Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 17:42   #31

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Anchor gone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, the average tide here is about 2' and yes, I'm sure the anchor is gone. I marked it on the chart plotter. There was a crab pot right at that point! -- with a line of 'em extending in both directions. Sick sense of humor, that crabber.

I'm female, and I'm not taking on a crabber by myself. I'm not leaving notes in traps. If he's professional, it's a serious crime here to disturb his pots.
If you can identify the boat by the number on the markers could you not look him up and ask nicely for your anchor back? It would be interesting to see his reaction.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:48   #32

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance

If you can identify the boat by the number on the markers could you not look him up and ask nicely for your anchor back? It would be interesting to see his reaction.
I guess you could say a friend of mine said they saw you pull up my anchor and I was hoping to get it back. Gives them a chance to be honest. Doesn't usually work though.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 07:00   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post

A guy in this area complained about s shrimp boat that keeps going through an anchorage where a number of sailboats are kept, with a big wake, rolling people's belongings about the boat.

Now sometimes when they go by, they throw food on his boat.

I'm not messing with them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 07:01   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I guess you could say a friend of mine said they saw you pull up my anchor and I was hoping to get it back. Gives them a chance to be honest. Doesn't usually work though.

I'm sure they looked around. It's gone, and I'm not going to challenge what can be some pretty tough and arrogant individuals around here over an anchor.

I'm going to set up a quick release.
Old 17-12-2011, 07:20   #35

Boat: grampian 26

Are we talking shrimpers or pirates here?
It seems we have lost the ability to be civil to one another and the world is a poorer place as a result.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 08:11   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Just a vent -- nothing to be done about it. I set an anchor today and COULD NOT get it up. Finally I tied a small fender to it and marked it on my GPS. I went back to my slip and called a friend, who came down to help me retrieve it.

It was only out there for TWO HOURS. What did we find? A new row of crab traps that hadn't been there earlier -- and the anchor was gone.

Bah humbug. May he (she) get nothing but coal!!!
Fisherman may have thought it was a recreational fishermans (illegal?) pot trying to take "his" spot or someone trying to lay a mooring to do the same. I think 50/50 that anchor is still there and simply the fender sliced off........worth a scuba dive.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 08:52   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the wakes of others make great anchor lifting tools. just stay on top of it until you are able to lift it on a winch and you shouldnt lose the anchor to others... takes time, but it works. i used that method of retrieval before i go tmy anual windlass......using a winch from stern isnt against the rules, btw-- have had to do that in my past with my smaller than 35 ft boats.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 09:46   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Are we talking shrimpers or pirates here?
It seems we have lost the ability to be civil to one another and the world is a poorer place as a result.

I think it was crabbers that took my anchor, since there were new crab pots that hadn't been there when I anchored, exactly where my anchor had been, but I also mentioned aggressive shrimpers who seem to not like sailboats very much.

I guess you could call it theft, but if you find a boat adrift you can take it, so ... it was just a colossal annoyance. I was sure I would get it back since such a short time span had gone by.
Old 17-12-2011, 09:48   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Fisherman may have thought it was a recreational fishermans (illegal?) pot trying to take "his" spot or someone trying to lay a mooring to do the same. I think 50/50 that anchor is still there and simply the fender sliced off........worth a scuba dive.

Heck, 8 ft of water it wouldn't even need a scuba. hmmmmm...

But I don't think they would have thought it was an illegal pot; it's crab season here and anyone can put them anywhere they want. In addition, it wasn't a crab buoy. It clearly was a boat fender. It didn't look anything like a crab pot.
Old 17-12-2011, 09:51   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the wakes of others make great anchor lifting tools. just stay on top of it until you are able to lift it on a winch and you shouldnt lose the anchor to others... takes time, but it works. i used that method of retrieval before i go tmy anual windlass......using a winch from stern isnt against the rules, btw-- have had to do that in my past with my smaller than 35 ft boats.....

There were no wakes and no waves. It was a weekday and NO ONE was out there. And, I don't have a forward winch. None on the mast. It would have had to go to a headsail winch. I tried to use it to heel the boat over a couple of weeks ago when I was slightly aground and wasn't strong enough to do it. Couldn't break it free with the winch. We managed to drive that one off because I had a second person with me to pull in the rode as we got close to it, but this day I was by myself.

Tags
anchor