Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 17:32   #16

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Anything better than Stugeron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmag View Post
i thought stugeron WAS the magic cure. anyone know where to get any without leaving the US? you can pm a link, if you have one.
Try Googling, say, sturgeon available in USA. It is not sold in the USA (not FDA approved), but you may be able to obtain it via mail order from Canada.
Old 06-03-2017, 18:03   #17

Boat: Lots of boats.

Been vey happy using Ginger capsules. Can buy them anywhere and they are a natural alternative without side effects.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 19:44   #18

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
About five years ago I posted the question "Is there anything better than Stugeron for seasickness?" Got a lot of responses but none since 2012. So, is there any new technology we can learn about?
i never heard that eating fish could cure seasickness. oh. wait a minute. i thought you said sturgeon. my mistake.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 00:52   #19
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Just for reference, Stugeron is a trade name but the active ingredient is Cinnarizine (cinnarizinum) and is available under different names as a drug against vertigo, motion sickness, Meniere disease and others. Usually available by prescription, in some countries OTC.

Stugeron contains 15mg of Cinnarizine in a single dose. Those who cannot obtain Stugeron locally may well be able to get a generic Cinnarizine formulation under a different name. Sure, the placebo effect will be gone but the chemistry will be the same.

Edit: for further reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnarizine
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:08   #20

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
About five years ago I posted the question "Is there anything better than Stugeron for seasickness?" Got a lot of responses but none since 2012. So, is there any new technology we can learn about?
In Australia you can buy pills from compounding chemists called ET's named I believe after a famous sports hero who hosted a fishing program and had a problem with sea sickness. They contain:
scopolamine,hbr,chlorpheniramine, caffeine ginger

Scopolamine is another name for hyoscine, the active ingredient of Kwells and travelcalm. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine found in some cold and flu tablets; caffeine to keep you awake and ginger because it has a reputation of helping with seasickness. No idea what hbr is.

My wife found that Stugeron want nearly as effective as ET's and it also used to put her to sleep which ET's don't. They cost about $2 a pill here but many people swear by them.

TwT
Old 07-03-2017, 03:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
In Australia you can buy pills from compounding chemists called ET's named I believe after a famous sports hero who hosted a fishing program and had a problem with sea sickness. They contain:

scopolamine,hbr,chlorpheniramine, caffeine ginger

No idea what hbr is.

Is it possible there is just a misplaced comma in the list? "Scopolamine hydrobromide" (hbr) is sometimes used to refer to scopolamine.
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since seasickness is so individual, you can't say what works for one person will work for another.
This ^^^^^

For some people, almost anything is better than Stugeron. My wife, for one. It seems to do absolutely nothing for her, though it works a treat for me. Meclizine works quite well for both of us. For some people, I have no doubt, Meclizine is useless.

You just have to try different things until you find something that works for you.

Of course, there's always Admiral Lord Nelson's prescription... two hours spent sitting under a tree. That works for pretty much everybody.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:04   #23

Boat: Sunbird, schooner, 32ft

Since sea sickness is due to motion sickness induced by stereoscopic vision, I think most of us still luckily have two eyes, then why not try to hoodwink the brain by closing one eye and keeping it closed till the sickness wears off? If it does not then try closing the other eye instead or both, depending on circumstances. I have found stugeron quite effective but been castigated for it making me sleepy when we dock. Good old father time usually cures it. 3 days at sea?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmag View Post
i thought stugeron WAS the magic cure. anyone know where to get any without leaving the US? you can pm a link, if you have one.
I bought ours on Ebay, shipped out of Cyprus I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I bought ours on Ebay, shipped out of Cyprus I think.
Just be careful that you get the low dose caps, like 15mg if I remember correctly. I have seen Mexican and Italian versions that were 75mgs. These MUST be cut to a smaller dose.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:02   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think common dosage is 25 mg? But here you go

stugeron | eBay
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:16   #27

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Just be careful that you get the low dose caps, like 15mg if I remember correctly. I have seen Mexican and Italian versions that were 75mgs. These MUST be cut to a smaller dose.
I agree!

I have seen good results with the UK Stugeron 15mg tablets.

The Croatian 75mg tablets made me feel a strange pressure in the back side of my eyeballs. Way too much stuff!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:22   #28

That's a normal response to anything Croatian......

Just kidding
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:10   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think common dosage is 25 mg? But here you go

stugeron | eBay
I just checked my stash. They are 15mg. I don't think you need any stronger dosage.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:17   #30

Boat: Salona 44

I have been using Stureron (cinnarazine) since the 1984 Sydney to Hobart race. In that disastrous and deadly race, more than half the fleet were stricken with sea sickness. The Kiwis on their maxi had none. "Why?" we asked. "Stugeron", they answered. They also won the race - only a third of the fleet made it. Since then, more than 50 ocean races later, sea sickness is not an issue on my boat. I usually get cinnarazine in Thailand (Boots or any reputable pharmacy). The airport pharmacy stores usually have these. It is not a prohibited drug so importing should not be an issue. Get the 25 mg (15mgs for lightweights), but start the regime the night before you sail. Taking them after you set sail is too late.

There are also some newer medications to stop vomiting due to chemotherapy. Ask your doctor. But for me and my crews, Stugeron is just fine if you take one at least 8 hours before you set sail (Then one every 8 hours after that for the next 24 hours.).
No Fixed Addres is offline   Reply With Quote