Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 18:24   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anchor Lights

The masthead anchor light is often the first one we see, as we are approaching an anchorage in the dark. I think it IS important for that reason.

However, once you are among the anchored boats, looking for a slot to put yourself in, the lower down anchor light, which usually illuminates quite a lot of the boat, really helps you find a slot if one is there.

Fwiw, the inexpensive garden lights go very dim: depends on how old their batteries are, how early they get dim. Just an opinion, but I think a normal light powered by ships batteries, or by rechargeables that stay bright all night, are a much better way to go.

Ann
Old 19-10-2018, 19:01   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Knowing that many boats are poorly lit at night or not at all, why wouldn't you just keep a sharper lookout when transiting an area where boats are moored or anchored? I've rowed through dark mooring fields/anchorages hundreds of times and never hit anyone. It's easy enough to carry an LED headlamp to make sure you're not aiming for anyone. Grousing about the bad seamanship of not lighting up is dumber than not having the good seamanship to pay attention.
Old 19-10-2018, 20:25   #48

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Garden lights for me. I have several mounted (ok taped) to my stanchions to give me light on deck. I have another one on the bimini for the cockpit. I have one (when anchored) on my flag halyard off the strbd spreader.
They do a lousy job on garden light QC of their batteries. Some last and last, and are bright, or they go dim within a month or so. Replacement batteries are available, but sometimes they don’t make a difference. Poor QA on the solar panel,but at a buck or two, who cares?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 22:05   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Oh, have "guns on boats" been addressed in a thread? I always wondered if folks carry 'em on their boat...LOL!
How about, Do guns on boats mitigate global warming prevent climate change and reduce polar ice cover loss?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 22:11   #50

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I use one of these:

They are specially made for the purpose. Cold white light. Auto on-off, draws 120mA. Is visible for 1.6NM. And not expensive to buy.

My version actually also has a downlight for cockpit lighting:

MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 02:38   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Garden lights as a supplement to a legal 2nm anchor light:

Garden lights on their own:
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 11:42   #52

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I agree. Ignoring whether lighting is required or not, anyone who has transited a packed anchorage in the dark knows how invisible our boats are- even sailboats with a masthead anchor light are 'invisible' when fairly close at hand.

Even though I rarely see other boats, I have had the habit of displaying 4- 2+ mile anchor lights [masthead, bow, stern, and amidships] for the last 30 years or so on various vessels I have had. Today, with quality, purpose built LED bulbs [with photo sensors] there is no logical counter argument at 0.1 amp 12VDC/bulb. That only consumes ~5AH/12 hours [e.g., during overnight dark period] for 4 very bright white lights.

That is an easy choice for me; one which requires no special arrangements or energy planning [or second thoughts...]

It may also be worth mentioning the effectiveness of passive reflective material [e.g., 3M self adjesive materials] installed in prime spots [mast, cabin sides, etc.] to provide some visibility for anyone shining some light [flashlight/ spotlight/ headlights, etc.] as they transit the area.

Venturing slightly beyond the OPs original focus, but still on the topic of being proactively 'visible' to other vessels, we also chose to transmit our AIS 24/7 [when not in a marina.] This adds maybe another ~10AH/24 hrs [likely less...] Another no brainer for me.

In perulous anchoring conditions, we also run the RADAR with a guard zone while at anchor. [Another ~1.5amps of 12VDC; ~18AH overnight.] This gives us early warning of a lee shore or other vessels [or floating objects- like ice bergs in some areas...]

We can also turn on our deck lights [one on each mast] and a 2000 lumen stern 'back-up' light from our berth or the main cabin, and we do so at first hint of a vessel in close proximity. [e.g., AIS or RADAR alert in the dark.] This is a very effective addition to our other lighting; enough so that I am considering wiring the deck lights via a delay-off relay (say 5 minutes) to the external alarm circuits for both AIS and RADAR.

Good discussion. Be safe everyone.

Cheers! Bill
Old 20-10-2018, 12:09   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If the mooring field is in a CG designated anchorage then you aren’t required to show an anchor light.
Can someone provide an exact quote from International ColRegs on this ?
or maybe this is just a US Inland rule ? if so I'd like to see that quote too.
I can't find it.
Old 20-10-2018, 12:22   #54
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Can someone provide an exact quote from International ColRegs on this ?

or maybe this is just a US Inland rule ? if so I'd like to see that quote too.

I can't find it.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l1-part110.xml
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 12:39   #55

Wrwakefield mentioned the use of reflective tape.

One way to do this that some friends of ours have done, is to use a reflective stripe, on the topsides, just below the toerail, that runs the length of the vessel. It shows up quite well by flashlight, and obviously belongs to a boat. They have done similar with 3M reflective patches on their dinghy chaps. Easy to do, and makes like a little safer.

Ann
Old 20-10-2018, 13:33   #56
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for that. Given the number of boats in Florida, it's surprising that there only seven such fields.

For our international members, this seems to be US thing only as I can find nothing like it in International rules.
Old 20-10-2018, 16:24   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW...

I'm kinda amused, kinda saddened by the posters whose main thrust is hoping to "get away" with not lighting their boats (if any) by claiming to be in designated anchorages (of whatever description or legality).

Whether required by law, custom or local regulation or not, lighting an anchored OR moored vessel is in the best interests of the owner. What sort of warped sense says that it is better to remain unlit? The costs are low, both in installation and in running, and from experience, I can tell you that being hit at anchor is quite the contrary.

It is true that the skilled and experienced sailor will be alert to the possibility of unlit vessels and take appropriate steps to reduce the chances of collision... but what about the all too prevalent less-than-skilled fellows who share our waters? Perhaps a good anchor light will keep him away from your gunnels!

Jim
Old 20-10-2018, 16:48   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW...

I'm kinda amused, kinda saddened by the posters whose main thrust is hoping to "get away" with not lighting their boats (if any) by claiming to be in designated anchorages (of whatever description or legality).

Whether required by law, custom or local regulation or not, lighting an anchored OR moored vessel is in the best interests of the owner. What sort of warped sense says that it is better to remain unlit? The costs are low, both in installation and in running, and from experience, I can tell you that being hit at anchor is quite the contrary.

It is true that the skilled and experienced sailor will be alert to the possibility of unlit vessels and take appropriate steps to reduce the chances of collision... but what about the all too prevalent less-than-skilled fellows who share our waters? Perhaps a good anchor light will keep him away from your gunnels!

Jim
+1 ...........
Old 05-11-2018, 15:55   #59
CLOD

Boat: none

So I’m anchored near Jacksonville Fl and just aways from me is this Coast Guard cutter on one of those commercial mooring balls. Near as I can count with my blurry eyes, they have at least 4 white lights on.

Just thought it worth noteing to you “do the minimum” people.
Old 05-11-2018, 17:11   #60

Can't blame them.

Think of the paper work they'd have to do if someone runs into them!

Ann

Tags
anchor