Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 16:29   #1

Anchor snubber

Need to make new. Have a problem with very noisy existing (3strand nylon rope, inside green hose for antichafe) Any recommendations for a quiet night's sleep? Can't get 10mm nylon braid, would 12mm Octobraid be stretchy enough? 34' keel out.
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:21   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Anchor snubber

I use 3 stand polyester , quiet rope.
Old 20-07-2021, 17:36   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We use nylon double braid. In the Southern Hemisphere, you have to get the supplier to order it specially for you. We do not use chafe gear on ours, want to be able to inspect it after each use, and we use larger diameter than is usually recommended (so there's some line left, should it chafe).

You should be able to use octoplait, but I would definitely use chafe gear with it if you have a known chafing spot. Those kevlar cloth sleeves seem to be really good.

Ann
Old 20-07-2021, 19:42   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Is there anything wrong with using dock line of a suitable diameter?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:49   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Any nylon line will work. Double braid is less stretchy than 3 strand or 8 plait, so you'll need more length to get enough stretch. In general, size for the needed strength (so you're not working it too hard which will lead to early failure). Then add length until you have enough stretch.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 19:04   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

You could add the EPDM rubber snubbers. Our snubber goes to a bolted fitting at the waterline then up to the roller.
The commercial tugs and ships have their line dipped in liquid 2 part chafe protection. Nothing better. You can do it yourself. Stops chafe period.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 21:06   #7

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Chafe guard is good if it is not water proof (hose) on synthetic lines. In the old days with natural fiber line it failed from the outside in. Synthetic lines melt then fail. check out a line that has been stressed and feels a bit stiff, that has melted a bit. Canvas chafe guard won’t keep the heat in as much as hose and if there’s rain or spray that will soak through and cool the line. Many boats use hose and as long as they don’t get severe use it works, kinda like anchoring without a snubber it works most of the time. In a serious blow the chain goes bar tight and synthetic line heats up at the cleat or fair lead. Even with a proper snubber we let out a bit of snubber every so often in tropical storm conditions. Fair Winds
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 23:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic008 View Post
Need to make new. Have a problem with very noisy existing (3strand nylon rope, inside green hose for antichafe) Any recommendations for a quiet night's sleep? Can't get 10mm nylon braid, would 12mm Octobraid be stretchy enough? 34' keel out.
Using Dyneema where the snubber passes over the bow roller or fairlead is worth considering. The Dyneema is slippery so makes little noise. If you are still concerned about chafe it can be oversized or a Dyneema sleeve can be added.

The Dyneema has very little stretch so only use this where the snubber is exposed to chafe . A reasonable length of nylon is still needed for stretch. It is worth some experimentation to find the ideal length of nylon, but around 10-12m ((40 feet) is a reasonable starting point. On some boats you can attach the snubber to the stern cleats so the snubber does not have to extend a long way past the bow roller.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 03:58   #9

Boat: Tartan 4100

Do you know where the noise is coming from? If it's noise from the anti-chafe rubbing, then switch to a dacron sleeve anti chafe, if the noise is coming from the snubber rubbing against the chain as the boat swings, then perhaps shorten the snubber a bit and make sure that the chain is led off to the correct side. Sometimes we'll take a bungee chord and pull the slack chain away so it doesn't have a chance at rubbing against the snubber.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 09:01   #10

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
Even with a proper snubber we let out a bit of snubber every so often in tropical storm conditions. Fair Winds
Having ridden out Elsa on board I'm curious, how do you manage to safely let out/adjust your snubber with that level of tension on the line?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 14:05   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

What sort of chain grip do you guys use? I need something which will lock onto the chain so i can then walk back to the cockpit and drop another 5-10 metres (15-30 ft). I tried a Wichard which has a locking pin but that got twisted and bent on the second occasion. I now use a SS hook but the problem is that it tends to drop off the chain until there is some tension. I hve in fact a temporary solution using elastic bands across the opening of the hook but i am looking for something better.
My second question is what sort of knot would you recommend to secure to the chain grip if i am using climbing rope for my snubber because i know that climbing rope is difficult to knot.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 14-08-2021, 16:12   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic008 View Post
On our boat the snubber rope was stretching and making noise where it goes over the roller inside the anti-chafing hose. Worse than the noise was the wear we were seeing at that point, AND the anti-chafing hose was melting AND the snubber was wearing out!

(this was in an unusual anchorage situation with big choppy waves and lots of wind)

We solved the problem by using non-stretching line from the cleat to a point over the bow. At that point we attached the stretchy line which leads to the chain hook. The non-stretchy line goes through the anti chafe hose. Since it does not stretch or rub where it contacts the bow roller it is quiet, and does not heat up.

Tags
anchor