Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 23:33   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: anti-Facebook rule?

It's an old joke now, but i have no shame so will repeat it. Youtube, Twitter and Facebook are going to merge into one big social site, called Youtwitface.

Coops.
Old 19-03-2013, 02:41   #47

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Ho Ho, what a lot of sanctimonious twaddle!

You drink booze, so that makes you an alcho?

You had a joint at uni, so you are a druggo?

Oooohhh! C'mon, a bit of control, folks!

Whenever I get to about 150, I decide that I have too many FB "friends". So I promptly delete AT LEAST 50. Following the deletion, I send out a congratulatory message to the remainder, something along the lines of "Congratulations! You have survived the recent FB massacre and still remain my FB friend. Do not rest on your laurels. If you give me too many details about your breakfast/bowel movements/diet/weather/supermarket purchases/menstrual cycle, you may not survive the next massacre!"

Sometimes that message drops a few more off. No problem.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 02:55   #48

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Ho Ho, what a lot of sanctimonious twaddle!

You drink booze, so that makes you an alcho?

You had a joint at uni, so you are a druggo?

Oooohhh! C'mon, a bit of control, folks!

Whenever I get to about 150, I decide that I have too many FB "friends". So I promptly delete AT LEAST 50. Following the deletion, I send out a congratulatory message to the remainder, something along the lines of "Congratulations! You have survived the recent FB massacre and still remain my FB friend. Do not rest on your laurels. If you give me too many details about your breakfast/bowel movements/diet/weather/supermarket purchases/menstrual cycle, you may not survive the next massacre!"

Sometimes that message drops a few more off. No problem.
I am truly at a total loss as to why anyone would want to have a facebook account. I'm in complete agreement with Seaworthy Lass - it is unnerving when you meet people who would rather spend time on the net with their "Facebook friends" than sitting quietly with real people sharing a glass of wine or a good dinner.

Give me wine and dinner every time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 03:15   #49
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I am truly at a total loss as to why anyone would want to have a facebook account. I'm in complete agreement with Seaworthy Lass - it is unnerving when you meet people who would rather spend time on the net with their "Facebook friends" than sitting quietly with real people sharing a glass of wine or a good dinner.

Give me wine and dinner every time
It's actually a very versatile, easily customized free online tool able to be used in so many different ways and with the possibility of zero security issues if you're paranoid about that and just a little careful. Many people can't see past the surface "Got up, drank coffee lol" layer.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 04:18   #50

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
It's actually a very versatile, easily customized free online tool able to be used in so many different ways and with the possibility of zero security issues if you're paranoid about that and just a little careful. Many people can't see past the surface "Got up, drank coffee lol" layer.
+1
Old 19-03-2013, 05:11   #51

Social networks and privacy is like government. It only progresses in one direction bigger or less anonymity. From grocery thrift cards, debit or credit at gas pumps, surveillance cameras at every corner and shop. Cops instantly read your license plate from a distance and can flag an operator. Don't buckle your seatbelt and risk being stopped and asked a bunch or questions as if you were the enemy, which for the most part is what you are considered. Subscribe to cable? They know what you watch and when you watch. Smart phone? Well you know the drill, your are tracked from cell tower to cell tower. Pay taxes? Use a bank? They know you too and the Feds claim the right to track all your transactions. Just bought a new car? Pretty sure the black box is keeping data on how you drive. Need a doctor? Single payer is coming. Need a procedure? Well, it will depend on how productive you are, or connected you are or how old you are, or maybe even how many FaceBook friends you have. So if you have any kind of life, you are not really anonymous. In fact, if you don't share and refuse to submit to these daily intrusions you will be flagged as a "non-compliant".. which just invites more scrutiny. What is the answer, given the whining in this thread? You all know the answer but you chose differently. You have the kind society you chose. And from what I see you will get a lot more it in the future. Unless.........
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 05:25   #52

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

Review your friends! My one respect me not to want to be tagged all over. And, if they do, why should I hazzle with such a detal - life to short, Bro.
And, the ones you donīt want to take on the boat, donīt take them. Sailing is for experienced people. Weekend fun people are more likely a danger on board, so - apply safety argument if you cannot say NO....
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:41   #53

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: anti-Facebook rule?

puerile drivel! sanctimonius twaddle! Youtwitface!

I am loving it! As an old-timey English teacher and snake-eating Woodcraft Ranger, it's great to see this improvement in social discourse.

We showed them dumb SOBs!. We all got off FB, and found CF.

I'm a little on the paranoid side. I can't see any real good coming from Facebook or related info gathering.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:11   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
[SIZE=3]We showed them dumb SOBs!. We all got off FB, and found CF.
Yup ... CF is only better in scale than FB. Here's how CF is spying on its users:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF snooping.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	57325  
Old 19-03-2013, 07:13   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

fazepoo is a way for my momma to keep in what she deems closer touch with her first born the black sheep traveller of her brood of horrid kids.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:21   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure what you use FB for. I use Linkedin for professional networking. To me FB is nothing more than a bragging right site.
Yeah...
Facebook is so Jr High School.
It is a total per-pubescent mentality.
In the immortal words of Mr. T..., "Pity the fool!"
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I tried FB, I really tried, because I had a friend on there with a group that I was interested in, but I really couldn't stand it. Has to be the worst social interface going. My teenage kids tell me that they and their friends don't really use FB much anymore--it's considered old school, and even they hate all the friend requests from creepy people.
I agree. I originally set up a Facebook page to see how it might work for a sailing charter business I was thinking of starting and to see if it would boost traffic to my blog. I found it rather invasive and tricky to setup. I think I have less than 12 friends all of whom I know. Fine with me. You are right about the kids giving up on Facebook saw an article about that last week. Places like CF are all the social media sailors really need to stay informed from what I have seen so far.
Old 19-03-2013, 08:02   #58
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most of my classes have their own facebook groups, usually run by my TAs, and if I want to ask students to bring a specific text to class, it's a lot more effective to communicate with them via facebook than email. That's the nature of the beast these days, especially .
I can understand why you have it. Your business (teaching, whatever) is dealing with kids of the YouTube generation and as a business method it works.

I am not against it where people have a specic use for it. Others agree as the share price FB $26 NASDAQ is still vastly overpriced in normal terms, so many others see high value in it.

It's just weird that George Orwells 1984 has come about NOT by the Government but from the people themselves!

Crazy, eh?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:07   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I can understand why you have it. Your business (teaching, whatever) is dealing with kids of the YouTube generation and as a business method it works.

I am not against it where people have a specic use for it. Others agree as the share price FB $26 NASDAQ is still vastly overpriced in normal terms, so many others see high value in it.

It's just weird that George Orwells 1984 has come about NOT by the Government but from the people themselves!

Crazy, eh?

Mark
Indeed. Got to blame those "hippies" from the sixties chanting "the whole world is watching"! Indeed they are. Lesson is be careful what you wish for you may get it.
Old 19-03-2013, 08:17   #60

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I guess that anything can be turned into a "teachable moment".

My real problem with Facebook is that it eliminates human contact in communication and reduces everything in life to superficial, self-absorbed soundbites.
I am sure that in the long run it will provide a significant contribution to man's on going process of devolution.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule