Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 00:16   #16

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

The "A" in ARC stands for Atlantic, not Australia.

Might want to spend a bit of time on Google Earth before you lay in a course.

By the way, "A" also stands for those who can't ever pass up the opportunity to bash Hunters, Catalinas, or any other boat for that matter.
The rally on World Cruising Club website is called World ARC, Round the World Rally.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 00:18   #17

Boat: Hunter 44DS
On the world cruising club website the rally is called the world ARC Round the World Rally
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 00:57   #18

Re: Am I dreaming or can this be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I would not limit myself to a Hunter or Catalina. There are lots of boat that would be great for the trip.

If I was taking a boat to Australia, the first thing I would do is look at what is selling well in Australia. I would import a yacht that had easy and excellent resale in Oz. Some boats are hard to sell, and I would be sure that I was taking a boat to Oz that I could sell without taking a big hit. Chances are that this will not be your last boat. So plan ahead and import something that sells well.
Nothing is selling in Aus at the moment, so anyone thinking of making a quick buck out of an import would do be wise to think again, but i see the OP has no plans in that respect....
As others have said, don't limit yourself to just looking at Hunters or Catalinas, with your budget you can afford to be a bit more choosy....

Event Information for World Cruising Club: ARC
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 01:38   #19

Boat: L 34
Re: Am I dreaming or can this be done

A very do-able adventure, I have done it twice. My only comment would be ; Do you really want to join up with a huge cruising contingent? Once you start cruising you will meet all sorts of friends going your way and there is no need to restrict yourself to what the crowd is doing and when and where. Be free. ! and independant.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:34   #20

Re: Am I Dreaming or Can This Be Done

Akapeterc,

If you decide to come to Fort Lauderdale, feel free to reach out to me. I'll be happy to point you in the right direction for all the services you might need to prep a boat for such a trip. A year ago, I rented my dock to a boat for year or so, that left here and sailed to Tahiti. There are a number of places you can live on your boat in a safe are while you commission/refit.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:52   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc
Why the bull remark??
Beacause W32s win all the Transatlantic races.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Dreaming or Can This Be Done

No Sweat mate...
With your budget I'd go for this... or similar...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:56   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Thanks for the comments so far I am taking them all on board

Get a boat that YOU like and not 1 that some unknown internet forum expert says (even though you asked a bunch of "experts"). Once you find the model search for opinions of OWNERS of it to find more out about it. Ignore opinions from internet forum experts about a boat model they have never been on but read some 4th person rumor about on an internet forum somewhere by someone they didn't even know.

By the way 'A' also is a part of ones body that everyone has to go along with this opinion.
Old 26-01-2012, 04:01   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Dreaming or Can This Be Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Get a boat that YOU like and not 1 that some unknown internet forum expert says (even though you asked a bunch of "experts"). Once you find the model search for opinions of OWNERS of it to find more out about it. Ignore opinions from internet forum experts about a boat model they have never been on but read some 4th person rumor about on an internet forum somewhere by someone they didn't even know.

By the way 'A' also is a part of ones body that everyone has to go along with this opinion.
OOOOHHHH..... Don... love it when you get mad....

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 04:04   #25

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I am planing on going to the USA in July 2013, purchasing a yacht and joining the 2014 ARC world rally back to Australia.

I have a budget of $190k so I am looking at purchasing a yacht for $150K and allowing $40K to spend on setting up the yacht ready for a trip across the pacific. I assume I will need a water maker, new rigging & nav gear.

I plan to purchase in Florida which gives me 6 months to purchase, setup and sail down to St Lucia.

I plan on living aboard with my teenage foster child. ( I will be 55 ) I have been thinking of purchasing a Hunter 45 or perhaps a Catalina 42. Do you think this is all doable or am I dreaming.

I am going to Florida this July 2012 for a holiday and allowing a few days in Miami to scout out the area. Has anyone also got any ideas on who would be best to suss out on this scouting trip eg: brokers & surveyors. Thanks for any advice
Welcome to another Lake Macquarie member! Yes you are dreamimg and yes it can be done, in fact your budget and timetable seem quite realistic.

However I would caution you to check with the Australian authorities as to exactly what they will charge you so that you are budgetting for it. My understanding is that they will levie the GST on an estimated "transport charge" even though you are sailing the boat. If they know that you have professional crew aboard, the cost of that will be assessed for GST and if they know you have paid to be part of the ARC they may even assess the fees paid for that when calculating GST.
Old 26-01-2012, 04:22   #26
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm not mad. But that is just my opinion as an internet forum expert!
Old 26-01-2012, 04:24   #27

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Those Hunter owners sure are a touchy bunch.
Old 26-01-2012, 04:30   #28
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Those Hunter owners sure are a touchy bunch.

You say this like it is a bad thing. I like being touched as much as most other people.

the rest of you must be getting jealous because no one wants to touch or be touched by you
Old 26-01-2012, 05:00   #29

The OP first off is very fortunate to be living in Oz, I would trade a rarely used body part to live there. The AUS dollar is stronger than the USD. A double envious position.

I am not a sailor, nor do I own a sailboat, my background tend to be somewhat sideways in marine mechanics. But its been my goal to have a liveaboard situation for the last three or more years now.

His dollars would go very far indeed in Florida, much further than any state though I would suggest taking a look at boat sales in Hawaii, I have, its not as big as the mainland but the economy is stumbling there.Be at the right place at the right time and it could work out very well, I have personally seen deals where owners have to sell because they need to relocate, so I have seen a fair amount of boats suddenly being put up for sale.

The next prime area is the San Fransisco bay area, I saw a Craigslist ad for a decent sail boat that was I think 31', the owner was asking $1500, it was worth as far as I could tell at least $7,000.

I would especially love to do what he is doing but me being in Alaska makes it difficult, any boat up here is priced too high, but if I head down around Puget Sound then I can shop, but I would try looking in Hawaii first. Boats there are usually kept up better for distance sailing.

I wish the OP well, if I travel to OZ it will be our next winter and on a six month Visa. Things in America are nearly getting out of hand, at least in Alaska we are not affected too much, I still have a good job though its seasonal.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:15   #30

Boat: Contest 36S

In EU a good boat size for a crossing would perhaps be slightly below the 46-47 mark. A 40-43 foot boat can still be handled by a shothanded crew in a blow, even if you dont have schwarzenegger muscles. Also having a smaller and simpler boat will save you money in the long run.

Als in all this budget is very much doable. Set the requirements for the boat and choose from there. We went down from 47Ft to 36Ft and are happy with that size.

I'd go for a boat which is well know in the area where Id spend most of the time, so an Island packet for US, Hallberg or the dutch Contest in Europe. CLueless what a polular brand in AUS is.

Kindest,

Sjoerd
sjoerdm is offline   Reply With Quote