Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 19:36   #91

Boat: Burger, RPH 90'
Re: Anchor Strobe Lights & Underwater Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Anchorage’s have become crowded

When approaching a crowded anchorage at night , anchor lights become invisible against background shore light pollution . Very difficult to see the anchored boats

The object of any nav light is to make your vessel visible
In addition to required lighting you can illuminate your vessel with as many lights as you like

Disco lights , neon signs , Golden Arches Laser lights shows ...

A strobe light can be used

It not illegal

It’s not a navigation light

It not illegal if they also have the proper anchor lights on. Additional lights that CANNOT be mistaken for navigation or other signals in the COLREG are allowed.
Fair_Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 20:49   #92
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Sorry

In no regulation that I have ever seen is White used to indicate distress

Just remind please, what colour is used to indicate distress?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 23:14   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Port!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 00:01   #94

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It depends...

When I'm scared to death I turn white, when I'm seasick I turn green, when I am really cold I turn blue, when I'm jaundiced I turn yellow, when I'm really tired I turn grey, when I'm sunburned I turn red... all of those are situations of distress.

And we call Afro Americans "colored"... how weird is that?

Jim
Old 09-03-2020, 01:46   #95

Brown
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:08   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
This is simply incorrect information, bad advice, and the suggestions above are illegal!

Review Rules 20, 36, and 37 of the COLREGs and US International & Inland Rules. (https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf)

(https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...lerts/1015.pdf)

(https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageNam...ulesFAQ#0.3_14)

While it is unlikely anyone would respond in non-US waters, in the US a better solution than I suggested above of knocking on the hull at 3 am (which was a bit tongue in cheek), would be to simply to call the USCG or local marine police unit and report a vessel in distress.
My Cat 30 Tall was fitted with a strobe. The PO and anyone else with whom I have crossed paths and noted this said turning on the strobe is like broadcasting an SOS. I expect USCG ignores strobes at moorings, assuming IBM errors. Shame that, if someone was really having an emergency at moorings, it will probably go unnoticed because of the common misuse.
Seoladair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:59   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I would like to see all boats display a legal anchor light that meets or exceeds the 2nm visibility requirements, but personally I do not mind, and in fact would encourage any additional lighting they wish to use. This includes lights that are flashing, coloured, underwater etc. If entering an anchorage at night any lighting that is displayed on other boats is a bonus. However, I would stress only if this was in addition to the legally required anchor light.

It is possible that excessive lighting could become annoying to other boats in the anchorage, but personally I have never encountered a boat where this was an issue and I have anchored next to a few superyachts.

From a practical point of view I think a flashing light used as an aid to improve visibility (for example a flashing sola garden light strapped to the pulpit or stern) would be unlikely to be perceived as a distress signal. My greater concern is that it could be misinterpreted as an aid to navigation such as cardinal mark so some care is needed in locations where this a practical risk.

Personally, I don’t use any flashing anchor lights. I use a legal anchor light together with deck or interior lights to improve visibility. If I use stern tie lines of any length, I do attach a battery powered light at mid point to serve as a warning. The battery powered fishing float lights are ideal and if flashing (as many are) they can be made brighter and more noticeable for the same power consumption. If you want to knock on my hull at 3am to see if I am in distress, feel free, but don’t expect to offered a coffee or nip of Scotch for your trouble .

I agree with all of this in general, just with the somewhat academic remark that a strobe light could theoretically be confused with a distress signal so maybe is not the best choice of the multitude of other lights you could be showing.

I always show a legal anchor light, but having actually been run into at night by someone who didn't see it, I don't count on that for visibility at all. Besides the legal anchor light, I always leave secondary lights on in the salon which light up the hull ports, and I often hang a battery powered lantern in the cockpit or from the backstay. In cases where I'm really concerned -- someplace which is not obviously an anchorage, where there's traffic -- I leave a deck light on. I think it's actually essential to show more lights than just a standard anchor light.

What concerns underwater lights -- this doesn't bother me at all. I've been on boats with these, and it's enjoyable to watch the sea life playing in the light. They enhance visibility of the boat as well.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:02   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoladair View Post
My Cat 30 Tall was fitted with a strobe. The PO and anyone else with whom I have crossed paths and noted this said turning on the strobe is like broadcasting an SOS. I expect USCG ignores strobes at moorings, assuming IBM errors. Shame that, if someone was really having an emergency at moorings, it will probably go unnoticed because of the common misuse.

I agree with you in theory and in principle, but in practice? I've never heard of anyone using a strobe to signal distress, when they have a working radio, flares, or any other better means for that. Strobe has got to be quite far down the list.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 08-05-2023, 07:17   #99

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
Stop and think. You do what is necessary and prudent to prevent collision. The rules recognize that they may not prescribe safe and prudent under all circumstances. Small consolation if your boat is hit and your only retort is "I followed the rules to the letter."

Imagine night busy crowded anchorage with unlit dinghies at full throttle rushing through the mooring field. Think the dinghy operator can see a masthead light 65' in the air on an otherwise darkened boat a 100 yards away?

Rules are wonderful things but they don't always insure safety.

If a dinghy or any boat is full throttle thru an achorage then they deserve to be beaten and sunk. How about we get to the root of the issue - in attentive and crazy boaters!!
Old 08-05-2023, 08:29   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What concerns underwater lights -- …

Underwater lights throughout the night is a very annoying light pollution to the environment and the sight of beautiful stars, especially in remote anchorages: Not necessary, at least not all night long, please save some darkness out there for all living things that enjoy it, including me.
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:43   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_sail View Post
Underwater lights throughout the night is a very annoying light pollution to the environment and the sight of beautiful stars, especially in remote anchorages: Not necessary, at least not all night long, please save some darkness out there for all living things that enjoy it, including me.

Well, I don't have them on my boat, so no need to appeal to me.

I haven't noticed that they are a source of light pollution, however. The light is highly localized in the water. Plus the kind of boats which have these are rarely seen in remote anchorages.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-05-2023, 08:33   #102

Quote:
I agree with you in theory and in principle, but in practice? I've never heard of anyone using a strobe to signal distress, when they have a working radio, flares, or any other better means for that. Strobe has got to be quite far down the list.
Yeah, me as well. Just some officious finger waggers scolding me at the dock the first year I had the boat. I was checking the lighting at dusk after replacing one of the mast cable plugs. The way the woman addressed me, you would have thought I jumped up and shouted fire in a theater. I think she was cranky because the marina put us in their friend's usual slip. And, they apparently didn't like having those scruffy sailing types next to their power boats.

They had the blue underwater lights, I thought it was sort of cool. At least they shut them off after they tucked in for the night. Even fish need to get some shuteye.

I inquired after the strobe with the sailing instructor at the sailing school on the dock next to ours. He said it was reserved for emergencies but, meh, no ones pays attention to them in the marinas beyond annoyance with the inconsideration for others.
Seoladair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:26   #103

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Strobes are commonly incorporated into survival kit - liferafts, lifevests, etc. so that survivors can be located. Divers often use battery-powered strobes so they can be located after surfacing. It is unlikely that a mast-head strobe would be confused for such use, but as strobes are listed as distress signals in some jurisdictions, it makes no sense to use them as anchor lights or supplements.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, water