Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 08:52   #46

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: Alternatives to IP 38

One only needs to hang out in Vero Beach for a while and see the so called Water boats">blue water boats, IPs included, limp in from Gulf Stream encounters during the Salty Dawg rally from VA to the Virgins. Have seen dismastings, sails blown out, and crew injuries.

It is all about weather and sea conditions. If prudent and patient, believe most boats will take more than the crew can. My Gulf Star Sailmaster (who many will disparage) has been to Trinidad and back with no issues.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:52   #47

The trouble, as you have already figured out, is that alternatives are pretty aged
at this point.
Because I am used to a long keel and skeg hung rudder, I find maneuvering that type logical and good. Unless you want a fin and spade, you're gonna have to live with it.

Hallberg Rassy, Pacific Seacraft (kinda old school on waterline, smaller than their size indicates?), Passport, Hylas ... anything well built with a long keel and skeg or attached rudder gets you there.

Not sure how I feel about the Caliber, I inspected one for friends who were considering it many years ago. It seems a step up from the typical Catalina, Beneteau etc. But still seemed a bit light built. But... how much is enough? That boat if you pounded on the V Berth hull sides the whole boat seemed to rattle and flex. Maybe most boats would be that way with no wood liner though? But it reminded me of how a Catalina 42 pounded up there going into medium chop at 15 knots of wind....

But sugar scoops are rare and with a few exceptions puts you into coastal boat designs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:40   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK, well many will know I will also recommend this one, or at least this model if not this particular boat But if I win the lottery....
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8261404/

I think most will agree this Rhodes design will check off "seakindly" and "seaworthy" and a good performer for her vintage. To my mind her dimensions are right but by modern standards she's a 32' boat in a 41 foot body. And as far as wet goes, with the narrow hull, when she's heeled over at 15 or 20 degrees, just sit on the leeward side and the spray just goes right over yer head.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:48   #49

That IP38 is a great choice if you are actually going to cruise...cutter rig is very useful off shore. Add a furling Code 0 for the doldrums. I use an asym but its getting to be a pita as I get older. No need for storm sail.

If you ever need to point higher than a close reach you're doing it wrong.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:06   #50

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK, well many will know I will also recommend this one, or at least this model if not this particular boat But if I win the lottery....
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8261404/
Jeepers, be still my heart.
Phillip Rhodes did know a thing or three about designing a real yacht.
His motorsailors aren't too shabby either.
Edit, leave it to the people at Hinckley to do a gorgeous interior, it would make Herreshoff proud.
Old 09-03-2023, 21:51   #51

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
IPs are sailing slugs and I see no reason to settle for a boat that will not sail well. IPs are motor sailors. You will never go anywhere under sail in that boat.
"yOu wIll NeVeR gO aNyWhERe uNdEeR sAiL iN tHat bOaT"

Hahaha......

I have seen a lot of haters make false claims about the IPs. This one has to be a winner though.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 22:50   #52

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I think that the IP38 gets some undeserved bad press.
If you peruse the numbers/ratios you'll see that they're not bad, it's a decent little ship for what its name suggests.
A little "packet" to haul all her people and stuff, (or trading goods,) reaching back and forth thru the islands and able to get into places where "There's lots of water Mon, just thin".
Ok, yes, she lacks some salient keel for sailing close/hard on the wind.
But the sticky spot that most affects her sailing can be remedied by a good fiberglass wizard.
It's that huge generator of drag that is caused by the vertical acreage of emptiness between the keel and the rudder post.
A wizard can fill-in with high density foam and glass both above and below the prop, blending in the glasswork to the existing hull to make a nice/proper aperture that tapers to meet the rudder post.
It will cure a failing of the original design that ought not to have been.
Better handling and greater speed on all points of sail guaranteed.
Old 10-04-2023, 18:38   #53

Boat: B423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
I’ve spent a lot of time rummaging through the world’s sea chest of sailboats, and am hoping for some experienced thoughts before buying my forever boat this year. I’ve waited almost 12 years. Shopping budget stops at $180,000.
Sailing & refit cash have already been provided for. The expectation is serious sailing: Maine to Caribbeans for a couple years; Caribbeans to Pacific Northwest; Pacific; South America; Cape Horn; Mediterranean; UK; Nordic region; back to Maine.

The basic criteria below, lands me on a post-1996 38’ Island Packet (I want the sugarscoop). *Chainplate issues already addressed.

1. Bluewater.
2. Thin water.
3. Full fiberglass build, no rot.
4. Solo sailor setup.
5. 38’ as resale “sweetspot,” plus (1,2,&3).
6. Sea kindly, comes into it’s own at sea, tracks well, and becomes a solid performer in a storm. (boat is better than the sailor).

I pause at a few issues:
1. Not so good in light air, doesn’t point well.
2. Considered slow (as a problem).
3. Tough to maneuver in tight quarters.
4. No doghouse, no pilothouse.

As I read comments about IP’s (both love & hate), I don’t typically see pound-for-pound replacement alternatives…

Would love to hear your thoughts on better boats in the same class of wallet, that don’t turn into project boats.

Thanks in advance!
So, are you moving forward at all? Is your expectation still "serious sailing" Have you done any "serious sailing" recently?

Since you mentioned IPs. You might look at the 350. I know the waterline is not the same as the 38, but IP started to use 316 stainless on the chain plates sometime in 96/97. If you can find a 99+ up north or in fresh water you might be ok on the aluminum tanks and chain plates for some time to come.

You could probably negotiate one down to 115k-120k in good shape. Maybe then put 20-30k in to make it cruise ready. You'd be under budget and off to a great start.

Though if you ask me you could also get something like a Catalina 310 and take it over to the Bahamas for a season. See how it goes before you do any "serious sailing" :-).
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 12:57   #54

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Papasail, you might enjoy this video review of an IP380. The 380 and 370 are my favorite IP models.
I send you a private message regarding your plans.

https://youtu.be/k3jxccus-b0
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote