Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 09:18   #1

Anchor Line Chafe Protection

With hurricane season here again I was wondering what everyone uses for chafe protection for really heavy winds and how things turned out.

I've considered using a combination of these
Taylor Made Products -- Dock Products with a denim separator between it and the line to keep the two surfaces apart and generating even more heat.

Anyone care to share?
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:27   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Anchor Line Chafe Protection

I have found some fire hose not to hold up very long. There are several types of fabric fire hose. I think wildland fire hose might be the thickest.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:35   #3

I've seen firehose recommended by many but it seems like it would keep the water out (it keeps it in well enough). My understanding is that water on the line itself ameliorates heat generated from the line be stretched over and over again.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 09:59   #4

On our boat, when it's bouncing around enough to need chafe protection, it's often getting wet. Maybe you need two different types so you can choose. I have some red rubber engine water hose that is bomber. We have some clear water hose with colored mesh inside that shows no wear either. With these thicker hoses, you can poke a hole through the ends and lash the hose to the boat. With the fire hose you need a constrictor knot at each end to lash to the boat.
Old 13-06-2014, 18:51   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I've been using fire hose for years and have never had any problems, though admittedly I never rode out a full fledged hurricane.

I've seen lots of theoretical comments about fire hose keeping water out and allowing the rode to heat up, but I've never seen any first hand testimony to that effect. As Guy said in his post, when it's bouncy enough to need chafe gear it's usually pretty wet up where the anchor rode is. Unlike a real fire hose, a piece of same for chafe gear isn't sealed at both ends.
If it worries you that much, it's pretty simple to remove the rubber lining from the hose, leaving the outer casing, which is pretty darn tough all by itself.

I usually attach the fire hose by piercing it at both ends and using a couple of pieces of small stuff to tie it to the rode.

One thing about using items like clear hose for chafe gear -- make sure it won't fracture in very cold temperatures if you're in someplace north.
Old 13-06-2014, 19:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
One thing about using items like clear hose for chafe gear -- make sure it won't fracture in very cold temperatures if you're in someplace north.
That is about as alien planet as I can imagine. My ideas for chafe gear are tropical.
Old 13-06-2014, 19:44   #7

LMAO. You and me both Guy, but there are aliens out there.
Up north somewhere.
Old 13-06-2014, 21:12   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Has anyone used tubular webbing in heavy conditions? I have put webbing on a back
up rode that I have not used, but not sure would stand up.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 22:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:

I've seen lots of theoretical comments about fire hose keeping water out and allowing the rode to heat up, but I've never seen any first hand testimony to that effect. As Guy said in his post, when it's bouncy enough to need chafe gear it's usually pretty wet up where the anchor rode is. Unlike a real fire hose, a piece of same for chafe gear isn't sealed at both ends.
If it worries you that much, it's pretty simple to remove the rubber lining from the hose, leaving the outer casing, which is pretty darn tough all by itself.
Well now you have first hand testimony. After Katrina all of our dock lines were melted thru and all of our dock lines have either firehose or plastic tubing as chaff guards. I also inspected the huge pile of boats as well as all the ones left at the dock (not many). Absolutely all of the boats with firehose or other water proof chaff guards had melted dock lines that failed.

Following this, Practical Sailor, did a series of tests on chaff guards and found the same thing. Anything that restricts the free flow of water thru the line exacerbates heat build up and makes the line prone to heat destruction.

By far the best abrasion guard out there is NER Dyneema chaff guard.

There has been a lot of research into exactly this question in the last few months, driven in large part by a monster thread over at Sailing Anarchy on knots, soft shackles, and chaff. The majority of the chaff research has been done by Drew Frye at Sail Delmarva: The best chafe sleeve, and why a cover is NOT a chafe sleeve. .

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 05:58   #10

Thanks for the info Greg. Now I know.
I guess removing the rubber from the inside is a good idea when using fire hose
for chafe guard.
Old 14-06-2014, 16:01   #11
cruiser

Quote:
I guess removing the rubber from the inside is a good idea when using fire hose
for chafe guard.
We looked at the same web pages. We came to completely different conclusions.

This board never ceases to amaze.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 16:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

During tropical storms I am not attempting to prevent the chafe of my rode,- I'm trying to prevent my chain rode from chafing my foredeck! My plan is to attach three successive nylon snubbers to my chain rode. the first is holding a large loop of chain. The second is in place to carry the new stress from this slightly smaller loop if the first snubber chafes away and then a third is standing by if the second snubber fails. My 5/8" snubber lines of three strand nylon are led free and clear from a pair of bow cleats and not subject to a lack of cooling water or abrasion. Although, they are subject to the heat of constant alternating stretch and slack.
Old 14-06-2014, 20:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
We looked at the same web pages. We came to completely different conclusions.

This board never ceases to amaze.
Since you took a quote from one of my posts, am I supposed to be part of the above "we"?
If so, what are the "same web pages" that I am supposed to have looked at?
Old 15-06-2014, 04:02   #14

Hi
Went through Hurricane Charlie (105 knots) in Fort Myers Beach. Saw a lot of boats destroyed. Actually went through 4 hurricanes that year. Many were lost due to chafe or anchor dragging. We got through no damage. I had three large anchors out on long chains with one on rope and chain. All chain roads had snubbers. With Charlie coming most of the supplies had been already bought up. I needed more chafe protection than I had. A local fishing supply store advised the white hose with the hard helix in it. I had no other choice. After the storm the tank truck hose I used was unusable. The white hose is still on my boat 12 years and many storms later and useable. It was 1 1/2 inch with 3/4 nylon rope inside.
I can still close my eyes and see the 3/4 inch nylon stretch until it looked like 1/2 inch. Got me off the foredeck.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
Hi
I needed more chafe protection than I had. A local fishing supply store advised the white hose with the hard helix in it. I had no other choice. After the storm the tank truck hose I used was unusable. The white hose is still on my boat 12 years and many storms later and useable. It was 1 1/2 inch with 3/4 nylon rope inside.
I can still close my eyes and see the 3/4 inch nylon stretch until it looked like 1/2 inch. Got me off the foredeck.
Bob
What no melting?

Tags
anchor, rot