Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 17:52   #31

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36
Re: Anchor Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
That wouldn’t necessarily mark a morning field, it marks as you say a special anchorage which could be a mooring field or it could be just a spot to anchor with no signs of moorings around.
No. Mooring fields are special anchorages. They are areas such as yacht clubs or municipal mooring fields that are specifically designated as places where moorings are placed.

Think of 'special anchorage' and 'mooring field' as being the same thing.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 17:57   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
No. Mooring fields are special anchorages. They are areas such as yacht clubs or municipal mooring fields that are specifically designated as places where moorings are placed.

Think of 'special anchorage' and 'mooring field' as being the same thing.

I’m sorry, they aren’t the same thing. Here’s a picture of Boot Key Harbor, 264 moorings there yet not charted as a designated anchorage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5593.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	179212
And here’s a page from the Boot Key Harbor mooring field regulations stating an anchor light is required.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5598.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	179214
The FWC is well known for giving tickets out to boats inBKH that’s don’t show an anchor light and will even ticket you if you don’t have a light on your dinghy while tied up behind you at night.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 18:02   #33

Mooring field = Special anchorage.
Special anchorage = mooring field.

Nuff said. And, NOAA charts are the definitive. Not some after market POS chart with little to no detail.
Old 18-10-2018, 18:08   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

It’s worth pointing out that not all mooring fields are located in special regulation anchorages and that a simple glance at the chart (in the US) will inform you of its status or lack thereof.

Pro tip: If everyone in a mooring field has their anchor light on, turn yours on lol.
Old 18-10-2018, 18:11   #35
smj

I can think of only 2 mooring fields in Florida that are in special anchorages, they would be Stuart and Vero. The rest require an anchor light at night, legally.
Old 18-10-2018, 18:15   #36

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

I keep a single, automatic LED solar garden lamp clamped to my bimini top. Cheap insurance in case I ever forget to turn on the real deal.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 18:18   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

This mooring field thing is sure sounding like a silly argument becacause it’s so easy if you know of a bunch of them to look at a chart and see they arent marked (maybe some are, I’m not going to chase everyone of them on the chart), but of this is just imo and matters little really. If I wasn’t just sitting around waiting a weTher window I wouldn’t even note the battle.
Old 18-10-2018, 18:19   #38

OK, so I checked the NOAA chart for Boot Key and yes, it would appear that it is not designated as a special anchorage but is replete with moorings. This is an anomaly that I have never experienced in New England where things are a bit more stable.

So, do all 264 boats have to turn on their anchor lights at sunset?
Old 18-10-2018, 18:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This mooring field thing is sure sounding like a silly argument becacause it’s so easy if you know of a bunch of them to look at a chart and see they arent marked (maybe some are, I’m not going to chase everyone of them on the chart), but of this is just imo and matters little really. If I wasn’t just sitting around waiting a weTher window I wouldn’t even note the battle.

You started the thread.
Old 18-10-2018, 19:12   #40
smj

Anchor Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
OK, so I checked the NOAA chart for Boot Key and yes, it would appear that it is not designated as a special anchorage but is replete with moorings. This is an anomaly that I have never experienced in New England where things are a bit more stable.

So, do all 264 boats have to turn on their anchor lights at sunset?

Things are pretty stable in Florida if your aware of the regulations. And yes all the boats on moorings show anchor lights......or pay the price[emoji38]
Old 18-10-2018, 20:16   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don’t understand why boats don’t make a better effort of making their anchored boats visible. I’m anchored next to a little mooring field and none of the boats in it have any lights. Yet I’ve watched boats motor right through the mooring balls earlier today. Another boat is anchored here next to me and they have the standard masthead light on. Yet even though I know where they are I can’t see them and that “Star” doesn’t help.

Meanwhile I have 2 approved anchor lights mounted above my cockpit. Not only are they visible to any boat motoring/sailing near me they reflect off all the white surfaces of the cockpit etc. and I have blue led lights on both sides mounted to the lifelines. They aren't visible from a long way away, but within 200-300 feet they stand out (it’s how I find my boat among the other few that have useful lights).

I just don’t understand boaters happy to “meet the anchor light requirement” but not in making it so others will see them and not run into their boat.

I have bitter, practical experience with the visibility (or rather, invisibility) of mast-top anchor lights -- an uninsured commercial fisherman in a steel boat ran into me a few years ago as a result, causing £25 000 worth of damage and taking my boat out of action for a whole winter

Since then, I never rely on the things, which as you say can't be seen from close up. In fact I would say that from far away they look like stars and are not noticeable, and from close up you can't see them at all unless you look up

In the places I cruise these days, there is normally no traffic, and for that matter, no darkness in the summer, but I'm now very careful to be well lit. Note that ships put on their deck lights at anchor. I think using deck or spreader lights is the most visible you can get, although that may disturb someone's sleep with that kind of light shining through the hatches. You can also hoist a lantern into the foretriangle where you would put your anchor ball (you do use an anchor ball, right?). My boat has lights inside the hull ports which really light up the ports -- I usually leave some of those on, too.

Someone questioned whether additional lighting is COLREGs compliant -- no lighting which can't be confused with COLREGs regulated lighting, is a violation, so light 'er up, boys. I think standard mast-top anchor lights are actually a violation -- the Rule says "where it can best be seen", and the top of the mast is definitely NOT that place, where the light can best be seen, in my opinion.

Good thread. This is something many of us -- including me, before my accident -- don't think about enough.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 20:58   #42

Two thoughts on this. There must be a way that the Coast Guard decides what is a designated anchorage and what isnt. Maybe Townships apply or Yacht Clubs and go thru some kind of approval. If the mooring fields in question are not listed as a designated anchorage then see if it can be changed. I would assume the first priority would be distance from any kind of shipping channel, but once on a chart there should really be no need to have every boat lite up. I also assume people sailing at night pay attention to charts and keep a good lookout. Second point: I would not recommend kerosene anchor lights to anyone. My first cruising boat was enginless/no electrics. My first night in the Marquesas , having anchored a little outside of the pack and feeling good about my nice Perko kerosene anchor light, I went to row out to the boat after dark and thought my boat had drug anchor and was gone. I rowed out looking and finally saw a dim little glow. That anchor light wasnt good for much more than a quarter of a mile, let alone being a two mile light. I came to the conclusion that it was good for moral support (a false sense of security) and not much else. Just my thoughts. _____ Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 00:57   #43

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The only places to my knowledge that don’t require anchor lights are CG designated or special anchorages. These are marked on your chart and consist of both mooring fields and anchorages. Most mooring fields where we have cruised require anchor lights and most anchorages require anchor lights.

You should try OZ. Most all of the mooring fields there do not require anchor lights and it can be very difficult in inclement weather due to poor visibility.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 03:07   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In the places I cruise these days, there is normally no traffic, and for that matter, no darkness in the summer, but I'm now very careful to be well lit. Note that ships put on their deck lights at anchor. I think using deck or spreader lights is the most visible you can get, although that may disturb someone's sleep with that kind of light shining through the hatches. You can also hoist a lantern into the foretriangle where you would put your anchor ball (you do use an anchor ball, right?).

I think there is a threshold beyond which additional lighting transgresses from the useful and prudent to obnoxious and even dangerous. More than once I have navigated through an anchorage past a boat lit up like a Christmas tree and swearing out loud about my night vision being impacted. Too much light may be great for your boat but at the expense of others. Certainly deck and or spreader lights fit in that category.

If I’m concerned in a given anchorage I hang a Luci light in the fore triangle and maybe one under the bimini. They are bright enough to be seen without being too bright.
Old 19-10-2018, 04:43   #45

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

In the US Special anchorages and anchorage grounds are designated by the Coast Guard.
For a list of them see
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/part-110

Here in New England most special anchorages are mooring fields controlled by the local Harbormaster.

In Boston the anchorage grounds are typically used by larger ships and vessels. I occasionally see a large yacht anchored out as well.

The special anchorages relieve vessels under 20 meters from the lighting requirements. The anchorage grounds do not.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor