Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 18:10   #136

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Anchoring Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'd rather have neither, and would see to it that I was away from the 20' one. Anyone who does that is also a jerk, and I have no way of knowing what he or she knows about anchoring.
I would rather not have someone at 20ft but sometimes it happens. Things usually work out a lot better when you are polite and understanding instead of territorially. That's another type of anchor jerk.

Just watching someone set a hook tells you a lot about their capabilities and sometimes anchorages are just jammed packed.

I love anchor threads....
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:11   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Had a guy try to influence me once by comming up on deck with a hand gun, set it up on the coming in clear sight so I would see it..
I went below, grabed the large wooden box, came up on deck and proceeded to pull out my 18 inch, fully functionable, Cannon, that sports a 1 inch ball. and dropped it into the custom mount that sits atop my #56 LewMar winches.
He picked up his pistol and went below... didnt see him for the rest of the weekend..
Interesting. I happen to have one of those myself. Great toy for New Years Eve and starting races.

Don't know if you have ever set it off with a ball in it but if you do it will probably take the Lewmar off the deck. I put a ball all the way through a 2 1/2' diameter pine tree and the recoil sent the cannon (on a carriage) about 25' across my back porch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:11   #138

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'd rather have neither, and would see to it that I was away from the 20' one. Anyone who does that is also a jerk, and I have no way of knowing what he or she knows about anchoring.
I would rather not have someone at 20ft but sometimes it happens. Things usually work out a lot better when you are polite and understanding instead of territorially. That's another type of anchor jerk.

Just watching someone set a hook tells you a lot about their capabilities and sometimes anchorages are just jammed packed.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 19:05   #139
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post

I love anchor threads....

Well, it tells YOU. I haven't been sailing all that long and one of my favorite phrases is "abundance of caution." I just would not stay 20' feet from another boat, and i would not judge it based on watching him anchor. But there's still a lesson there for someone with my level of experience -- don't arrive late. And, if someone insisted and for some reason I could not leave, I would get out camera, take pictures, write down registration numbers, and make no bones about that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 19:11   #140

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Back in the 60's anchored in Snug Cove on Bowen Island, BC with about 6 other smallish sailboats, a large powerboat with a 3 deck tower arrived just at sundown. We were all sitting quietly in our cockpits enjoying a late summer cocktail and watched the guy approach piloting from the top steering station with his wife/partner on the anchor windlass. Instead of quietly communicating with her, he used his PA system directing her her to 'drop anchor' which she obediently did. He backed down and when it was clear it didn't grab he directed her over the PA to 'up anchor'.
After about unsuccessful 3 attempts, each time his voice getting louder and more irate, he finally bellowed over his speaker system, 'drop the G.D. anchor NOW!'. She dropped it as commanded, still no grab and he unloaded on her over the PA.
With his anchor chain straight down in the water, she turned, put her hands on her hips and shouted for the entire bay to hear, 'F... Y..!', and walked in to the wheelhouse leaving him to climb down from his tower, raise the anchor and leave the anchorage to a standing ovation from all the other boats.
This is almost 50 years later and I still chuckle every time I recall the fiasco. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:07   #141

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

Stu, is that you from C36/34IA?
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring