Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 36 - Simple Pleasures
Send a message via AIM to Subrock Send a message via Yahoo to Subrock
Annapolis Boat Show Moorings?

Wife and I are heading down south from Vermont next fall and would like to moor in/around Annapolis during boat show. Will have a car so being out a ways no problem. Anyone have any suggestions of a good place to stay - will need to refill water and pumpout maybe every week or so. Thanks, Rock
Old 12-01-2013, 09:37   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Annapolis Boat Show Moorings?

The car is a bigger problem than the boat. Unless you are a very early riser each day and can entertain yourself until the show opens parking is a pain. Eastport Elementary School ($20/day last year I think) is the best bet for most people.

I recommend getting down here by late Tuesday and anchor in Back Creek. There are lots of parking options and you can get a water taxi (or dinghy) to the show.

If you really want a mooring ball your options are the 5 balls in Back Creek, the half of the main field that is open during boat show, or the balls well up Spa Creek above the bridge. The small field in St Mary's Cove above the bridge is limited to 35' but there are balls for bigger boats further upstream.

There are Navy moorings in Weems Creek some people use but the maintenance is spotty and the locals watch people dragging the Navy's "hurricane" moorings around from time to time.

Other than the three creeks I've mentioned there really aren't moorings near Annapolis. You would have to anchor. The challenge then becomes finding a place with shore access to your car and then dealing with parking. There are some anchorages up South River that work but that really isn't convenient.

Why a car at all? Skip it, anchor in Back Creek, and enjoy Annapolis.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:38   #3

Boat: Hunter 36 - Simple Pleasures
Send a message via AIM to Subrock Send a message via Yahoo to Subrock

Thanks, that is good information. I don't mind anchoring and that will work for me. I'm getting there well before the show so shouldn't be too crowded and my dinghy (a Portabote with a 3.5 HP) will work very well as transport.
Rock
Old 13-01-2013, 09:22   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Perfect. Give me a holler on your way down and I'll look for you. Anchor in Back Creek. Davis' Pub is at the end of 4th St in Eastport - good for lunch and dinner. Ken's Kitchen at Annapolis Landing Marina is good for breakfast and lunch. Leeward Market is at 2nd St in Eastport - good for breakfast and lunch. Dinghy to Moyer Park between Port Annapolis and Jabins and walk up Edgewood Road to Giant Food and to Jack's Fortune Chinese Restaurant. I can steer you to laundry and other services you might need. The City of Annapolis has a pump-out boat; call on Channel 17. Water taxi is on Channel 68.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show