Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2024, 11:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Another perspective on Orca Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
The wild animal bunch believe their opinions are "science" but they fail to see that protecting and promoting creatures like grizzly bears, wolves, orcas, sea lions is only their preference for such predators. If you want to promote bio-diversity and put the ecosphere back like it was - why not protect and promote creatures like polio virus, e.coli, brown rat, ebola? They deserve the same treatment even though they are not cuddly looking...
Your [rhetorical?] proposition looks, to me, like either:
A [joking?] reduction to absurdity;
or
A case of:Extreme Eco-Centrism, where every component, in this earth, is given equal intrinsic value and importance, considering them as ends, in themselves, and positing that all living things have a right to exist, regardless of their usefulness, or hazzard, to humans.
Anthropocentrism, on the other hand positis that most environmentalists are not really protecting the environment, but as a means to human ends. Environmentally sound innovations are meant to safeguard us, so that we can continue living.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 07:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kello View Post
Truly ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE. Recently I was too hot and tired to continue working on my boat, so I joined my not as hot and tired neighbors at the pool, and one of them had a brilliant (to me) insight on the Orca attacks. He said that for whales swimming under our boats that when they look up they see is something that looks like the silhouette of a big whale invading their territory, so they instinctively attack it. Sounds logical to me. I forget which neighbor that was, so if you want to send money like he was a nonprofit I'll keep it for my many impending boat projects.
If this were the case, orca attacks on boats would be worldwide, not restricted to the limited area they occur in, and furthermore, it would have been going on for decades, not just the few years that it's been taking place.

Sounds like his logic short-circuited partway through the process.
Old 13-08-2024, 07:44   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another perspective on Orca Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
If this were the case, orca attacks on boats would be worldwide, not restricted to the limited area they occur in, and furthermore, it would have been going on for decades, not just the few years that it's been taking place.

Sounds like his logic short-circuited partway through the process.
Naah.. they see the fin keel and think.. "Oh $hit, the poor bugga's upside down, let's help him get the right way up.."

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 10:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A nearsighted orca followed a submarine across the ocean.

Every time the sub' fired off a torpedo, the whale passed out cigars.

Old 13-08-2024, 13:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Shepard France
As we recently showed in several videos of our boat surrounded by 15 orcas [below], these majestic beings show no signs of aggression. Large, curious and playful cetaceans… whose damage, if any, is due more to their size and strength than to their desire to harm anyone. As a reminder, no human being has ever been injured by an orca in the wild, ever.”
Id' be interested in which of Sea Shepard's Steel Ships (and one 90 foot Aluminum Ketch) were they in when they were unharmed?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 14:05   #21

It's pre-internet, but there are still a few re-hash articles around, the first orca attack I heard about was the Robertsons, in 1972, in the Pacific near the Galapagos. And yet when you read about the methods of the whales, they sound very familiar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-18877090

https://people.com/i-survived-whale-...8-days-8657137
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2024, 02:25   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
It's pre-internet, but there are still a few re-hash articles around, the first orca attack I heard about was the Robertsons, in 1972, in the Pacific near the Galapagos. And yet when you read about the methods of the whales, they sound very familiar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-18877090

https://people.com/i-survived-whale-...8-days-8657137
Interesting story[s], but not really very informative - a paucity of detail, about the "attack".
According to Douglas Robertson:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
“... On June 15, 1972, some 18 months after the family embarked on their voyage, the schooner was attacked by three killer whales in the Pacific Ocean...

... It was two days and 200 miles out from the Galapagos when on June 15 at 10 o'clock in the morning that three killer whales attacked with a bone-jarring strike. “Bang, bang, bang!” was the first thing we heard. We knew instinctively we were in trouble.

Almost immediately, I poked my head down the cockpit hatch and saw water swirling around Dougal's ankles. Our words were interrupted by a loud surging noise over my left shoulder. I looked around and there were three killer whales in close company following us: a daddy, a baby, and a mommy. And the daddy whale had his head split open and was bleeding into the water...”

Old 14-08-2024, 03:38   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
orcas' attacks coincide with the area where Moroccan and Spanish drug smugglers dump tons of hash and cocaine each year deserves more merit. Why should drugged orcas act any different from drugged humans ?

b.
Bill, I am not a customer of the drug smugglers products, but dumping them at sea doesn't look like a good business model

Do you know how deep that bit of water is between Africa and Europe? Have a watch of the 1981 film Das Boot to give you an idea. Any that break up aren't going to alter the price of fish in the slightest. Alas the smugglers are good at protection and most packages end up on the shoreline pretty much in tact.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2024, 11:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
... Alas the smugglers are good at protection and most packages end up on the shoreline pretty much in tact.

Pete
HA! I think you have figured it out!

Maybe not all packages get to shore and the teenage Orca's have learned that ingesting floating packages of a given size, shape and color can lead to interesting, fun, mind altering experiences!

Playing with boat rudders after the teenagers have partaken of a bit of recreational chemistry is a result.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote