Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 14:24   #46

Boat: Moody 49
Re: Anchor Strobe Lights & Underwater Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
They are not just aggravating, at least the strobe is illegal under COLREGS.

I suspect that the blue light crowd are just aping the practice of some large and ostentatious motor yachts... I believe they were the first to employ this sort of bling.

I find t hem kinda amusing... kinda like the antics of one's younger cousin who was kicked in the head by a mule at age 5 and has been a bit weird ever since!

Jim (the cynic)
Jim, perhaps you can direct me to the para in Colregs that supports your “illegal” statement.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:14   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
Jim, perhaps you can direct me to the para in Colregs that supports your “illegal” statement.
As posted upthread in several places:

Rule 36
... Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be
such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

Jim
Old 01-03-2020, 16:12   #48

Jim,

Thank you. I personally use a low intensity flashing white light in my aft cockpit area at night in crowded anchorages. It is not my anchor light but I have found it to be very effective when seen by late night revellers and others “in near to the surface vessels” who do not seem to look up.

But as you say “avoided” is the watchword - not illegal.

Oh and the Reg 36 governs attracting attention not maintaining my Gelcoat!

of course the wise mariner would ensure their low intensity flash does not have a great range, is white - not yellow (don’t want to be confused with a hovercraft) and does not flash in the same sequence as any cardinal.
Fair winds.
Old 01-03-2020, 16:28   #49

Quote:
But as you say “avoided” is the watchword - not illegal.
Well, when COLREGS says "avoid" and you do not do so, you are in contravention of the rules... and that is illegal by my definition, and that of most others I believe, including the USCG.

I don't have a gripe about your low intensity flashing light, but am curious as to w hat flash sequence you use that can not be confused with a legit nav aid?

Jim
Old 01-03-2020, 18:19   #50

Jim,

We are into real semantics here but that is the nature - I use a low intensity slow flash to distinguish by light alone from a flashing/ quick flashing N Cardinal.

I only use in crowded anchorages so location would also be a distinguishing factor..

The light is also ‘below,’ a properly set and intensity correct for range and colour, white all round anchor light.
Old 01-03-2020, 18:37   #51

Quote:
We are into real semantics here but that is the nature - I use a low intensity slow flash to distinguish by light alone from a flashing/ quick flashing N Cardinal.
We've likely carried this beyond necessity, but that could be confused with an equal interval white as sometimes seen on range lights. But enough! I'm not criticizing your usage there.

Our setup is a masthead all around white and an all around white hung above the boom in the lazy jacks... perhaps 10 feet above the WL. The lower one illuminates the aft portion of the boat to some degree and is pretty easily seen from a dink or from an approaching small craft. Also this combination helps pick out our boat from the others in a crowded anchorage (which we seldom encounter these days).

And FWIW, I don't have any difficulty in seeing and distinguishing masthead lights (if as bright as many modern LED anchor lights are) from the dinghy or from my helm. I think their weak point is being seen from yachts with biminis that obscure upward vision... a design feature with several disadvantages IMO.

But down with strobes!

Jim
Old 02-03-2020, 04:29   #52

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

We have recently shared crowded Martinique anchorages with a boat displaying a high intensity mast top strobe as an anchor light, luckily from a distance. Would be very annoying to be nearby. Imagine if more boats decided to also do it. Results would be seizure inducing.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:52   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
We've likely carried this beyond necessity, but that could be confused with an equal interval white as sometimes seen on range lights. But enough! I'm not criticizing your usage there.

Our setup is a masthead all around white and an all around white hung above the boom in the lazy jacks... perhaps 10 feet above the WL. The lower one illuminates the aft portion of the boat to some degree and is pretty easily seen from a dink or from an approaching small craft. Also this combination helps pick out our boat from the others in a crowded anchorage (which we seldom encounter these days).

And FWIW, I don't have any difficulty in seeing and distinguishing masthead lights (if as bright as many modern LED anchor lights are) from the dinghy or from my helm. I think their weak point is being seen from yachts with biminis that obscure upward vision... a design feature with several disadvantages IMO.

But down with strobes!

Jim

Down with all kinds of flashing lights used for non-emergency purposes, especially near any kind of buoyage. Very confusing, and confusion can mean grounding or worse.

However, concerning masttop anchor lights -- I DO confess to not being able to see them. I think with or without a bimini -- you have to remember to look up, and it's just not natural. I think I'm not the only person who misses them. Therefore I do really recommend people light up something lower.

And by the way, there is nothing in the COLREGS which requires the anchor light to be at the top of the mast. One might reasonably forgo that configuration altogether and put the anchor light lower down where it can be better seen.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:08   #54

Colreg's are for people that knows and follows the Reg's. Colreg's don't work in 75% of the world...I use my strobe any time i like in Hong Kong as it attracts attention among the others that either don't have any lights, or use any available battery powered light. Safety first.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:29   #55

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleprop View Post
Colreg's are for people that knows and follows the Reg's. Colreg's don't work in 75% of the world...I use my strobe any time i like in Hong Kong as it attracts attention among the others that either don't have any lights, or use any available battery powered light. Safety first.
One could argue that by not following international rules of the water you are risking your life and others that you may have on board or hit , I bet you none of the commercial ships are using strobes or not conforming to rules , but then this is why commercial ships hate yotties
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are living aboard in the eastern Caribbean now for the 4th season.

Many boats display no night lighting. Perhaps half the boats do not. Almost all dinghys have no night navigation lights and none carry PFDs.

Mast head lights are nearly impossible to see in an anchorage as noted above.

Entering an anchorage after dark is among the highest risk of anything we do. I have done it twice in four years and was scared s-less at only a half knot and a watch on deck with a huge spot light. Many unlighted boats.

We have added LED solar recharged “Christmas “ lights to the life lines all around. Easy to find the boat. The requisite mast anchor light does little to mark the boat for anyone navigating in the dark. Deck level all around is far super no matter the regulations. The goal is to avoid a collision.

We see deck level intense blue lights occasionally and some multi light flashing LED clusters, all at deck level. These are great for adding to your boat visibility. I have a mast top strobe rarely used. Great in fog like a visible fog horn.

COLREGS seems not to have much traction here except for cruisers. Locals do whatever they choose. Remember, the goal is to avoid getting whacked. I prefer any lights to no lights. The CG will not be issuing citations. If US uniformity is critical then I suggest you stay home.

St Ann, Martinique. Half of the boats have no lights. A few have red-green nav lights at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F141BF19-0234-4A46-879E-1E319577AFA5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	210164  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:22   #57

Quote:
Well, when COLREGS says "avoid" and you do not do so, you are in contravention of the rules... and that is illegal by my definition, and that of most others I believe, including the USCG.

I don't have a gripe about your low intensity flashing light, but am curious as to w hat flash sequence you use that can not be confused with a legit nav aid?

Jim
As in to Avoid Collision, perhaps.

It would seem easy enough to hang a revolving mirrored disco ball from the forestay and project a bright spot light from beneath, directly up from the deck so as to have glittering reflections projected all around, not flashing or strobing mind you, rather just twinkling and spinning, and not intensely bright, but very, very noticeable. [Also rather distinct, sure to aid you in finding your boat in a large crowded marina when returning on your dinghy after a night partying it up at the shoreside bars; Hmmm, now where is our boat, Ah, there it is!]. Heck one could even have the light that is projected onto the revolving mirror ball change as to colors colors, LED lights are often selectively programmed to a choice of colors or to have their colors shift.

Kind of like the night version of the round black day shape signal used when at anchor.

Or one of these miniballs with selective light configuration, for pure enjoyment:

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:30   #58

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We are living aboard in the eastern Caribbean now for the 4th season.
. If US uniformity is critical then I suggest you stay home.

St Ann, Martinique. Half of the boats have no lights. A few have red-green nav lights at anchor.
Silly statement you do not pick and choose colregs for your own purpose , and in the Caribbean either they fall upon Dutch law , French law US law of UK law or variations of so you go ahead and have a strobe and if someone hits you at anchor and you try to get your insurance money from the culprit who swears and has witnesses to prove you were not displaying the correct light but hey you looked like a floating Xmas tree , I wonder what the outcome will be , but hey why do you not stay at home unless you are willing to obey the rules
There is also a reason the locals in their 100 dollar boats do not use lights , but when your boat costs 100000+ dollars you bet your bum I am staying within the law
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:03   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Anchorage’s have become crowded
The object of any nav light is to make your vessel visible
In addition to required lighting you can illuminate your vessel with as many lights as you like
Not exactly true. You can use other lights as long as they can not be mistaken for navigation lights. Since a strobe light is a recognized signal, you can not (legally) use it as auxiliary lighting for some other purpose.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Silly statement you do not pick and choose colregs for your own purpose , and in the Caribbean either they fall upon Dutch law , French law US law of UK law or variations of so you go ahead and have a strobe and if someone hits you at anchor and you try to get your insurance money from the culprit who swears and has witnesses to prove you were not displaying the correct light but hey you looked like a floating Xmas tree , I wonder what the outcome will be , but hey why do you not stay at home unless you are willing to obey the rules
There is also a reason the locals in their 100 dollar boats do not use lights , but when your boat costs 100000+ dollars you bet your bum I am staying within the law
You clearly did not understand. We display the mast top light as required. It is nearly worthless against the shore clutter and other lights. It is also too high, 80 ft, to be seen from under a Bimini. We have added all around the lifeline LEDs to define the vessel. I am grateful for added lights or ANY lights on boats in the event we enter a harbor at night.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, water