c. There's alot of character in the small towns you will see along the way. As others have pointed out, it would be very physically challenging doing it solo. We continued on west on Lake Erie, and the Detroit/St Clair Rivers. It is beautiful cruising in Georgian Bay, and even more in the Northern Channel. We did a video series on 'Sailing into the American Heartland', starting here: https://youtu.be/eDwuBY70vZA. We didn't do the Trent/Severn, but I can tell you the Welland canal is a tough one. I can second others suggestions of going all the way on the Erie canal to Tonawanda/Buffalo, instead. You are right to put this kind of trip on your bucket list - it was an incredible experience for us. Good luck!
tgrimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 07:11   #44

Boat: Shannon 38

I have sailed the lakes for 40 years, took a C & C 61 Draft 9' draft from Chicago to Miami and looked taking a boat from Lake Erie to Lake Superior a couple years ago. A couple of reflections:

1) Marinas in Michigan are currently closed due to the coronavirus

2) Check on the barge canal, I'm not sure if it's open. It's a pretty straightforward trip. We went from stepped the mast in Buffalo went to Troy and down the Hudson. The advantage in going through the barge canal is you don't have to go into Canada.

3) going upstream in the spring through the Detroit River and Black River is challenging. There is a strong (like 5 kn in some places) current running north to south. It can be done if you search for eddys & areas where the current is less, and of course, there's always the freighters, etc. that shall have to dodge. The current calms down in the summer.

4) Sailing Lake Erie / Lake Michigan is cold early in the year. I sailed from Alpena north to Lake Superior in June and the lake temperature never got above 38°. The water warms up later in the year to a thermal cline of around 10 feet but gets cold again if the wind stirs it up and the temperature can drop significantly quickly. Low water temperature means cold air temperature, and we went from T-shirts and shorts to longjohns in a matter of minutes. Lake Superior is worse.

5) Warm air masses in the spring hitting cold water means fog. We ran with radar the entire way.

This year is very marginal with Covid19, and be sure you check for open Marina's and closed waterways. The spacing for safe harbors around Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac are pretty sparse. Gets better in Green Bay, with a number of harbors and great resturants on the Door Peninsula.

I would point out that I would NOT do this single handed. The canals are a handful, and usually require at least 2 on the boat. Sailing single handed through the Detroit River and Black River is NOT recommended single handed. But then again, I am a conservative sailor having learned the hard way over the years.
Flightdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 07:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrimmett View Post
Once the travel restrictions are lifted, you'll have a great trip. My wife and I did the full Erie Canal, and documented lessons learned here - https://youtu.be/TWJ962AgU4c. There's alot of character in the small towns you will see along the way. As others have pointed out, it would be very physically challenging doing it solo. We continued on west on Lake Erie, and the Detroit/St Clair Rivers. It is beautiful cruising in Georgian Bay, and even more in the Northern Channel. We did a video series on 'Sailing into the American Heartland', starting here: https://youtu.be/eDwuBY70vZA. We didn't do the Trent/Severn, but I can tell you the Welland canal is a tough one. I can second others suggestions of going all the way on the Erie canal to Tonawanda/Buffalo, instead. You are right to put this kind of trip on your bucket list - it was an incredible experience for us. Good luck!

Completely agree. Although I just gotta point out, Georgian Bay and the North Channel is the Canadian Heartland .

I think the hardest part of the Welland is that you have to do it in one go. Once you start, there's no stopping. And you're not the master of your schedule. It can take 10 to 14 hours to run the seven locks. When I came through we started mid afternoon, so didn't finish till the wee hours of the morning. It was tiring, but not that hard.

A couple of things to note too with the Welland. It is currently closed to all recreational traffic due to Covid-19 restrictions. There is no schedule for it to reopen, but hopefully it will soonish.

But the other big recent change is that they now alternate days for upbound and downbound recreational traffic. And you must be all set to go by 0900. No more arriving at any time and getting put through as possible. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday is now for upbound traffic, and Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday is for downbound.

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/rec...kage-schedule/

Tags
men