Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 20:37   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Anchor chain vendor?

Hey y’all in the midst of our slow moving refit and it’s time to replace our entire rode. We think. Previous owner interlaced propylene line in the chain every 20 feet to mark it. Unfortunately the chain rusted in those areas especially the ones at the bottom of the pile. Not sure it is worth it to try and fix it, would have to cut out the bad links and piece it back together. Not even sure if that is possible or safe. Anyway just checking to see if anyone has a recommendation on a good place to buy a replacement preferably with free shipping. The boat is located in St Petersburg Fl.

As always Thanks in advance.
Will
Old 23-09-2019, 21:55   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Anchor chain vendor?

Back in 2015 we re-chained using the Italian Maggi stuff (they manufactures/sell in imperial and metric) which we bought off guy called Preston, based in Fort Lauderdale; we were impressed by Preston and the price and have subsequently been pleased with he chain too.
I can't remember Preston's Company's name but if you try googling 'Maggi Chain Fort Lauderdale' I'm sure you'll find some contact details,
Old 23-09-2019, 22:03   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

You can also try industrial chain suppliers. You would have to buy in barrel or half barrel quantities but the prices are much better. I have done that a couple of times with Acco, now Peerless. Go to their website and see if they have a dealer finder, usually by state or zip code.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 18:03   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

My local mooring company will sell me anchor chain. He buys a lot for the moorings. Some big stuff. A full truck load every year. His suppliers will sell him, and he passes on, anchor rode size quantities at much better pricing than normal retail.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 03:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
You can also try industrial chain suppliers. You would have to buy in barrel or half barrel quantities but the prices are much better. I have done that a couple of times with Acco, now Peerless. Go to their website and see if they have a dealer finder, usually by state or zip code.
So I tried that with Peerless and went through 5 people at several locations who all insisted I had to go through West Marine, their dealer, for a 1/2 barrel chain buy. So I think that route probably doesn't exist anymore. And you have to be careful with just buying general industrial galvanized chain that's not specifically listed as anchor chain as the link size tolerance often isn't sufficient for a gypsy.
I ended up going with Maggi as well, and while they're a bit of a shoestring operation in the U.S. and hard to reach initially, they are responsive once you get ahold of them and their pricing is very good. Haven't used the chain long enough for an opinion on longevity.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 06:37   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
So I tried that with Peerless and went through 5 people at several locations who all insisted I had to go through West Marine, their dealer, for a 1/2 barrel chain buy. So I think that route probably doesn't exist anymore. And you have to be careful with just buying general industrial galvanized chain that's not specifically listed as anchor chain as the link size tolerance often isn't sufficient for a gypsy.
I ended up going with Maggi as well, and while they're a bit of a shoestring operation in the U.S. and hard to reach initially, they are responsive once you get ahold of them and their pricing is very good. Haven't used the chain long enough for an opinion on longevity.
I am sorry to hear that. I did this with Acco dealers twice - once in Chicago and once in Annapolis. Both times with considerable savings compared to West Marine.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 21:45   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349

Here is one with free shipping: https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chai...lass_chain.htm
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor