Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2023, 12:24   #1

Question Annapolis boat show 2023 for used sailboat shopping?

Hi all,
We live in Quebec and are looking for a monohull in the 38' range. Our top pick at the minute is the Catalina 380/387 and the 42mkii.

Where we live is predominantly motor boats or small day sailers so getting to visit some potential sailboats is almost nil. Our other option is to visit a broker in Toronto and hope the inventory is good.
We've been told to get ourselves to the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show and really see tons of different sailboats all in one place.

That sounds great but looking at the website's exhibitor list makes me wonder if it would be a waste of time for us since we're not looking to buy a brand new modern production boat.

Are there older sailboats to visit at the show? What else would you recommend?
CORJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 13:19   #2

Re: Annapolis boat show 2023 for used sailboat shopping?

I think you are unlikely to see a bunch of those specific boats at any show.
Search on Yachtworld and go where there are several choices to look at.
You can search by make, size, price range, etc. and sort by distance and region. Right now, for instance, I am seeing several 38-42 ft. Catalinas in the New York metro region and a half dozen around the Chesapeake.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for.../?length=38-42
Danm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 13:32   #3

Yep. Was hoping to find some place that would be less peacemeal but if it's all boats we wouldn't want to buy now I don't see the point of the trip.?
It's a 7+hr drive to Toronto from us and about the same to NY. If not annapolis then will strategize a brokerage trip.
CORJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 14:07   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you are looking for a used boat, the boat show isn't going to help too much. They do have local brokers at the show w/some listings, but would be good to contact them before you drive down to discuss their inventory. Also the brokers may be busy w/the show so you may want to contact them before the show when it isn't as hectic.
Besides YW, possible check sailboatlistings, or sailing mags like Spin Sheet that usually has loads of used boats.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 14:37   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

A couple of the brokers in Annapolis will sometimes hold used boat shows prior to or after the big show. I think David Walters and Crusader do so. Perhaps others.

Your best starting point might be on YouTube. Most of the brokers now post video tours of their boats. They usually don't take them down after sale either. It's a good way to get an idea of what you like and don't like without worrying about traveling.

Good luck!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 15:54   #6

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

A few years ago there was a used area in the basin off Saint Mary’s, that has been eliminated as far as I know.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 16:34   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Another vote for not bothering. We are locals and usually go to the show, and have been to the used boat basin as mentioned above. But even when they had it, they had maybe a dozen boats, most of them higher end. And also as mentioned, I suspect it's a really bad time to try to coordinate with a broker to see a half a dozen boats in a weekend.

The show itself is definitely worth going to! Sometimes you get actual manufacturers reps that really know their products and can talk details much better than any vendor. But to take advantage of that, you usually need to start off with a boat that has given you the questions you want answers to! There are also manufacturers reps that are so clueless they don't even understand the question, let alone the answer to it. Most of those are in the electronics segment.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 14:05   #8

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I second the approach suggested by DANM1.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 15:19   #9

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

There are always people there selling used boats too, but for peak low budget boat shopping, walking boat yards and inquiring on boats with expired tags is a good way to get bargain boats.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 17:21   #10

Bought mine through united city yacht’s. had a broker from Ottawa show me some boats that were 2+ hour drive away for him. He drove back for the out of water survey that I couldn’t make it to and the in water sea trial. Even drove to the boat for a few very specific things my insurance was asking to get fixed before I completed the purchase.

Usually have 360 pics and videos too.
They recently sold a Catalina 42 that was in Windsor
Ixium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat, boat show, sail, sailboat, shopping