Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2022, 12:18   #46

Re: An electric pump instead of the Jabsco impeller??

I opened my seawater pump this morning. The impeller looked nearly new. I filled the voids with glycerin lubricant from the pharmacy, so it doesn't run dry the 1st go.

Glad I had a look.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 13:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
The pump ran dry, and all—I mean all, the vanes broke and tons of muck went first through the oil heat exchanger, then into the engine heat exchanger, then who knows where in the block. I even found a bit in the exhaust water jacket.

I am having a great deal of difficulty one the words after "...heat exchanger..." How can bits end up in those places?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 13:31   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
I opened my seawater pump this morning. The impeller looked nearly new. I filled the voids with glycerin lubricant from the pharmacy, so it doesn't run dry the 1st go.

Glad I had a look.
Take the hose off the outlet as well to check for obstructions. For older boats it’s a 50/50 bet something is stuck there.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 17:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Take the hose off the outlet as well to check for obstructions. For older boats it’s a 50/50 bet something is stuck there.
I took the pump off the engine to open it on the bench. Inlet & outlet were clear.

I busted a hose clamp putting it back on, so it was good to find that weak link and fix it.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 10:44   #50

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Here is a shot of all the broken impeller bits I found in the oil cooler, which is the first thing after the seawater pump outlet on my engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impellers.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	262821  
Old 14-08-2022, 10:54   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yeah, can't say I agree

Our mechanical pump on the Genset failed a couple of times a year - impeller
Blood and swearing was involved to repair.

Electric pump has been in 5 years, zero issues.
Same pump I have used in another application has many more years again on it.

Iwaki MD 30 clone on eBay for $140.
Yeah I did one on a home made diesel 12V gen set, but didnt long , was just worried about reliability, but it made the build much easier to do. But some factory Gen sets are known for spinning impellors, so I get it. I think they sit too high in the boat making pulling water or lack of prime an issue. ?

In 50 years of diesel boat engines I have spun an impellor twice I think; once I had the seacock closed, the other time the mechanic was working on the engine.

After clearing the impellor debris I put a nice little bronze sea strainer right after the pump output to end that problem. That engine was convenient to do it on though.

In that 50 years of boating I have probably replaced 8-10 electric water pumps of various sorts. Not to mention a diesel engine will run while sinking with the engine impellor pump up and until the seawater reaches the engine intake. Which is a nit I suppose....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 06:33   #52

Boat: Oyster 49

I have wondered about putting in a Y strainer to catch any broken vanes from the impeller on my Onan. This one has a little inspection window.
I have not yet got around to measuring the space
Here is one
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 07:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
I have wondered about putting in a Y strainer to catch any broken vanes from the impeller on my Onan. This one has a little inspection window.
I have not yet got around to measuring the space
Here is one
Seems it could work. I will say though, in industrial applications, I have seen grey PVC, even schedule 80 fittings, break from vibration.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 09:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I have just had to completely dismantle all the raw water system on my Perkins 4.236, due to the inlet getting clogged, which caused the Jabsco impeller to run dry, and shred all its vanes into the engine.
I want to replace it with a separate electrical pump, preferably a diaphragm type.
Has anyone done this, and if so, which pump is best?
Nothing good will come of this. The better idea is that you put a flow switch.

This will do.

Wire it up to an alarm

Then to stop your impeller ending up in the heat exchanger insert one of these immediately after the raw water pump.

Al your problems have disappeared.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 10:19   #55

Quote:
Here’s how to do that. The inner part I made from thin wall PVC pipe. The largest opening is smaller than the channels in the heat exchanger.

If you see impeller parts, you replace the impeller
Great idea. Might have to clean the bowl occasionally to maintain visibility.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 11:22   #56

Changing from a Jabsco direct driven pump to an electric/hydraulic/steam driven pump will not help if the inlet is blocked. I always fit a steam strainer downstream of the Jabsco to catch impeller bits. The mesh is coarse enough to cause little back pressure to the system.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 14:15   #57

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
I agree that an external electric fixed-output raw water pump is not an option.

I'm assuming that the OP's engine water temp alarm either was not working, he didn't hear it, or by the time the engine overheated, the impeller was toast.

A flow alarm is a good fix to this problem. Commercial one's are expensive, but goboatingnow might share his DIY design?
The built-in engine temp alarm on the engine control panel is sensing the fresh water temp INSIDE the engine. This temp will take a minute or more to rise hot enough to trigger the alarm, during which time the impeller has already burned up.
To get an almost instant alarm when the raw water flow stops:
Fit a "snap disc" temp switch on the external surface of your wet exhaust elbow just after the water injection point. These snap disc switches come in various temp ranges and are very cheap, around NZ$7. Get a normally open, 70 degree C disc. The disc is about 30mm in diameter. Make a simple mounting band to hold it tight against the wet exhaust elbow and put a bit of heat transfer grease under it. Connect the switch to a loud buzzer (12vt pizzo buzzers cost about NZ$4). Now, when the raw water stops flowing, no water is injected into the exhaust elbow, and within 10-15 seconds the elbow heats up to over 70 degrees (because uncooled hot exhaust is flowing through it), the switch closes and the buzzer says "no raw water shut engine down NOW".
I wouldn’t say an electric pump is not an option, I have spent over a decade working on engine systems with their manufacturers cooling pump removed and an electric one in place, even changing running pressures and Temperatures of the Engine to 135C + so it’s not a non starter but it does require some design and planning, but it’s possible - I am not recommending it though.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 14:20   #58

Quote:
Here’s how to do that. The inner part I made from thin wall PVC pipe. The largest opening is smaller than the channels in the heat exchanger.

If you see impeller parts, you replace the impeller
What did you use for the housing itself?
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 14:34   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
why not fit a simple raw water flow meter , I made up one from a few parts

I put an adjustable pressure switch immediately before the heat-exchanger. Switch is closed with static water head to outlet, open when there is flow pressure My outlet is about 3 ft above the h/e.

In answer to the OP, the reason that almost everyone uses a Jabsco type is that, assuming there is water available, it will self prime. Adding another thing to go wrong (electric motor) seems daft to me. I avoid electrics or electronics on primary systems, even the fuel enable solenoid. A stop solenoid is OK.

Personally, I wouldn't use a diaphragm pump. I suspect that they aren't intended, or expected, to run for long periods. You could put a centrifugal pump in, as long as it is below inlet water level, AND there is an automatic bleed system. The freshwater is, after all, circulated by a centrifugal one.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 14:48   #60

Boat: Cal 2-46

I have installed the Aqualarm. Brilliant. Extra easy to install.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric pump, jabsco, pump